SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In ninth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “Your intense love [towards me] is beyond my words”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “Can I complete speaking about your nature of supremacy and supreme radiance?”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Ninth pAsuram. When asked “Why can’t you speak about what you have perceived/understood?”, AzhwAr replies “Your intense love [towards me] is beyond my words”.
uraikka vallEn allEn un ulappil kIrththi veLLaththin
karaikkaN enRu selvan nAn kAdhal mayalERinEn
puraippilAdha param paranE poyyilAdha param sudarE
iraiththu nalla mEn makkaL Eththa yAnum EththinEn
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
uraikka vallEn allEn – not capable (to sing your loving attitude towards your devotees);
ulappu il – endless
un – your
kIrththi – overwhelming love
veLLaththin – ocean’s
karaikkaN – shore
nAn – I
enRu – when
selvan – will reach?
(before I set out to speak)
kAdhal – out of love
maiyalERinEn – became bewildered;
puraippu ilAdha – without any falsehood
param paranE – having supremacy over all
(while uniting with me)
poy ilAdha – without any falsehood
param sudarE – oh one who is having infinite radiance!
nalla – having distinguished knowledge
mEl – having supremacy over all
makkaL – nithyasUris
iraiththu – making noise (like rising tides in the ocean)
Eththa – praising saying “hA’hU hA’hU”
yAnum – I too
EththinEn – praised.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
I am not capable (to sing your loving attitude towards your devotees); when will I reach the shore of the ocean which is your endless love? Out of love I became bewildered; Oh one who is having infinite radiance due to having supremacy without falsehood, over all, and not having any falsehood (while uniting with me)! Just as nithyasUris who are having distinguished knowledge and supremacy over all, are making noise and praising you saying “hA’hU hA’hU“, I too praised.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- uraikka vallEn allEn – I can only drown in enjoying your praNayithva (loving attitude), but cannot conclude speaking about it.
When asked “You may not be able to speak fully. But can you not explain a little bit?”, AzhwAr replies
- un … – Can I even enter the shore of the ocean of greatness which came about due to your endless love?
When asked “If you cannot even enter the shore, why do you set out to talk about it?”, AzhwAr replies
- kAdhal maiyal ERinEn – I became bewildered due to my love [towards you]. Would any one ask a mad person “Why are you behaving like this?”?
When asked “Why did you get mad in this matter? Don’t you have some support?”, AzhwAr replies “I saw the nithyasUris madly praising him; I too followed them”. This matter [greatness of bhagavAn] is no different when it comes to nithyasUris, or AzhwAr or bhagavAn himself. Even if emperumAn who is sarvagya (omniscient) and sarvaSaktha (omnipotent) tries to understand himself, he cannot understand that. He will meet with the same fate as vEdhams which set out to comprehend his qualities and failed [thaiththirIya upanishath “yathO vAchO nivarthanthE” (mind/speech returned unable to comprehend emperumAn‘s quality of bliss)].
- puraippu ilAdha param paranE poy ilAdha param sudarE – Oh one who does not have any falsehood in the radiance acquired due to uniting with me just as there is no falsehood in your being the supreme lord of all! Alternative explanation – Just as there is no falsehood in your perfect love, Oh one who reveals the radiance acquired by uniting with me without any falsehood!
- iraiththu … – AzhwAr says “Did I praise him considering myself capable [of praising him]? [No] As I saw the nithyasUris who have parama bhakthi praise emperumAn like an ocean with rising tides, I too praised him”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org