SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In tenth pAsuram – AzhwAr searches for good company to share the divine experience of bhagavAn‘s qualities thinking “When will I have my worldly difficulties removed and enter the assembly of nithyaSuris (in paramapadham)?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Tenth pAsuram – After saying “kaLiththEnE” (enjoyed), AzhwAr says “instead of again being with samsAris (worldly people), when will I enter the assembly of nithyasUris who are leaders for such blissful experience?”.
kaLippum kavarvum aRRu piRappup piNi mUppu iRappu aRRu
oLikkoNda sOdhiyamAy udan kUduvadhu enRu kolO
thuLikkinRa vAn innilam sudarAzhi sangEndhi
aLikkinRa mAyappirAn adiyArgaL kuzhAngaLaiyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kaLippum – joy (in worldly gains)
kavarvum – craving (in lack of such gains)
aRRu – without
piRappup piNi mUppu iRappu aRRu – without janma (birth), vyAdhi (disease), jarA (old age), maraNa (death) which are the cause for such gains and lack of them
oLik koNda – that which shines the flame (of knowledge etc)
sOdhiyamAy – having beautiful effulgent form
thuLikkinRa – raining
vAn – sky
innilam – earth (which sustains by that rain)
to eliminate from such hardships,
sudar – greatly radiant
Azhi – chakra (disc)
sangu – Sanka (conch)
Endhi – holding
aLikkinRa – mercifully protecting
mAyappirAn – the great helper’s
adiyArgaL – nithyasUris who are situated in eternal servitude
kuzhAngaLai – assemblies
udan – with agreement (to mix as water with water)
kUduvadhu – joining
enRu kolO? – When
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
When will I have my worldly joy (on worldly gains) and craving for such gains when in lack of such gains and the root cause of those (joy/sorrow) being birth, disease, old age and death being eliminated; when will I acquire an effulgent form which makes the flame of knowledge shine and become part of the assemblies of nithyasUris with full agreement (with their principles); these nithyasUris are situated in eternal servitude and are the devotees of emperumAn who is the great helper who with his greatly radiant disc and conch, protect the sky which gives rain and the earth which sustains itself by that rain.
It is highlighted that for those who have all their hurdles removed and have realized their true nature, bhagavAn‘s devotees (nithyasUris) are the goal.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kaLippum – joy derived out of enjoying matters other than that which is related to bhagavAn
- kavarvum – the sorrow derived out of craving for such matters when they are not attained
- aRRu – eliminating
- piRappup piNi mUppu iRappu aRRu – birth which is the cause for such joy/sorrow; disease which naturally follows birth at each stage of life; old age which occurs when one is thinking “at least we can survive with this disease”; finally the death; eliminating all of these
- oLikkoNda sOdhiyamAy – having infinitely radiant body/form which is fully made of pure goodness unlike the body here which is mixed in sathvam (goodness), rajas (passion) and thamas (ignorance)
- udan kUduvadhu enRu kolO – When will I join (that assembly)? Even after knowing that the assembly of bhAgavathas (devotees) is our goal, here one may hesitate to join the assembly due to ahankAram, mamakAram. But nithyasUris (who have pure forms) are not like that – they always enjoy in groups. When will I be crushed in the crowd of such nithyasUris?
- thuLikkinRa … – By nature, sky pours down rain; earth flourishes by that; the spectacular emperumAn who protects these with his divine weapons, just like he protected in the seashore (During SrI rAmAyaNa battle, the monkey army went around the camp of SrI rAma and protected him. When in the night they slept due to fatigue, SrI rAma went around all of them with his bow and arrow and protected them mercifully. So whether awake or sleeping, it is emperumAn who is protecting all).
- sudar Azhi sangu Endhi aLikkinRa mAyap pirAn – In paramapadham, his weapons look like ornaments (since there is no specific use for weapons there); but here in this material realm, they act like weapons.
- adiyArgaL kuzhAngaLaiyE – For such devotee who are won over by such protector, those who are the goal like he himself is, those leaders in (enjoying) bhagavAn‘s qualities, those who are company for bhOdhayantha:parasparam (bhagavath gIthA 10.9). In the assembly of such devotees. Like a very hungry person saying “When will I get food?”, AzhwAr is saying with great desire “When will I join those assemblies?”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org