SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram, AzhwAr says “Oh heart! Will we see the son of dhaSaratha who killed rAvaNa et al?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully says to his heart “Will we see emperor dhaSaratha’s divine son, who eliminated the clan of rAvaNa without a trace due to his partiality towards vibhIshaNa, who crowned vibhIshaNa as the king of lankA, who himself became coronated and ruled over the kingdom of ayOdhyA, and ascended to paramapadham, with that greatness?”
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kANdungolO? nenjamE! kadiya vinaiyE muyalum
AN thiRal meeLi moymbil arakkan kulaththaith thadindhu
mINdum avan thambikkE viri nIr ilangai aruLi
ANdu than sOdhi pukka amarar ari ERRinaiyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kadiya – very cruel
vinaiyE – only actions leading to harm for others
muyalum – think about and perform the great task
AN – having valorous, prideful masculinity
thiRal – bravery which hurts others
mILi – like a lion
moymbil – having huge pride
arakkan – rAvaNa who is a demoniac person by birth, his
kulaththai – clan (including brother kumbakarNa, son indhrajith et al)
thadindhu – severed without any trace
(not stopping with that)
mINdum – further
(though being rAvaNa’s brother, due to taking refuge from SrI rAma)
avan thambikkE – for vibhIshaNa
viri – expansive
nIr – having oceanic water
ilangai – lankA
aruLi – granting the kingdom
ANdu – mercifully returning to SrI ayOdhyA, ruling over the kingdom as the crowned emperor for eleven thousand years
than – his exclusive
sOdhi – paramapadham which is in the form of lustrous light
pukka – return and stay there
(due to this greatness)
amarar – for nithyasUris [eternal associates of emperumAn]
ari – like the best among lions
ERRinai – one who mercifully remains seated revealing his supremacy
nenjamE – Oh heart (which colluded with him for the separation)!
kANdungolO – will see?
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
rAvaNa a demoniac person by birth, was very cruel, and was thinking about and performing the great task of actions leading to harm for other, was having valorous, prideful masculinity, and lion like bravery which hurts others, and was having huge pride; emperumAn severed such rAvaNa’s clan without any trace; further he granted the kingdom of lankA with expansive oceanic water to rAvaNa’s brother vibhIshaNa; he mercifully returned to SrI ayOdhyA, ruled over the kingdom as the crowned emperor for eleven thousand years; he returned and remained in his exclusive abode, paramapadham which is in the form of lustrous light; oh heart! will we see him mercifully seated revealing his supremacy, like the best among the lions [as a leader] for nithyasUris? Implies – just as he killed rAvaNa, kumbakarNa et al along with their descendants and granted the lankA kingdom to vibhIshaNa, he will eliminate my anyathA gyAna (misunderstanding the attribute of a particular entity incorrectly) and viparItha gyAna (misunderstanding the entity itself incorrectly) which are caused by rajas (passion) and thamas (ignorance), and kAma (lust), krOdha (anger) which are caused by such anyathA gyAna and viparItha gyAna, and grant me full expansion of knowledge which is caused by sudhdha sathva (pure goodness). Will we see such emperumAn who is served by nithyasUris?
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kANdungolO nenjamE – Will you who accompanied me to hug and cry out loud in separation, be with me and see him together when we enjoy him without anything else to do?
- kadiya vinaiyE muyalum – He separated perumAL (SrI rAma) and pirAtti (sIthA) and made them live separately, similar to separating mother and father [which is a very cruel act]. There is nothing lower than his such lowly act. His cruel acts are such that sarvESvaran cannot remain peaceful thinking “let me punish you in the course of time”. As said in dharma SAsthram “ihaiva palam aSnuthE” (for greatly pious acts and greatly vile acts, one will reap the rewards/punishment in this birth itself). By the avadhAraNam (“E” in vinaiyE), it is clear that he does not have any noble qualities at all.
- AN thiRal … – A demoniac person who is like a valorous lion, in masculinity. meeLi – lion. Alternative explanation – eliminated the clan of rAvaNa who has valour, ability to hurt others and pride of death. Eliminated the whole clan as said in SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 64.66 “karishyE maithilee hEthOr apiSAcham arAkshasam” (For the sake of sIthA, I will eliminate the clans of ghosts and demons).
- avan thambikkE viri nIr ilangai aruLi – [Is being rAvaNa’s brother, a reason for emperumAn’s acknowledgement?] His comforting words in SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 18.34 “yadhi vA rAvaNa svayam” (Even if rAvaNa had come [bring him along, he too is given refuge]), look good. SrI rAma was patiently waiting to hear “it is not just someone related to rAvaNa is here, but rAvaNa himself is here”. Is it not sufficient if someone from lankA was accepted? Why is he expecting rAvaNa himself to arrive and surrender? If someone related to rAvaNa is accepted, only he along with few others who accompanied him will benefit; but if rAvaNa himself arrived looking for refuge, the whole town will be protected; now, though rAvaNa was too advanced in unfavourable thoughts, he is most desired by emperumAn to be protected. Now, emperumAn’s anguish in not having rAvaNa take refuge was eliminated only after accepting vibhIshaNa. As vibhIshaNa introduced himself as in SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 19.4 “anujOrAvaNasyAham” (I am the brother of rAvaNa), emperumAn too accepted him considering him to be “rAvaNa’s brother”.
- viri nIr ilangai aruLi – Bestowing him the kingdom of lankA which is surrounded by oceanic water.
- mINdum – ANdu – After the killing of rAvaNa, brahmA and other dhEvathAs said to SrI rAma “We have accomplished our task, by placing your highness as the target of arrows; now your highness can ascend to paramapadham”; at that time rudhra said “Your highness shall not do that; as your coronation was stopped, your divine mothers are all anguished; the whole kingdom is suffering; SrI bharathAzhwAn is also in grief; hence, as said in SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 122.4 ‘ASvAsya bharatham dhInam‘ (to pacify SrI bharathAzhwAn who is suffering and others), you should mercifully return to SrI ayOdhyA to eliminate the suffering of SrI bharathAzhwAn et al, become crowned and uplift the kingdom”, and as that was pleasing to his divine heart, he remained there for eleven thousand years and mercifully uplifted the kingdom.
- than sOdhi pukka – leaving the abode where he can be attacked with arrows and ascending to his distinguished, infinitely radiant abode of paramapadham.
- amarar ari ERRinaiyE – Will we see his presence amidst nithyasUris who are favourable by nature and focussed on service to him only, instead of hurling arrows at him? Just as a bull will walk around pridefully amidst a herd of cows, as the nithyasUris praise him, his prideful presence there is explained. The goal is to see emperumAn’s divine presence in the assembly of nithyasUris.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org