SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says “Those who learn this decad, will achieve the most distinct wealth of the liberated individuals, as explained in this decad”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully explains sovereign control over all as the result of this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kaN thalangaL seyya karumEni ammAnai
vaNdalambum sOlai vazhudhi vaLa nAdan
paN thalaiyil sonna thamizh Ayiraththippaththum vallAr
viNdalaiyil vIRRirundhu ALvar emmA vIdE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kaN – in the eye
thalangaL – fully
seyya – reddish
karu – (contrasting it) blackish
mEni – having divine form
ammAnai – lord of all
vaNdu – beetles
alambum – moving around in the flood of honey
sOlai – having gardens
vazhudhi vaLa nAdan – AzhwAr who owns thiruvazhudhi vaLanAdu
paN thalaiyil – keeping the tune as the foundation
sonna – mercifully sang
thamizh Ayiraththu – thousand pAsurams of thiruvAimozhi
ippaththum – this decad
vallAr – those who are well-versed
viN thalaiyil – on top of the paramAkASam (spiritual sky)
vIRRu irundhu – As said in “sa svarAtbhavathi” (he has become the emperor), being seated distinctly
e (em) – being together in all manner
mA – having unlimited joy
vIdu – the bliss of mOksham (liberation)
ALvar – will experience with full control
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nammAzhwAr who owns thiruvazhudhi vaLanAdu which has gardens, having beetles moving around in flood of honey, mercifully sang this decad in the thousand pAsurams having tune as the foundation, about emperumAn who is the lord of all, who has blackish divine body contrasting his fully reddish eyes; those who are well-versed in this decad, will be seated distinctly as said in “sa svarAtbhavathi” (he has become the emperor) on top of the paramAkASam (spiritual sky) and will experience the bliss of mOksham being together in all manner having unlimited joy with full control. emmA vIdu is also explained as the great abode (parampadham) which he has decided to bestow to me and those who are related to me.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kaN thalangaL … – Like it is said in “bhUthalangaL” (the vast lands), here “thalangaL” explains the vastness of “kaN” (eye). AzhwAr praised sarvESvaran who has vast reddish eyes and a contrasting divine blackish body, through his poetry.
- vaNdu … – Like one is tossed around in a flood, beetles are tossed around in the flood in the gardens which are present in thiruvazhudhi vaLanAdu (AzhwArthirunagari and its surroundings) which is owned by nammAzhwAr. pAsurams sung by such AzhwAr. This prabandham is sung in thalaiyAna paN (top-most tune). Alternatively, it is explained as pAsuram sung with a tune. Among the thousand pAsurams, those who are well-versed in this decad, as said in thaiththiriya upanishadh “nAgasya prushtE” (seated on Adhi SEsha in SrIvaikuNtam), will be seated in paramapadham in a distinct manner having mOksham fully under their disposal.
- viN thalai – explained as thalaiyAna viN (top-most sky), viNNin mElE (on top of the sky). They will achieve a stature where the residents of paramapadham will follow their orders. They will achieve not just AthmalAbham (self-realization), but will achieve paramapurushArthalakshaNa mOksham (ultimate goal of engaging at emperumAn’s kainkaryam forever).
- vIRRu irundhu – Staying relaxed, being freed from all the turmoils of the material realm.
- ALvar emmA vIdE – As explained in thiruvAimozhi 1.5.10 “than pAl manam vaikkath thiruththi vIdu thiruththuvAn” (reform the jIvAthmA to be fully engaged with him and freshen up paramapadham too), they will rule the paramapadham (spiritual realm) which is prepared for the pleasure of me (AzhwAr) and those who are related to me.
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr started explaining the principles of the decad briefly by saying “emperumAn would help cross-over this ocean of material world for those who desire to do so”.
- In the second pAsuram, he said “He is not needed to that; relationship with him will itself do that”.
- In the third pAsuram, he said “bhagavAn’s immortal activities are visibly seen”.
- In the fourth pAsuram, he said “Oh those who want to enjoy boundless bliss! Take shelter of him”.
- In the fifth pAsuram, he elaborated thiruvAimozhi 2.8.1 “iNaivanAm epporutkum” (he will be born among all species) phrase.
- In the sixth pAsuram, when asked “Does he have all these greatness?”, he said “arjuna already analysed and established so that we don’t have to do that again”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, he said “Is this something we need to know by someone’s words? We can see that the whole universe exists for his sport”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, he said “his omnipresence etc cannot be comprehended by any one”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, he said “those who do not agree with his omnipresence will suffer like hiraNya kaSipu”.
- In the tenth pAsuram, he said “I have seen/known such emperumAn”.
- In the end, AzhwAr explains the result for those who learnt this decad and completes the same.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org