SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Eighth pAsuram – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother says “Neither you gave her your blissful experience nor you finished her like you finished kamsa; this is the suffering she got for thinking that you are her protector”.
vanjanE! ennum kai thozhum ena
nenjam vEva nedidhuyirkkum viRal
kanjanai vanjanai seydhIr ummaith
thanjam enRu ivaL pattanavE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vanjanE – Oh deceptive one (one pretends to be humble)!
ennum – says
kai thozhum – (Considering out of love-anger “should I not worship him for such deception?”) folds her palms and worships
(thinking about previous togetherness)
thana nenjam – her heart
vEva – to burn
nedidhu uyirkkum – breathes deeply/heavily
viRal – prideful
kanjanai – kamsa
vanjanai seydhIr – Oh one who killed him and finished his deception along with him!
ummai – you (who helped the girls in mathurA)
thanjam enRu – considering as refuge (for her)
ivaL – she
pattana – much suffering
E – How!
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother looks at her daughter’s suffering – parAnkuSa nAyaki says “Oh deceptive one (one pretends to be humble)!” and folds her palms and worships; thinking about their previous togetherness, her heart burns out of her heavy / deep breathing; parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother says “Oh one who killed the prideful kamsa and finished his deception along with him!” and wonders as to why she is going through much suffering for considering you (who helped the girls in mathurA) as refuge (for her)!.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vanjanE ennum – When the mother says “he cheated you”, parAkuSa nAyaki cannot bear that; she said “even when I said ‘no’, you deceived me and being most generous, accepted me at your divine feet”. His nature is explained in thiruvAimozhi 1.7.7 “thAnotti vandhu en thani nenjai vanjiththu Unotti ninRu en uyiril kalandhu iyal” (approaching me, deceiving my heart, staying close to my body, he mixed inside me). Thus she said “Oh generous one who deceived me even without my knowledge and accepted me at your divine feet!”.
- kai thozhum – Being grateful for being cheated, she salutes him.
- thana nenjam vEva nedidhuyirkkum – Still she is unable to bear the situation even after convincing her mother who was finding faults in emperumAn. She breathes heavily such that her heart burns (due to intense emotions); SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 15.18 “thathO malinasamvIthAm rAkshasIbhis samAvruthAm | upavAsakruSAm dhInAm ni:SvasanthIm puna: puna: ||” (Thereafter, (hanuman saw) sIthA pirAtti who was wearing ragged clothes, surrounded well by rAkshasis, looking lean due to abstaining from eating, fearful and frequently breathing heavily). Previously she said in 4th pAsuram “uLLam malanga” – cutting into pieces; in 7th pAsuram she said “uLLuL Avi ularndhu ularndhu” – drying; here she says “nenjam vEva” – burning with fire; [These relate to bhagavath gIthA 2.24 “achchEdhyOyam adhAhyOyam aklEdhya: aSOshya Eva cha” (AthmA cannot be cut, cannot be burnt, cannot be soaked in water, cannot be dried) – i.e., her AthmA is suffering so much].
- viRal kanjanai vanjanai seydhIr – you destroyed the prideful kamsa. You defeated the one who wanted to defeat you. Would you act the same way with devotees and others? [i.e., you get defeated by devotees like mother yaSodhA and you defeat your enemies like kamsa – but now you seem to be desirous to defeat my daughter who is your devotee].
- ummaith thanjan enRu – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother is quoting her daughter “being fully surrendered to emperumAn” – but the mood of parAnkusa nAyaki is such that she is saying “I have unfortunately surrendered unto you”. Looking at her daughter’s state, it looks as though she is saying that she has surrendered to a cruel person though she has surrendered to emperumAn who is the protector of all.
- ivaL pattanavE – The torture you are giving to her seems as lengthy as mahAbhAratham (which is a huge epic). You have not made her to be like samsAris (since she feels even your deception is a great favour); you have not given yourself to her like you have done with nithyasUris (since her heart is still burning in separation); you have not made her to be like us who have patience and full faith as said by sIthA pirAtti in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 9.30 “… thath thasya sadhruSam bhavEth“(SrI rAma himself destroying lankA and rescuing me is that which will fit his nature – so I will wait for his arrival) [Generally, mothers are supposed to be focused on upAyam (means) – where they wait for bhagavAn to protect us at his will, friends are focused on sambhandham/svarUpam (one’s relationship with bhagavAn) and beloved-girl is focused on upEyam (goal of being with bhagavAn)]; you have not killed her like you killed kamsa. Instead of accepting my approach, she has taken up to you directly – how long are you going to make her suffer?
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org