SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In fourth pAsuram – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother says “after sustaining herself for a little while on hearing from me about SrI rAma, again unable to bear the sorrow, started blabbering and praying”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, she felt distressed speaking about his favours to everyone.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
Fourth pAsuram – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother says that “that he destroyed rAvaNa’s lankA” is not his natural quality; it only happens some times; Unable to bear that parAnkuSa nAyaki repeats the same incident.
ilangai seRRavanE ennum
pinnum valam koL puL uyarththAy! ennum
uLLam malanga vevvuyirkkum
kaNNIr migak kalangi kai thozhum ninRu ivaLE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
ivaL – she
pinnum – (with more distress than before) again
ilangai – lankA (where mAli et al lived)
seRRavanE – Oh one who destroyed!
ennum – said
valam koL – having strength
puL – periya thiruvadi (garudAzhwAr)
uyarththAy – Oh one who is having as flag and vehicle!
ennum – said
Since, he did not arrive in such garuda,
uLLam – heart
malanga – becoming vexed
vem – hot
uyirkkum – breathe
kaNNIr – tears
miga – abundance
kalangi – with bewildered knowledge
ninRu – thinking (that he is coming)
kai thozhum – performs anjali (joining the palms to pray)
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
She again said with great distress “Oh one who destroyed lankA! Oh one who is having the strong garuda as flag and vehicle!”; But since he did not arrive, her heart became vexed, started breathing out hot air, with abundance of tears and becoming bewildered, she performed anjali (joining the palms to pray) thinking that he is coming.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- ilangai seRRavanE ennum – two explanations:
- parAnkuSa nAyaki said “Oh one who helped me before!” (She is saying this to her mother to emphasise that helping others is natural quality for him). She is calling out to him as if he helped her before and not helping now.
- parAnkuSa nAyaki said “Do you have to build a bridge, lift a mountain (to bring herbs to bring back lakshmaNa’s consciousness) or mount an arrow (to fight) on the bow? What hurdle is there to come to me?”. Whatever her mother said to get her to leave emperumAn, she is using the same for holding on to him further.
- pinnum … – Further, she said “you are having the entourage (garuda) to help like some one having a water jug at a higher level to feed water for thirsty persons”. This indicates – having the able garuda in his flag or having garuda as his vehicle. Even though garuda is present (who can bring him to her), since he is not coming, as if her heart is taken away from her, she is heaving very hot air as said in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 17.29 “dhahanthImiva ni:SvAsairvrukshAth pallava dhAriNa: … ” (hanuman saw sIthA pirAtti who looked like burning down the trees that are having fresh leaves and are in neck deep water, with her hot breath …).
- kaNNIr miga – Whatever started as lengthy breathing, turned into tears.
- kalangith thozhum – lover (while in separation) would usually not be praying with pristine knowledge (they will be bewildered).
- ivaLE – she who is so great to be prayed by him is now herself praying for him.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org