srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says while removing the obstacles, he will do it very quickly.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kadivAr thIya vinaigaL
nodiyArum aLavaik kaN
kodiyA adu puL uyarththa
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thIya vinaigaL – cruel karmas
nodi Arum – the moment that is filled by a second
aLaviakkaN – measurement of
kadivAr – one who destroys
adu – destroying (enemies of his devotees)
puL – garudAzhwAr
kodiyA – as flag
uyarththa – having
vadivAr – one who is with a beautiful form
mAdhavanAr – sriya:pathi (husband of srI mahAlakshmi)
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn who has garudAzhwAr (who destroys the enemies of bhagavAn’s devotees) in his flag, who is with a beautiful form, who is the husband of srI mahAlakhsmi, will destroy the cruel karmas (puNyam/pApam accumulated since time immemorial) within a second.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
periyavAchchAn piLLai says while commenting on “kodiyA adu puL uyarththa vadivAr” that – the reason AzhwAr quoted garudAzhwAr here is to highlight that emperumAn considers the ones who surrenders now to be the same as nithyasUris.
- kadivAr thIya vinaigaL – emperumAn who has the quality of removing the cruel sins that cannot be eliminated by an individual’s self-effort even while tried perpetually.
In 8th pAsuram, AzhwAr says “vazhininRa valvinai mALviththu” – once surrendered, emperumAn will remove the sins. In 9th pAsuram, AzhwAr says “irumai vinai kadivAr” – since he is with srI mAhAlakshm, he will remove the sins. When asked “How long will it take for him to remove the sins?”, AzhwAr says “in a second”.
- nodiyArum aLAvaikkan – the time measurement that lasts a second – indicates “immediately”.
- kodiyA adu puL uyarththa vadivAr – vadivu is explained as svabhAvam (nature/characteristic) and rUpam (form). Even seeing the garuda flag from the distance, one can understand the nature of emperumAn having garudAzhwAr (who destroys the enemies) as/in his flag. vadivAr also independently means “having a beautiful form”.
- vadivArmA – mA indicates srI mahAlakshmi. Here vadivAr is an adjective for thAyAr – the one who has complete form, beautiful form, suitable form.
- mAdhavanAr – Only if pirAtti is advising him by being nearby, he will remove the sins. pirAtti says “On one side, there is birth and on the other side, there is death. In between there are diseases. How can you see his (the one who surrenders) mistakes? If you have to cite the mistakes and ignore him (to suffer in this samsAram), you have to give up on every one. Forgive him” and emperumAn says “forgiven” to satisfy her.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org