SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the third pAsuram – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother is saying helplessly “My daughter desired you thinking about the acts you did towards King SrI janaka’s divine daughter and is suffering due to that; still you are not helping her; what can I do?”
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother says “You who destroyed rAvaNa and lankA for sIthA pirAtti are not helping my daughter; what can be done?”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Third pAsuram – parAnkuSa nAyaki‘s mother says “Today, you have decided not to show your mercy to my daughter; but why did you spend sleepless nights, crossed over the sea and do such acts (like destroying lankA etc) then (as SrI rAma)?”.
இரக்க மனத்தோடு எரி அணை,
அரக்கும் மெழுகும் ஒக்கும் இவள்,
இரக்கம் எழீர் இதற்கு என் செய்கேன்,
அரக்கன் இலங்கை செற்றீருக்கே
irakka manaththOdu eri aNai
arakkum mezhugum okkum ivaL
irakkam ezhIr idharku en seygEn
arakkan ilangai seRRirukkE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
irakkam – filled with sorrow
manaththOdu – having such heart
ivaL – she
arakkum – sealing lacquer (a type of wax) – firm
mezhugum – soft wax
eri aNai okkum – just like they (firm and soft wax) will melt when contacted with fire, she lost her chastity and shyness
irakkam ileer – you are not manifesting your mercy
idhaRku – for this
arakkan – rAkshasa named rAvaNa’s
ilangai – lankA
seRRirukku – you who destroyed
en – what
seygEn – (I) will do?
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Having a heart filled with sorrow, she lost her chastity and shyness (after uniting with you) like firm or soft wax will melt when contacted with fire; but you who destroyed lankA, belonging to a rAkshasa named rAvaNa, are not manifesting your mercy; what will I do for this?
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- irakkam … – irakkam means melting of heart, attachment, friendship; having a weak heart, she melted like firm/soft wax in contact with fire. piLLai thirunaRaiyUr araiyar explains Firm wax as an adjective to her heart and soft wax as an adjective to her. bhattar explains both firm and soft wax as adjectives to her since her heart is in her control also. As said in SrI rAmAyaNam bAla kANdam 1.18 “vishNunA sadhruSO vIryE…” (He is like vishNu in valour, like moon to be a treat to the eyes – Each aspect of SrI rAma has one example), there can be many examples for her situation (this is explanation for bhattar’s view). Wax will disappear when placed in fire; it will become hard when taken away from fire and will melt when in proximity of fire. She can neither die (and be relieved) nor can sustain herself – you are torturing her like this – this is her state.
- irakkam ezhIr – Are we asking you to also melt like her? You are not even showing mercy towards those who are suffering. She is with a suffering heart; your compassion is not manifesting; if you are not showing mercy, at least give her a heart like yours (which does not have any attachment).
- idhaRku en seygEn – Can there be any means other than your mercy for this goal?
- en seygEn – Can I make you show mercy to her? Can I make her not long for you?
- arakkan ilangai seRRirukkE – If you don’t have mercy, why did you perform an act which developed her attachment towards you? She became attached to you thinking “Would one who helped his beloved, not help me too?” She misunderstood your act (as if it were your genuine help to a dear one) like someone misunderstanding the marks of a worm to be writing and thus became very agonised.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org