SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
No specific introduction.
idumbaiyAl adarppuNdu, iduminO thuRRenRu
irandhavarkku illai enRu
nedunjolAl maruththa nIsanEn andhO!
ninaikkilEn vinaip payan thannaik
kadunjolAr kadiyAr kAlanAr thamarAl
paduvadhOr kodumiRaikku anji
nadungi nAn vandhu un thiruvadi adaindhEn
naimisAraNiyaththuL – mercifully residing in SrI naimiSAraNyam
endhAy – Oh my lord!
idumbaiyAl – by poverty
adarppu uNdu – being tormented
thuRRu – handful (of food at least)
idumin – give
O enRu – Crying out “Oh” revealing their poverty
irandhavarkku – for those who begged
illaiyE enRu – not having (anything to give you)
nedum solAl – with harsh words
maRuththa – refused
nIsanEn – very lowly
nAn – I, the servitor
andhO – alas!
vinaip payan thannai – the result of the sins (which were committed previously)
ninaikkilEn – not thinking about
kadum – cruel
solAr – having words
kadiyAr – having cruel acts
kAlanAr thamarAl – by the servitors of yama
paduvadhu – experienced
Or kodu – very cruel
miRaikku – thinking about the torture
anji – fearing
nadungi – shivering
un thiruvadi – at your highness’ divine feet
vandhu adaindhEn – came and surrendered.
Oh my lord who is mercifully residing in SrI naimiSAraNyam! Alas! For those who begged due to being tormented by poverty, requesting for a handful of food crying out “Oh” revealing their poverty, I, the very lowly servitor, refused with harsh words saying “I have nothing to give”. Thinking about the very cruel torture to be experienced by me by the cruel servitors of yama for speaking and acting cruelly without thinking about the sins, I came and surrendered at your highness’ divine feet, fearing for that and shivering.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- idumbaiyA adarppuNdu – Being tormented by poverty.
- iduminO thuRRenRu irandhavarkku – When someone cries out saying “All I need is a mouthful of food. Can anyone give that?” as nammAzhwAr cried out in thiruvAimozhi 10.10.1 “muniyE!” (Oh lord!). thuRRu – a handful of food which is placed in mouth.
- thuRRenRu irandhavarkku – For those who fell at the feet in this pitiful manner.
- illaiyE … – AzhwAr is expressing the way he harshly refused to give food to the one who cried out in such a helpless manner. That person would forever be hurt and think “Due to my helpless situation I asked him for food. But the way he harshly refused is so hurtful that if I survive such harsh words I will get some poison and kill myself”.
- andhO – AzhwAr is saying “Alas!” thinking about the suffering he will go through in future.
- ninaikkilEn vinaip payan thannai – If my cruel acts of the past are so harsh to even think about, how can I think about the result of such acts?
- kadum solAr … – Thinking about the cruel punishments of the servitors of yama, who are having very harsh words.
- nadungi nAn vandhu un thiruvadi adaindhEn – I surrendered unto the divine feet of your highness.
- naimisAraNiyaththuL endhAy – For me who refused to help those who begged, have you not come to help without my even praying for that? With this, AzhwAr is explaining that “Previously I freely acted according to my will, became frightened on hearing the result of such acts and as I did not find any other refuge, I surrendered unto the divine feet of your highness”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org