SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
In this pAsuram, mAmunigaL is following AzhwAr’s pAsurams of being unable to wait until the messengers return and desiring with the thought “we should reach thirunAvAy” and is mercifully explaining it.
How is that done? Before the messenger who was sent by AzhwAr reached emperumAn, informed AzhwAr’s state and returned, due to the great urge in attaining bhagavAn, the goal, AzhwAr thought “When will I reach thirunAvAy where he is mercifully present, and see his presence with his divine consorts in the grand assembly along with the residents there, and enjoy that vision and serve him?” mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “aRukkum vinai” starting with “aRukkum idar“.
aRukkum idar enRu avanpAl Angu vitta thUdhar
maRiththu varap paRRA manaththAl aRap padhaRich
cheyya thirunAvAyil sella ninaindhAn mARan
idar aRukkum enRu – thinking “emperumAn will eliminate our sorrows”
avanpAl Angu vitta thUdhar – the messenger who was sent to him
maRiththu varap paRRA manaththAl – with the divine heart which is unable to bear the delay in the return of the messenger
aRap padhaRi – urging greatly
maiyalinAl – due to bewilderment
seyvu aRiyAmal – without knowing what to do
mARan – AzhwAr
seyya thirunAvAyil – in the distinguished thirunAvAy
sella ninaindhAn – set out to mercifully go.
AzhwAr sent messengers to emperumAn thinking “he will eliminate our sorrows”. With the divine heart which is unable to bear the delay in the return of the messengers, without knowing what to do, urging greatly due to bewilderment, AzhwAr set out to go to the distinguished thirunAvAy.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- aRukkum idar enRu – Thinking “emperumAn will mercifully eliminate our sorrows”.
- avan pAl Angu vitta thUdhar – The messenger sent towards the emperumAn residing in thirumUzhikkaLam.
- maRiththu varap paRRA manaththAl – With the divine heart unable to wait for the return of the messenger with the response from emperumAn.
- aRap padhaRi – Urging greatly. As pirAtti was becoming impatient as soon as sending thiruvadi (hanUmAn) with her message as said in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 38.66 “idham brUyAchcha mE nAtham SUram rAmam puna: puna:” (Tell this to my lord and hero again and again).
- seyya thirunAvAyil sella ninaindhAn mARan – AzhwAr thought to mercifully go to the distinguished thirunAvAy. That is, AzhwAr revealed his great urge in
- “veRith thaN malarch chOlaigaL sUzh thirunAvAy kuRukkum vagai uNdukolO? kodiyERkE” (Is there any means for me, who is having cruelty, to reach thirunAvAy which is having gardens filled with abundantly fragrant, invigorating flowers and where sarvESvaran is present?) [1st pAsuram]
- “thirunAvAy adiyEn aNugap peRu nAL evaikolO?” (Which are the days of my reaching such thirunAvAy?) [2nd pAsuram]
- “thirunAraNan sEr thirunAvAy avaiyuL pugalAvadhu Or nAL aRiyEnE” (I don’t know the day I will enter the divine assembly of the defectless nArAyaNa, who is Sriya:pathi, in thirunAvAy) [3rd pAsuram]
- “thirunAvAy vALEy thadangaN madappinnai maNALA! – nALEl aRiyEn” (Oh perfect enjoyer of nappinnaip pirAtti who is complete in all qualities, who is having expansive eyes with huge radiance like sword, residing in thirunAvAy! I don’t know the day which is ordained for me to perform eternal kainkaryam.) [4th pAsuram]
- “viNNALan virumbi uRaiyum thirunAvAy kaNNArak kaLikkinRadhingenRukol kaNdE” (When will my eyes see emperumAn who accepts the service of the residents of paramapadham which is known as parama vyOma and who is residing desirously in thirunAvAy, to become complete and to become perfectly blissful here?) [5th pAsuram]
- “thirunAvAy koNdE uRaiginRa engOvalar kOvE – kaNdE kaLikkinRadhingenRukol kaNgaL” (Oh krishNa who manifested your simplicity to cowherd boys and me, and became our lord, who is having in your divine heart and eternally residing in thirunAvAy! When will my eyes eternally enjoy by seeing you here?) [6th pAsuram]
- “nAvAy uRaiginRa en nAraNa nambI! AvA adiyAn ivan enRaruLAyE” (Oh one who is having the distinguished cause of being Sriya:pathi (lord of SrI mahAlakshmi) which is the reason for your completeness in being the lord, protector and apt goal! Alas! You should shower your mercy seeing the three types of relationship saying “he is our servitor”) [7th pAsuram]
- “then thirunAvAy en dhEvE! – aruLAdhozhivAy” (Oh my ultimate goal who is present in the well-organised thirunAvAy! You may not shower your mercy) [8th pAsuram]
- “thirunAvAy yAvar aNugap peRuvAr ini andhO?” (Alas! Who will reach thirunAvAy now?) [9th pAsuram]
- “thirunAvAy vandhE uRaiginRa em maNivaNNA – andhO! aNugap peRunAL” (Oh one who is having a divine form which resembles perfectly enjoyable blue gem, who has arrived and is eternally residing in thirunAvAy! Alas! Always asking “When will I reach you?”, I am calling out with a bewildered heart saying “Oh SrImAn!”) [10th pAsuram]
When asked “Why did he do it?”
- maiyalinAl seyvu aRiyAmal – Being bewildered by emperumAn’s beauty, becoming bewildered and hence being unable to analyse apt and inapt acts, AzhwAr urged before the messenger who was sent, returned; mAmunigaL is mercifully saying this with great bliss thinking about AzhwAr’s love towards emperumAn.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org