SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Essence of thiruvAimozhi 8.7
In this pAsuram, mAmunigaL is following AzhwAr’s pAsurams of emperumAn following his thoughts and uniting with him and is mercifully explaining it.
How is that done? emperumAn pacified AzhwAr from drowning in the ocean of sorrow, by showing his presence in thirukkadiththAnam and the joy of union. Subsequently, emperumAn showed the same eagerness towards AzhwAr which was shown by him towards emperumAn and united with him fully to fulfil all his desires which he prayed to emperumAn. emperumAn’s divine limbs acquired freshness due to the bliss derived from such union, and had a beautiful form resembling a divine bluish mountain. AzhwAr blissfully enjoyed and spoke about those aspects. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “iruththum viyandhu” starting with “irundhavan thAn vandhu“.
irundhavan thAn vandhu ingivar eNNAm ellAm
thirundha ivar thandhiRaththE seydhu porundhak
kalandhiniyanAy irukkak kaNda satakOpar
kalandha neRi katturaiththAr kaNdu
irundhavan thAn – sarvESvaran who was present in thirukkadiththAnam
ingu vandhu – arriving here
ivar eNNam ellAm thirundha – to fulfil all his desires
ivar tham thiRaththE seydhu – showing mercy to him
porundhak kalandhu – uniting seamlessly
iniyanAy niRkak kaNda – having worshipped how emperumAn remained blissful
satakOpar – AzhwAr
kalandha neRi – how he united
kaNdu – seeing in the heart
katturatiththAr – mercifully spoke
sarvESvaran who was present in thirukkadiththAnam arrived here [where AzhwAr is] and fulfilled all of AzhwAr’s desires, showed his mercy, and united seamlessly with AzhwAr. Having worshipped how emperumAn remained blissful after such union, AzhwAr saw in his heart, how emperumAn united with him and mercifully spoke [about it].
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- irundhavan thAn vandhu – emperumAn who was in thirukkadiththAnam, arrived relaxedly where AzhwAr is present.
- ivar eNNam ellAm thirundha ivar tham thiRaththE seydhu – AzhwAr’s thought is – as said in thiruvAimozhi 8.7.1 “karuththai uRa vIRRirundhAn” (manifesting his distinction, resided firmly in my heart), accepting as per the desire in the divine heart of AzhwAr who said in thiruvAimozhi 2.9.4 “thanakkEyAga enaikkoLLum IdhE” (I must exist exclusively for him).
- thirundha ivar tham thiRaththE seydhu – Since ASritha pArathanthriyam (being subservient towards his devotees) is his true nature, he did it well for AzhwAr. He presented himself so that AzhwAr can enjoy him fully.
- porundhak kalandhu – Instead of thinking “We are beyond nithyasUris and AzhwAr considers himself lower than the nithya samsAris”, emperumAn seamlessly united with AzhwAr as said in “siRiyEnudaich chindhaiyuL” (stood in my heart, in me who is very lowly) [8th pAsuram] and “thUya sudarchchOdhi thanadhennuL vaiththAn” (placed his distinguished, pure, very radiantly glowing divine form inside my heart) [4th pAsuram].
- iniyanAy irukkak kaNda satakOpar – emperumAn remained blissful as if he attained impossible benefit as said in,
- “thigazhum maNik kunRam onRE oththu ninRAn” (emperumAn is standing inside me as a shining ruby hill) [5th pAsuram]
- “karumANikkak kunRaththuth thAmarai pOl thirumArvu kAl kaN kai sevvAy undhiyAnE” (emperumAn resembles a dark carbuncle hill with a reddish/freshly blossomed lotus flower bush, with his divine chest, divine feet, divine eyes, divine hands, reddish divine lips and divine navel) [6th pAsuram]
- “sevvAy muRuvalOdu enadhuLLaththirundha avvAyanRi yAn aRiyEn” (I cannot think of any form other than the manner in which such emperumAn is present with the smile on his reddish divine lips)
- kaNda satakOpar – AzhwAr who saw and enjoyed emperumAn who remained blissful.
- kalandha neRi katturaiththAr kaNdu – AzhwAr saw with his heart, how emperumAn came and united with him, and mercifully spoke about it. The means for emperumAn’s union with AthmA is his mercy only and the AthmA’s role is to allow that only. kalandha neRi katturaikkai refers to the state as said in SrI rAmAyaNam kishkindhA kANdam 5.18 “anyOnyam abhivIkshanthau na thrupthim upajagmathu:” (SrI rAma and sugrIva were gazing at each other without getting fully satisfied) and as said in,
- “tharundhAn aruL thAn ini yAn aRiyEnE” (I don’t know (comprehend) the favour he mercifully granted towards me) [2nd pAsuram]
- SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 34.23 “kinnusyAth chiththa mOhOyam” (What is this? Is it a delusion of mind?)
- “maruL thAn IdhO?” (Is this a delusion?) [3rd pAsuram]
- “mAya mayakku mayakkAn” (he will not bewilder me by deceiving me with his amazing, deceitful acts) [4th pAsuram]
- “thigaLum than thiruvaruL seydhE” (unconditionally showered his distinguished mercy which is popularly known in this world) [4th pAsuram]
- “thigazhum than thiruvaruL seydhu” (emperumAn revealed to me his radiant, divine mercy which is praised by the people of the world) [5th pAsuram]
- “veRidhE aruL seyvar” (will do favours without any reason) [8th pAsuram]
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org