SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Fourth Centum >> Second decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says that those who are well versed in this decad, among the thousand pAsurams, mercifully spoken by him on the divine feet of krishNa, who united with him to relieve him of his unbearable anguish, will be comparable to ayarvaRum amarargaL (nithyasUris – eternal residents of paramapadham).
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully says “those who learn this decad will attain the result of uniting with nithyasUris”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
Eleventh pAsuram. In the end – AzhwAr says “Those who can recite this decad, will become comparable to nithyasUris”.
meliyum nOy thIrkkum nam kaNNan kazhalgaL mEl
mali pugazh vaN kurugUrch chatakOpan sol
oli pugazh Ayiraththu ippaththum vallavar
mali pugazh vAnavarkkAvar naRkOvaiyE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
meliyum – the cause for such weakness
nOy – separation
thIrkkum – one who will cure
nam – who is easily approachable for devotees
kaNNan – krishNa
kazhalgaL mEl – on the divine feet
mali – well developed (persevering even in separation)
pugazh – having fame
vaN – laudable
kurugUr – leader of AzhwArthirunagari
satakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sol – mercifully spoke
oli – glorious
pugazh – completeness of all attributes
Ayiraththu – among the thousand pAsurams
ippaththum – this decad as well
vallavar – those who can understand the mood and recite/practice
mali – abundance
pugazh – having bhagavath anubhavam (experience of bhagavAn)
vAnavarkku – for nithyasUris
nal – laudable
kOvai Avar – become united
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nammAzhwAr, the leader of the laudable AzhwArthirunagari, mercifully spoke thousand pAsurams which have completeness of all glorious attributes on the divine feet of krishNa who is easily approachable for his devotees and who will cure the separation which causes such weakness in AzhwAr. Those who can understand the mood and recite/practice this decad as well, will become laudable and united with nithyasUris who are having abundance of bhagavath anubhavam.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- meliyum nOy thIrkkum – Mother withdraws her support thinking that it will “weaken” her daughter [Mother’s words stop after “meliyum” – after that it is AzhwAr‘s words in his natural mood], but the [real] owner (emperumAn) will not abandon [his property]. periya thirumozhi 8.9.7 “peRRAr peRRozhindhAr” (My parents gave birth to me and abandoned me subsequently) etc.
- nam kaNNan – It is well established in sacred texts that emperumAn will come for help whenever there is danger as said in SrI bhAgavatham kANdam 10 “thAsAmArAvirabhUch chauri:” (krishNa arrived amidst the cowherd girls with a smiling beautiful lotus like face and yellow garment like a cupid for cupid himself). On the divine feet of krishNa who can cure the disease of separation which is the cause for her weakened state.
- mali pugazh … – The glory acquired by AzhwAr due to longing for emperumAn as in “I want to experience his forms which are from distant place/time”. Mercifully spoken by such glorious AzhwAr.
- oli pugazh Ayiraththu ippaththum vallavar – Those who can recite this decad which expressively explains the auspicious qualities of emperumAn who caused such longing in AzhwAr and who also drove away such longing without a trace by accepting AzhwAr.
- mali pugazh vAnarkku Avar naRkOvaiyE – [It is not that AzhwAr becomes comparable to nithyasUris, instead] They will become comparable to AzhwAr. nithyasUris long for bhagavAn while eternally/fully enjoying him [desiring for more such experience]; AzhwAr longs for bhagavAn in the abode where people have no such longing in separation of bhagavAn; so, “longing for bhagavAn” is common for both nithyasUris and AzhwAr – thus they both are comparable.
- naR kOvai Avar – He will be a good combination with vAnavar [i.e., AzhwAr will fit in perfectly among nithyasUris].
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org
Thanks. Looking forward to ‘KOvaivAy’ after Srikuratthazvan tirunakshatram. Happy Marghazhi. Adien ramanujadasi