SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In sixth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “From the time of srushti (creation) till date, I have not seen anyone who has survived being a wealthy person”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Sixth pAsuram. While asked “Like doctors would count those who survived, why are you counting [speaking about] those who died? Is there no one who lived for long?”, AzhwAr says “You should hear about those”.
vAzhndhArgaL vAzhndhadhu mA mazhai mokkuLin mAyndhu mAyndhu
AzhndhAr enRallAl anRu mudhal inRaRudhiyA
vAzhndhArgaL vAzhndhE niRpar enbadhillai niRkuRil
AzhndhAr kadal paLLi aNNal adiyavarAminO.
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vAzhndhArgaL – those who think that they are living
vAzhndhadhu – their life
mA mazhai – in heavy rain
mokkuLin – like a bubble
mAyndhu mAyndhu – crushed again and again
AzhndhAr – became very fallen
enRu allAl – other than this
anRu mudhal – from the time of creation
inRu aRudhiyA – until today
vAzhndhArgaL – those who lived
vAzhndhE niRpar – will live in the same manner
enbadhu – the principle
illai – is not present;
niRkuRil – to have an eternal life
Azhndhu – deep
Ar – abundance
kadal – ocean
paLLi – having as bed
aNNal – to the lord
adiyavar – devotee/servitor
Amin – become.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Those who think that they are living, are like a bubble in the heavy rain which gets crushed again and again and becomes fallen; other than this, the principle of any one who had lived in the same manner [forever] is not present from the time of creation until today; to have an eternal life, [you] become a devotee/servitor to the lord who is having the deep, abundant ocean as his bed. Ar also indicates vastness.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vAzhndhArgaL … – The life of those who think that they lived. They think that they lived a great life; AzhwAr thinks that their lives were disastrous. Whatever they think as glorious life, AzhwAr thinks about them as disastrous as said in thiruvAimozhi 6.9.8 “innam keduppAyO” (would you spoil me further?).
- mA mazhai mokkuLil – In a bubble in a heavy rain; jalabudhbudhavathsamam (Like a water bubble which appears and disappears very quickly). AzhwAr is saying “mA mazhai” (heavy rain) to imply that the droplet will be crushed very quickly.
- mAyndhu mAyndhu – crushed again and again.
- AzhndhAr enRallAl – For the sins committed during their life, falling to the lowest state – there is no other option.
- anRu … – There is no question of any one surviving/living in the same manner continuously from the time of srushti (creation) until today.
- niRkuRil – if you desire for the eternal goal.
- AzhndhAr … – sarvESvara who has the deep/vast ocean as his bed. Having depth which ensures that there is no trouble for his divine tender body and having vastness which allows him to spread his divine limbs and rest comfortably. emperumAn descends to thiruppARkadal (milk ocean) and rests there to provide refuge to others, not being bound by karma (virtues/vices); this being the case, to fulfil his desire, you pursue the goal which is apt for your true nature.
- adiyavar AminO – When he is being the SEshi (lord), you try to accept your servitude towards him [Become a servitor, is an order]. Alternative explanation – AzhwAr is speaking based on bhagavAn‘s opinion of accepting the AthmA who was not a servitor before, as a servitor now. [emperumAn is considering that the AthmA has become a servitor, by showing the inclination to do so].
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org