SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In fifth pAsuram – AzhwAr becomes satisfied saying “Just like you lifted up the world from praLayArNavam (causal ocean), you have also lifted me up from the samsAra sAgaram (ocean of material realm) by mercifully showing my relationship with your lotus feet; so, I have now attained your lotus feet”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “Since you have shown your divine relishable nature and have been the one who triggered my attachment towards you, have I not attained your lotus feet? (yes, I have)”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Fifth pAsuram – When asked “Is it sufficient to have knowledge? should the result be not accomplished?”, AzhwAr says “you being my first well wisher, having transformed me to be different from samsAris (worldly people), I have attained the result then and there”.
iniyAr gyAnangaLAl edukkal ezhAdha endhAy!
kanivAr vIttinbamE! en kadal padA amudhE!
thaniyEn vAzhmudhalE! pozhil Ezhum Enam onRAy
nuniyAr kOttil vaiththAy una pAdham sErndhEnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
yAr – even those who are great
gyAnangaLAl – with the knowledge
edukkal – to grasp
ezhAdha – cannot grasp
endhAy – my lord
kanivAr – those with well matured heart (due to their attachment towards you)
vIttu inbamE – one who is like the bliss in liberation
en – for me (who neither has knowledge nor has a matured heart)
kadal – in the ocean
padA – not created from
amudhE – being (divine) nectar
thaniyEn – lonely me (due to not fitting in this material realm)
vAzh – (glorious) living (matching my nature)
mudhalE – (due to him triggering the attachment, etc) the primary cause
pozhil Ezhum – (to demonstrate lifting me up from the material world) the universe which is structured as seven islands
onRu – distinct
EnamAy – being mahAvarAha (great wild-boar)
nuniyAr – sharp
kOttil – in the tusk
vaiththAy – Oh who placed it!
ini – now (after you being my controller)
un pAdham – your divine feet
sErndhEnE – reached (certainly)
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh lord who cannot be grasped even by great persons! Oh divine nectar which is not sourced from the ocean (like the worldly nectar which came out of churning milk ocean)! Oh the one who is primary cause for the glorious life of me who is lonely here in this material world! Oh distinct great varAha who lifted up the seven-island universe and placed it in your sharp tusk (to demonstrate that you will lift me up from this samsAram as well)! now (after you being my controller), I have certainly reached your divine feet.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- ini – explained further…
- Ar gyAnangaLAl edukkal ezhAdha endhAy – Oh my lord who cannot be understood by the self-effort however greatly knowledgeable one may be; that is, emperumAn could not be comprehended by dhuryOdhana and could not be lifted up by rAvaNa.
- kanivAr vIttu inbamE – For those who melt for you, you are their bliss of liberation; also explained us, for those who melt for you, you descend to their own place and give them bliss. Where did we see this? mother yaSOdhA enjoyed ultimate bliss at her own residence (given by krishNa) as explained in perumAL thirumozhi 7.8 “thollai inbaththu iRudhi kaNdALE” (she enjoyed that ancient ultimate bliss).
- en kadal padA amudhE – Oh most enjoyable lord who I got without my effort! I am not counted in either group – enemies (like rAvaNa) or devotees (like yaSOdhA) – since I only have adhvEsham (no hatred towards you when you try to help).
- thaniyEn vAzh mudhalE – the primary cause (well-wisher) for such experience of lonely me. Like sIthA pirAtti who felt lonely amidst the rAkshasis (demoniac servants of rAvaNa), AzhwAr feels lonely in this samsAram.
- pozhil Ezhum Enam onRAy – AzhwAr explaining emperumAn‘s help when he was feeling lonely. Assuming the most distinct form of a great varAha (wild-boar) and rescued the world which was consumed by the praLayam (annihilation).
- nuniyAr kOttil vaiththAy – nuni – sharpness; Ar – abundance; placing it in the abundantly sharp tusk. From this – emperumAn‘s desire for protecting everything which is lot greater than that which needs to be protected.
- ini una pAdham sErndhEnE – Just like lifting up the world from the praLayam, when you rescued me from the ocean of samsAram, I have attained the divine feet of your highness. Right when you gave knowledge to me to say in thiruviruththam 1st pAsuram “imaiyOr thalaivA – in ninRa nIrmai ini yAm uRAmai” (1st prabandham of nammAzhwAr), at that time itself I have attained your divine feet.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org