SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
No specific introduction.
kalaiyum kariyum parimAvum thiriyum kAnam kadandhu pOy
silaiyum kaNaiyum thuNaiyAgach chenRAn venRich cheRuk kaLaththu
malai koNdu alaineer aNaikatti madhiL nIr ilangai vALarakkar
thalaivan thalai paththu aRuththugandhAn sALakkirAmam adai nenjE
silaiyum – bow
kaNaiyum – arrows
thuNaiyAga – having as his help
kalaiyum – deer
kariyum – elephants
parimAvum – horses
thiriyum – roaming around
kAnam – forest
kadandhu – crossing
pOy – going very far
venRi – causing battle which will lead to victory
seruk kaLaththu – in the battle-field
senRAn – entered
alai – having waves
nIr – ocean
malai koNdu – rocks
aNai katti – building bridge
madhiL – fort
nIr – having ocean as moat
ilangai – having lankA as his capital
vAL – having sword
arakkar thalaivan – rAvaNa, the leader of rAkshasas, his
thalai paththu – ten heads
aRuththu – severed
ugandhAn – sarvESvaran became joyful; the eternal abode of such sarvESvaran
sALakkirAmam – SrI sALagrAmam
nenjE – Oh mind!
adai – try to reach
sarvESvaran was having his bow and arrows as help and crossed over the forest where deer, elephants and horses roam around, went very far and entered the battle-field where battles which lead to victory are caused, after building a bridge with rocks over the ocean having waves, and severed the ten heads of rAvaNa who was the leader of rAkshasas, having lankA which is having the ocean as a moat, as his capital, and became joyful. Oh mind! Try to reach SrI sALagrAmam which is the eternal abode of such sarvESvaran.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- kalai … – Crossing over the forest which only has deer etc.
- silaiyum kaNaiyum thuNaiyAgach chenRAn venRich cherukkaLaththu – As said in SrI rAmAyaNam bAla kANdam 1.30 “thE vanEna vanam gathvA” (they entered one forest after another), instead of going from city to forest, he travelled through forests only; similarly, after crossing over the forest where evil beasts live, he entered the battle-field. After crossing over the forest which has deer, elephants and horses, he entered the victorious battle-field.
When asked “Who is the companion while entering there?” AzhwAr says
- silaiyum kaNaiyum thuNaiyAga – He went there having the bow and arrows as help. When asked “What about lakshmaNa et al?” [commentator says] AzhwAr is implying that emperumAn considers all of those associates as his limbs and not as separate assistants. All the great devotees remained fully subservient to perumAL (SrI rAma). SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 25.33 “rAma lakshmaNa gupthAsAsugrIvENa cha vAhinI” (sugrIva along with his army was protected by SrI rAma and lakshmaNa).
- venRich cherukkaLaththu – After crossing over the forest where the animals do not have the intent to harm, keep roaming, he ended up in the battle-field. He entered the battle-field where victorious battle is caused.
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains the activities after reaching the battle-field.
- malai … – On the greatly agitated ocean, perumAL built a bridge with rocks which will usually submerge in the water; rAvaNa had his residence in lankA which is surrounded by a fort and by a moat in the form of the ocean; he considered a sword which he got by praying to a dhEvathA (rudhra) as his protection; perumAL severed the ten heads of such rAvaNa who was the controller of all evil people and became joyful thinking “dhEvathAs regained their abodes and rishis (sages) got to perform their penances by remaining in their hermitages”. AzhwAr is saying “Oh mind! Try to reach SrI sALagrAmam where such emperumAn who eliminated the enemies, is residing to help those who are of subsequent times”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org