srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the third pAsuram – AzhwAr says “Unlike the divine consorts of emperumAn who enjoy different dealings with him, emperumAn gave me all kinds of blissful union and became so attached to me that he can never be separated from me”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Third pAsuram – AzhwAr says “emperumAn who engages differently with thiruvadi (garudAzhwAr), thiruvananthAzhwAn (Adhi sEshan), his divine consorts et al, does not leave me after engaging me in just one aspect”.
அருகல் இலாய பெரும் சீர் அமரர்கள் ஆதி முதல்வன்
கருகிய நீல நன் மேனி வண்ணன் செந்தாமரைக் கண்ணன்
பொரு சிறைப் புள் உவந்து ஏறும் பூமகளார் தனிக் கேள்வன்
ஒருகதியின் சுவை தந்திட்டு ஒழிவு இலன் என்னோடு உடனே
arugal ilAya perum sIr amaragaL Adhi mudhalvan
karugiya neela nal mEni vaNNan sendhAmaraik kaNNan
poru siRaip puL uvandhu ERum pUmagaLAr thanik kELvan
oru gathiyin suvai thandhittu ozhivu ilan ennOdu udanE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
arugal il – not having defects such as apaksha (decline), etc
Aya – Eternal, Due to permanent existence
perum – unlimited
sIr – one who is having auspicious qualities
amarargaL – for the nithyasUris
Adhi – one who is the cause for their existence etc.,
mudhalvan – leader
karugiya – very blackish
neelam – like a blue gem
nal – good
mEni vaNNan – one who is having bodily complexion
sem – reddish (being contrary to such bodily complexion)
thAmarai – lotus like
kaNNan – having divine eyes
poru – abundant
siRai – having feathers
puL – periya thiruvadi (garudhAzhwAr)
uvandhu – with great desire
ERum – one who climbs on
pU magaLAr – most enjoyable srI mahAlakshmi who is like the embodiment of flower’s fragrance
thanik kELvan – singular enjoyer
ennOdu udanE – being together with me
oru gathiyin – in one aspect
suvai – taste
thandhittu – giving
ozhivu ilan – does not leave
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn who has no defects such as decline etc., who is eternal, who has unlimited auspicious qualities, who is the leader of nithyasUris and the cause for their existence etc., who has nice blackish bluish bodily complexion, one who has a reddish lotus like divine eyes (that looks contrasting to the blackish form), one who climbs with great desire on garudAzhwAr who has abundant feathers, who is the singular enjoyer of the most enjoyable srI mahAlakshmi who is like the embodiment of flower’s fragrance, after being with me giving one particular aspect of enjoyment, does not leave me.
It is implied that emperumAn gave aRusuvai (6 types of flavours/tastes) to AzhwAr viz hEya prathyanIkathvam (being the opposite of all evils), samastha kalyANa guNAthmakamAna svarUpa vailakshaNyam (having most distinct nature with all auspicious qualities), nithyasUri nirvAhakathvarUpamAna mEnmai (supremacy due to controlling the nithyasUris). vilakshaNa vigraha yOgam (having beautiful and distinct form), puNdarIkAkshathvam (having lotus eyes), sriya:pathithvam (being the master of srI mahAlakshmi).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- arugal il Aya perum sIr amaragaL Adhi mudhalvan – arugal – reduction, defect, blemish; il – absence; Aya – good. Being free from any blemish, having unlimited auspicious qualities, and presenting such qualities for the enjoyment of nithyasUris, and being the cause for their existence etc.
- karugiya neela nal mEni vaNNan – Having most blackish beautiful bodily complexion which is beyond expression in words. Having beautiful complexion in most distinct, divine form. nithyasUris sustain themselves by constantly enjoying this divine form.
- sendhAmaraik kaNNan – eyes which reveal the internal qualities such as kindness, compassion etc.
- poru siRaip puL uvandhu ERum – When bhagavAn invites garudAzhwAr (to go for a ride), garudAzhwAr feels delighted seeing bhagavAn‘s acknowledgement of his service and his feathers start rising due to that joy. bhagavAn too feels great joy to accept his service.
- pU magaLAr thanik kELvan – Like the embodiment of flower’s fragrance. When explained as the singular enjoyer of most enjoyable srI mahAlakshmi, it establishes that there is no comparable person for bhagavAn.
- oru gathiyin suvai thandhittu ozhivilan ennOdu udanE – Unlike engaging with them (nithyasUris) he engages with me in just one aspect and does not leave me; he engages with me in all different ways by which he engages with all of them.
- udanE – He does not treat me differently thinking that he is supreme etc. He even addresses the concerns of nithyasUris from my close proximity. In previous decad, AzhwAr said emperumAn showed his attachment towards me just as he shows his attachment towards paramapadham; now, he says emperumAn engages with him in all the different ways by which he engages with all the residents of srI vaikuNtam.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org