SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> Fourth Centum >> First decad
nammAzhwAr – thirunArAyaNapuram
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says “Those who learned this decad will discard lowly goals such as worldly wealth and will exclusively enjoy service to bhagavAn“.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains upliftment of AthmA after elimination of all sorrows as the result of this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
ahdhE uyyap pugumARenRu kaNNan kazhalgaL mEl
koy pUm pozhil sUzh kurugUrch chatakOpan kuRREval
sey kOlaththAyiram sIrth thodaip pAdal ivai paththum
ahkAmal kaRpavar Azh thuyar pOy uyyaRpAlarE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
uyya – to be uplifted
pugum – approach
ARu – upAyam (means)
ahdhE – only that (saying firmly so)
kaNNan – krishNa’s
kazhalgaL mEl – on the divine feet
koy – pluckable
pU – having abundance of flowers
pozhil – having garden
kurugUr – the leader of AzhwArthirunagari
SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
kuRREvalgaL – in the form of confidential services
sey – performed
kOlam – decorated to perfection
Ayiram – thousand
sIrth thodai – having sIr and thodai (grammatical aspects in composing verse)
pAdal – thiruvAimozhi in the form of a song
ivai paththum – this decad
ahkAmal – without losing
kaRpavar – those who learn
Azh – being immersed (in worldly wealth and self-enjoyment)
thuyar – grief
pOy – having eradicated
uyyaRpAlar – will be engaged in upliftment of self (leading to devotion towards bhagavAn)
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nammAzhwAr, the leader of AzhwArthirunagari ,which has gardens having abundance of pluckable flowers, sang thousand pAsurams having sIr and thodai in the form of confidential services performed to krishNa’s divine feet, firmly saying those are the only means to be approached for AthmA‘s upliftment. Those who learn this decad among those thousand pAsurams without losing [any part of them], will have their grief of being immersed in worldly wealth and self-enjoyment, eradicated and will be engaged in upliftment of self (leading to devotion towards bhagavAn).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- ahdhE uyyap pugumARenRu – Saying that the divine feet of SrIman nArAyaNan as I said [in first pAsuram] “thirunAraNan thAL“, is the means for upliftment [of AthmAs] and the goal.
- kaNNan kazhalgaL mEl – He himself said in thiruvAimozhi 3.10.10 “kaNNanaith thAL paRRi” (being surrendered to the divine feet of krishNa) and instructed others in thiruvAimozhi 4.1.3 “kaNNan kazhalgaL ninaiminO” (meditate upon the divine feet of krishNa); he is repeating the same instruction here. Considering that there is no one else who has completely taken shelter of his divine feet, he himself surrendered to them. [Where did we see that?] First AzhwAr instructed to his divine heart in thiruvAimozhi 1.1.1 “thuyar aRu sudar adi thozhudhezhu” (Worship the radiant feet which remove the agony, and rise); he then instructed to others in thiruvAimozhi 1.2.10 “vaN pugazh nAraNan thiN kazhal sEr” (Reach out to the divine firm feet of SrIman nArAyaNan who is having auspicious qualities). Here, he said in thiruvAimozhi 3.10.10 “kaNNanaith thAL paRRi yAn enRum kEdilanE” [after having surrendered to the divine feet of krishNa, I am never in any ruins] and also instructed others in thiruvAimozhi 4.1.3 “kaNNan kazhalgaL ninaiminO” (mediate upon the divine feet of krishNa); What great devotion! In the end too AzhwAr instructs others saying in thiruvAimozhi 9.1.10 “kaNNan allAl illai kaNdIr SaraN” (There is no one other than krishNa who can provide shelter) [Instructions relating to virOdhi (hurdles) completed in thiruvAimozhi 9.1 decad].
- koy pU … – nammAzhwAr who is the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which is surrounded by ever-fragrant divine gardens. Such AzhwAr performs confidential services in the form of singing this decad, at the divine feet of sarvESvaran. sey [in past tense] – poem that is compiled; it also indicates service by speech when read as “satakOpan kuRREval sey” (nammAzhwAr‘s confidential service by speech).
- kOlaththAyiram – The thousand pAsurams which have no deficiency in the decorations for the poem.
- sIr … – Those who learn, without losing anything, this decad which is strung with bhagavAn‘s qualities, will be rid of disastrous goals such as aiSwaryam (worldly pleasures) and kaivalyam (self-enjoyment) which are devoid of service to bhagavAn and will be uplifted. ahkal – shrinking (losing some aspects).
- uyyaRpAlar – They will have upliftment as a natural aspect. That is, they will have what AzhwAr explained in “kAlam peRach chindhiththuymminO” (quickly meditate upon his divine feet and be uplifted).
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
SrIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org