SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains the result saying “Sing this decad together in association with mutual affection”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kuzhAm koL pEr arakkan kulam vIya munindhavanaik
kuzhAm koL then kurugUrch chatakOpan therindhuraiththa
kuzhAm koL AyiraththuL ivai paththum udan pAdi
kuzhAngaLAy adiyIrudan kUdi ninRu AduminE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kuzhAm koL – having groups and groups (of rAkshasas who are hindering (others))
pEr – rAvaNa who has greatness (of having such army of rAkshasas)
arakkkan – rAkshasa’s
kulam – whole clan
vIya – to be destroyed
munindhavanai – one who mercifully showed his anger
kuzhAm koL – having groups and groups (of SrIvaishNavas)
thenkurugUr – the controller of thirunagari
SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
therindhu – analysed
uraiththa – mercifully spoke
kuzhAm koL – in the form of decads (collection of 10 pAsurams)
AyiraththuL – in the thousand pAsurams of thiruvAimozhi
ivai paththum – these ten pAsurams
udan – agreeing (to the meanings)
pAdi – sing (to reveal the joy)
kuzhAngaLAy – in many groups (sharing the joy with each other)
adiyIrudan – being like minded devotees matching your true nature
kUdi – associate
ninRu – staying together (without break)
Adumin – try to dance
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
SrI rAma destroyed the clan of rAvaNa who has the greatness of having groups and groups of rAkshasas (who are hindering others); nammAzhwAr who is the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which is filled with groups of SrIvaishNavas has analysed and mercifully spoke/sung this decad which is in one among the thousand pAsurams which have many such decads; You all sing this decad (to reveal your joy) agreeing with the meanings (of the pAsurams) in many groups of devotees together and try to dance in joy.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kuzhAm koL …. – rAvaNa had groups and groups of sons, grand sons, relatives et al to support him; he was also well established due to his own strength and the strength acquired through boons; Such rAvaNa was destroyed along with his clan by chakravarathi thirumagan (son of emperor dhaSaratha). This is explained by SrI rAma himself in SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 64.66 “karishyE maithilIhEthOr apiSAcham arAkshasam” (Having SithA as reason, I will free this earth from devils and demons).
- kuzhAm koL thenkurugUrch chatakOpan – Just like the rishis entered dhaNdakAraNyam after the rAkshasas (kara, dhUshaNa et al) were destroyed in janasthAnam, many SrIvaishNavas arrived at AzhwArthirungari to see nammAzhwAr who survived the agony of separation in “vAyum thiraiyugaLum” padhigam (decad). AzhwAr himself declares in thiruviruththam 100 “nallAr navil kurugUr” (AzhwArthirungari where many good persons reside). If it is place where there are many good persons (devotees) who are engaged in glorifying (emperumAn), would they not assemble there together?
- therindhuraiththa – meditated and spoke as it is
- ivai paththum – these ten pAsurams, with which the assembled devotees sustain themselves
- kuzhAm koL Ayiram – As said in thiruvAimozhi 9.4.9 “thoNdarkku amudhuNNa” (to be consumed as nectar for the devotees), ten pAsurams make one decad, ten decads make one centum and ten such centums make this thiruvAimozhi which has thousand pAsurams. This thiruvAimozhi is the livelihood for the devotees.
- ivai paththum udanpAdi – singing along, agreeing with the principles
- kuzhAngaLAy – Instead of saying “kaLitthEnE” (I enjoyed – singular) like me and subsequently searching for the assembly of devotees, be in the assembly first and sing along together.
- adiyIrudan kUdi ninRu AduminE – You who are all fully pledged to him, who are quite few in numbers (in comparison to those who are not devotees) are going to be here in this world for a short span of time; in such time, instead of holding on to worldly wealth and desire and fighting with each other, enjoy this experience together here until you reach the great assembly in paramapadham.
nampiLLai, gives a brief summary of the whole decad at the end.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr praised his divine heart.
- In the second pAsuram, he praised sarvESvaran who convinced his divine heart (to surrender).
- In the third pAsuram, he highlighted a favour that was done by emperumAn.
- In the fourth pAsuram, he submitted his own self as a return to such favour and subsequently repented for that.
- In the fifth pAsuram, he said that since emperumAn is the primary good-deed for him, he already attained emperumAn‘s lotus feet.
- In the sixth pAsuram, he said “Did I achieve this today? When you first blessed me – at that time itself I have attained your lotus feet”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, he meditated upon his sweet nature and said “I cannot sustain separation from you”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, he said “I attained such unsurpassed sweet person through easy means”; it can also be said as, “I followed him and easily attained him instead of having to perform austere penance for a long time to get that great result”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, he said “I enjoyed so that all my difficulties are eliminated and became blissful”.
- In the tenth pAsuram, he asked “when will I be in the assembly of such persons who enjoy emperumAn so much?”.
- In the end, he said “Meditate upon and recite this thiruvAimozhi with its meaning; you are few in numbers and are going to live for a short span of time only, so try to experience it (instead of fighting among yourselves)”.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org