srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
veRpai onRu eduththu oRkam inRiyE
niRkum ammAn sIr kaRpan vaigalE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
onRu – one
veRpai – the hill
eduththu – lifted up
oRkam – becoming tired
inRiyE – not having
niRkum – standing
ammAn – master’s
sIr – glories (Apathsakathva – timely help)
vaigal – for eternity
kaRpan – will remember/recite
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
I will remember/recite for eternity the glories of the lord/master who is standing without feeling tired after lifting up the gOvardhana hill (to protect his devotees from the hailstorm instigated by indhra).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- veRpai onRu eduththu – When indhra effected a hailstorm to attack the cows and cow-herd boys, kaNNan emperumAn, in order to shield them from that, picked up a hill (gOvardhanam) nearby and protected them.
Since he was only seven years old, did he not get tired holding the hill up?
- oRkam inRiyE niRkum – stood there holding the hill up, without getting tired.
Why did he not get tired even after standing up for seven days holding up the hill?
- ammAn – natural lord and master – due to the natural/eternal relationship, he stood there without getting tired, just like a mother who would never get tired taking care of her child.
- sIr kaRpan – I will meditate upon his caring act of lifting up the hill and protecting those who are to be protected by him. As said in srI rAmAyaNam kishkinthA kANdam 4.12 “guNairdhAsyamupAgatha:” (I am serving him, being overwhelmed by his qualities says lakshmaNa about srI rAma), AzhwAr becomes a servitor to emperumAn on seeing his nIrmai (simplicity).
- vaigalE – daily/always. I will not say this now and then leave to do something else after a while. Like nithyasUris, this (enjoying his auspicious qualities) will be my eternal activity as said in rig vEdham (vishNu sUktham) “…vipanyava:…” (ones who are glorifying bhagavAn naturally).
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org