SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
In this pAsuram, mAmunigaL is following AzhwAr’s pAsurams of enjoying the welcome given in archirAdhi mArgam (the luminous path towards paramapadham) as shown by emperumAn and is mercifully explaining it.
How is that done? sarvESvaran thought about carrying AzhwAr to the apt land of paramapadham and enjoying together with him there, and showed to AzhwAr for his enjoyment by granting paragyAnam (the state of perfect visualisation), the archirAdhi mArgam, the honours given by those who are in that path, reaching paramapadham, the honours given by the residents of paramapadham who come forward and give welcome, and emperumAn’s own svarUpa (true nature), rUpa (forms), guNa (qualities) and vibhUthi (wealth); AzhwAr too fully enjoyed the same and spoke about it through the journey of other SrIvaishNavas [in this archirAdhi mArgam]. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “sUzh visumbaNi mugil” starting with “sUzhndhu ninRa mAl“.
sUzhndhu ninRa mAl visumbil thollai vazhi kAtta
Azhndhu adhanai muRRum anubaviththu vAzhndhangu
adiyarudanE irundh ARRai urai seydhAn
mudi magizh sEr gyAna muni
mudi magizh sEr gyAna muni – AzhwAr, the gyAna muni (wise sage), who has vakuLa garland on his divine head
sUzhndhu ninRa mAl – emperumAn who surrounded and stood
visumbil – in paramapadham
thollai vazhi kAtta – as he showed the ancient path of archirAdhi mArga
Azhndhu adhanai muRRum anubaviththu – being immersed in the ocean of joy there and enjoying it fully
angu vAzhndhu – living there
adiyarudanE irundha ARRai – the way he remained blissfully, without any burden, along with devotees such as garuda, vishvaksEna et al,
urai seydhAn – mercifully spoke
As emperumAn surrounded AzhwAr and stood, and showed the ancient path of archirAdhi mArgam leading to paramapadham, AzhwAr, the gyAna muni (wise sage), who has vakuLa garland on his divine head, mercifully spoke about being immersed in the ocean of joy there, enjoying it fully, living there and the way he remained blissfully, without any burden, along with devotees such as garuda, vishvaksEna et al.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- sUzhndhu ninRa mAl visumbil – sarvESvaran who previously surrounded AzhwAr and remained speechless without any answer to AzhwAr’s questions, as said in SrI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam “EshAsAdhruSyathE …“, showed the ancient archirAdhi mArgam (luminous path leading to parampadham) in paramAkASam (paramapadham) as said in SrI bhagavath gIthA 8.26 “jagatha: SASvathE mathE” (These two paths namely archirAdhi gathi and dhUmAdhi gathi are permanently ordained (in Sruthi/vEdham) for gyAnis and pious persons respectively). mAmunigaL says “thollai vazhikAtta” following the experience of AzhwAr a) hearing the tumultuous sounds of clouds, oceans, drums and many other instruments which sounded similar to “amanthragya uthsava gOsham” (when purOhitha (priest) forgets the manthra, he will order the drum beating to distract others) b) the welcoming and honouring by AdhivAhikas (dhEvathAs who guide the AthmA in the archirAdhi path) as said in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam “alankAravichim kruthsnam – kArayAmAsa vESmana:“, c) the way the nithyasUris come forward and welcome/honour him, d) the way the chief gate-keepers respect him, e) the way the divine damsels honour/decorate him, f) how sarvESvaran and periya pirAtti accept him lovingly and g) how he remained in the group of eternal associates of emperumAn and enjoyed blissfully without any burden.
- Azhndhu adhanai muRRum anbaviththu – Being very immersed in it. Fully enjoyed all that emperumAn showed to him. Fully enjoyed as said in,
- “sUzh visumbaNi mugil thUriyam muzhakkina Azh kadal alai thirai kaiyeduththAdina” (the clouds which are gathered in the sky which surrounds all areas, made tumultuous sound of a musical instrument; the bottomless oceans danced having the rising tides as hands) [1st pAsuram]
- “nAraNan thamaraik kaNdugandhu nalnIrmugil pUraNa poRkudam pUriththadhu uyar viNNil” (Being pleased on seeing the devotees of nArAyaNa who is natural lord, clouds which are filled with pure water, filled the sky as perfect golden pots in the high sky; oceans having water, stood firm and made tumultuous sound) [2nd pAsuram]
- “thozhudhanar ulagargaL dhUba nal malar mazhai pozhivanar bUmi anRaLandhavan thamar munnE ezhumin enRu iru marungisaiththanar munivargaL vazhiyidhu vaigundhaRku enRu vandhedhirE” (The munivars who restrain their speech and are residents of those higher worlds, in the presence of the devotees of the one who measured the earth to remain exclusively for him when mahAbali claimed it as “mine”, offered incense etc, showered rain of good flowers and performed anjali (joined palms in reverence) matching their servitude; coming towards those who are ascending to SrIvaikuNtam, saying “this is the path to SrIvaikuNtam”, they eagerly said “could you mercifully come?” standing on both sides of the path) [3rd pAsuram]
- “edhir edhir imaiyavar iruppidam vaguththanar kadhiravar avar avar kainnirai kAttinar adhir kural murasangaL alai kadal muzhakkoththa madhu viri thuzhAy mudi mAdhavan thamarkkE” (dhEvathAs who don’t blink their eyes made palaces which are resting places for the servitors of Sriya:pathi, who is having thuLasi, which is dripping honey, on the divine crown; the twelve Adhithyas in their respective ability, gave their rays which are their hands as the decorative rows; the tumultuous sound of the drums which they beat, matched the loud noise of the ocean with tides) [4th pAsuram]
- “mAdhavan thamar enRu vAsalil vAnavar pOdhumin emadhidam pugudhuga enRalum gIdhangaL pAdinar kinnarar kerudargaL vEdha nal vAyavar vELviyuL maduththE” (AdhivAhika dhEvathAs such as varuNa, indhra, prajApathi et al, standing at the entrance of their respective abode, showed reverence to servitors of Sriya:pathi and said “kindly come in this way, please enter the places which are under our regime”; as they say these words and honour them with gifts, those who are having distinguished mouth/speech due to their recital of vEdham, offered their karmas such as yAgam etc at the lotus feet of such SrIvaishNavas with reverence thinking “our recitals have become purposeful”; kinnaras and garudas sang songs) [5th pAsuram]
- “vELviyuL maduththalum virai kamazh naRum pugai kALangaL valamburi kalandhengum isaiththanar ANmingaL vAnagam AzhiyAn thamar enRu vAL oN kaN madandhaiyar vAzhththinar magizhndhE” (the vaidhikas offered all dharma, fragrant incense emitting nice fragrance spread everywhere and wind instruments and conches with curl towards the right side were blown; celestial women having beautiful, radiant eyes blessed them, being joyful, saying “You, who are servitors of sarvESvaran who has thiruvAzhi, should rule over these abodes such as svarga etc”) [6th pAsuram]
- “madandhaiyar vAzhththalum marudharum vasukkaLum thodarndhu engum thOththiram sollinar thodu kadal kidandha engEsavan kiLaroLi maNi mudi kudandhai engOvalan kudi adiyArkkE” (emperumAn, mercifully resting in the deep ocean, being kESava who is the creator of everyone such as people like me, dhEvas starting with brahmA, and nithyasUris, having rising and radiant divine crown which has abundance of precious gems, is mercifully resting in thirukkudandhai as krishNa; the consorts of maruths and ashta vasus praised the servitors who are serving such emperumAn for generations; as they praised, the maruths and vasus followed the SrIvaishNavas everywhere and uttered praises) [7th pAsuram]
- “kudiyadiyAr ivar gOvindhan thanakkenRu mudiyudai vAnavar muRai muRai edhirkoLLak kodiyaNi nedu madhiL gOpuram kuRuginar vadivudai mAdhavan vaigundham pugavE” (nithyasUris having similar form, with crown etc, to ISvara, came forward and welcomed the devotees considering them to belong to the clan which exists exclusively for krishNa who incarnated for the sake of his devotees. They arrived at the main entrance of SrIvaikuNtam which is being decorated with flags and having tall fort, and which belongs to sarvESvaran who is having a decorated form, to let the SrIvaishNavas enter in there) [8th pAsuram]
- “vaigundham pugudhalum vAsalil vAnavar vaigundhan thamar emar emadhidam pugudhenRu vaigundhaththu amararum munivarum viyandhanar vaigundham puguvadhu maNNavar vidhiyE” (As the SrIvaishNavas entered SrIvaikuNtam, the divine gate keepers thought “these SrIvaishNavas, who have attained SrIvaikuNtanAtha, are desirable for us”; considering “they should enter our dominion”, they became pleased; the amarars (those who engage in kainkaryam) and munivars (those who engage in meditating on bhagavAn’s qualities) became pleased thinking “What a fortune for these SrIvaishNavas who were immersed in worldly pleasures on earth, to enter paramapadham!”) [9th pAsuram]
- “vidhi vagai pugundhanar enRu nal vEdhiyar padhiyinil pAnginil pAdhangaL kazhuvinar nidhiyum naRchuNNamum niRai kuda viLakkamum madhi muga madandhaiyar Endhinar vandhE” (The SrIvaishNavas arrived and entered paramapadham by the order of ISvara, in the form of our fortune; being pleased, the nithyasUris who are well versed in vEdham and having distinguished nature cleansed the divine feet of such SrIvaishNavas, in an honourable manner, in their respective abode; divine damsels who have the humility revealing their subservience and face shining like a full moon, came forward to welcome the SrIvaishNavas, carrying bhagavAn’s pAdhukA which are said as the wealth for devotees as said in sthOthra rathnam “dhanam madhIyam“, distinguished thiruchchUrNam, pUrNa kumbams and mangaLa dhIpams) [10th pAsuram]
- “vandhavar edhir koLLa mAmaNi maNdabaththu andhamil pErinbaththu adiyarOdirundhamai kondhalar pozhil kurugUrch chatakOpan sol sandhangaL Ayiraththu ivai vallAr munivarE” (nammAzhwAr, the controller of AzhwArthirunagari, mercifully spoke this decad which explains the way emperumAn himself comes forward and receives the SrIvaishNavas in the thirumAmaNi maNdapam . The SrIvaishNavas are present with the sUris who are having endless and continuous bliss, in this decad among the thousand pAsurams having different metres. Those who can practice this decad well, will become those who meditate upon bhagavAn’s auspicious qualities. vandhavar edhirkoLLa could also imply the primary servitors such as vishvaksEnar et al) [11th pAsuram]
- anubaviththu vAzhndhu – Being satisfied, having enjoyed all of these.
- angu adiyarudanE irundha ARRai urai seydhAn – AzhwAr mercifully spoke about being burden-free and blissful in the joyful thirumAmaNi maNdapam (the central assembly) along with the devotees headed by anantha (AdhiSEsha), garuda and vishvaksEna.
- mudi magizh sEr gyAna muni – Since AzhwAr is uniting with the crowned devotees and concluding the prabandham himself as a crowned person, AzhwAr too is concluding here, being decorated with magizha (vakuLa) garland. emperumAn is “madhuviri thuzhAy mudi mAdhavan” (Divine consort of SrI mahAlakshmi who is crowned with honey-dripping thiruththuzhAy (thuLasi); AzhwAr is mudi magizh sEr gyAna muni (The wise sage who is crowned with magizha garland); parAnkuSa muni who has paragyAnam.
- adiyarudanE irundha ARRai urai seydhAn – AzhwAr mercifully started with “sUzh visumbaNi mugil” (the clouds on the sky) [1st pAsuram] and ended with “adiyarOdu irundhamai” (remained with devotees) [10th pAsuram], for everyone to become faithful and be liberated.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org