SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
How is that done? AzhwAr along with the devotees, desired to perform the continuous kainkaryams which are done in paramapadham to emperumAn, who is the prince of paramapadham, in greatly enjoyable thiruvananthapuram where SrI padhamanAbhap perumAL, the ultimate goal, is mercifully resting on AdhiSEsha, to be served under the leadership of SrI sEnApathi AzhwAn (vishvaksEnar) who is the leader of nithyasUris. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “kedumidar” starting with “kedumidar vaigundhaththai“.
kedumidar vaigundhaththaik kittinAppOlE
thadamudai anandhapuram thannil padavaravil
kaNduyil mARkAtcheyyak kAdhaliththAn mARan uyar
viNdanil uLLOr viyappavE
mARan – AzhwAr
uyar viN thannil uLLOr viyappa – to the wonder of nithyasUris who are in the great parampadham
kedum idar vaigundhaththai – SrIvaikuNtam, which is free of any sorrow
kittinARpOla – as if reached and engaged in service
thadam udai anandhapuram thannil – in the vast thiruvananthapuram
pada aravil – in the matress of AdhiSEsha, who has hoods
kaN thuyil mARku – for emperumAn who is mercifully resting
AL seyya – to serve
kAdhaliththAn – desired
To the wonder of nithyasUris who are in the great parampadham, AzhwAr desired to serve emperumAn who is mercifully resting on the matress of AdhiSEsha, who has hoods, in the vast thiruvananthapuram, as if he had reached and engaged in service in SrIvaikuNtam, which is free of any sorrow.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- kedum idar vaigundhaththai – SrIvaikuNtam which can drive away the sorrow by granting kainkaryam; alternative explanation – SrIvaikuNtam which is free of sorrow.
- kittinAppOl – As if reached and engaged in service.
- thadamudai anandhapuram thannil padavaravil kaNduyil mARkAtcheyyak kAdhaliththAn – Just as bharathAzhwAn desired in SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 101.12 “EpiScha sachivaissArdham” (with these ministers who are here … I (bharatha) pray unto you (SrI rAma)), AzhwAr desired to serve sarvESvaran who is mercifully resting on the hooded AdhiSEsha in thiruvananthapuram. That is, AzhwAr desired to serve along with SrIvaishNavas who are considered at par with his own divine heart, as said in
- “pUsanai seyginRArgaL puNNiyam seydhavARE” (those who offer such emperumAn in proper means matching his being the lord with tools such as flowers considering the way they got that fortune) [4th pAsuram]
- “sAndhodu viLakkam dhUbam thAmarai malargaL nalla Ayndhu koNdEththa vallAr andhamil pugazhinArE” (those who can praise emperumAn, fulfilled with the feeling of having been acknowledged by him, preparing good sandalwood paste, lamp, fragrant smoke and vowing that all of these are for the lord, in the city of thiruvananthapuram which is having golden fort forever, have endless greatness in servitude) [10th pAsuram]
- “amararAyth thiriginRArgatku Adhi sEr ananthapuraththu amarar kOn archchikkinRu angagap paNi seyvar viNNOr namargaLO! sollak kENmin nAmum naNuga vENdum …” (emperumAn as krishNa eliminated the sorrow of rudhra, the father of subrahmaNya, and is the creator of those who roam around as dhEvathAs; such emperumAn is mercifully resting in thiruvananthapuram; sEnai mudhaliyAr has arrived at this abode to worship such emperumAn along with those residents of paramapadham who perform confidential services, assisting him in such worship. Oh our people! Listen to what I say; let us also go and reach there.) [6th pAsuram]
- “padamudai aravil paLLi payinRavan pAdhangANa nadaminO namargaL uLLIr” (Oh our people! Start walking towards such thiruvananthapuram to see and enjoy the divine feet of the one who is much involved in mercifully resting on the mattress of divine serpent, with hoods) [8th pAsuram]
- padavaravil kaNduyil mARkAtcheyyak kAdhaliththAn mARan uyar
viNdanil uLLOr viyappavE – To the amazement of the worshippable thiruvadi (garudAzhwAr), thiruvananthAzhwAn (AdhiSEsha), SrI sEnApathi AzhwAn (vishvaksEnar) et al who are the greatest among all and who thought that “AzhwAr is desiring to perform whatever service we are doing in this divine paramapadham where there is no confusion, in the samsAra which is filled with darkness! How amazing!”, AzhwAr desired to serve sarvESvaran who is SEshaSAyi (one who is resting on AdhiSEshan) and Sriya:pathi (Lord of SrI mahAlakshmi). mAmunigaL becomes amazed thinking “What a personality is AzhwAr!”
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org