SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
In this pAsuram, mAmunigaL is following AzhwAr’s pAsurams of emperumAn arriving in close proximity to eliminate AzhwAr’s suffering, and uniting subsequently and is mercifully explaining it. How is that done? To eliminate AzhwAr’s suffering, emperumAn arrived in close proximity at thirukkadiththAnam, to unite with AzhwAr and showed great desire towards AzhwAr. AzhwAr meditated upon that and became blissful. mAmunigaL mercifully explains this principle explained in “elliyum kAlaiyum” starting with “ellipagal“.
elli pagal nadandha indha vidAy thIrugaikku
mella vandhu thAn kalakka vENumena – nallavargaL
mannu kadiththAnaththE mAl irukka mARan kaNdu
innilaiyaich chonnAn irundhu
elli pagal nadandha – occurred many nights and days
indha vidAy thIrugaikku – to eliminate this sorrow
mella vandhu thAn kalakka vENum ena – thinking to arrive slowly and enjoy
nallavargaL mannu – where very glorious vaidhikas are residing
kadiththAnaththE – in thirukkadiththAnam
mAl irukka – as sarvESvaran resides
mARan kaNdu – AzhwAr saw (that presence)
irundhu – became stable
innilaiyaich chonnAn – mercifully spoke about such nature
Thinking to arrive slowly and enjoy AzhwAr and to eliminate AzhwAr’s sorrow which occurred over many nights and days, as sarvESvaran resides in thirukkadiththAnam where very glorious vaidhikas are residing, AzhwAr saw that, became stable and mercifully spoke about such nature [of emperumAn].
Highlights from vyAkyAnam
- elli pagal nadandha indha vidAy thIrugaikku mella vandhu thAn kalakka vENumena – To pacify the suffering endured by AzhwAr in night and day, emperumAn thought about enjoying AzhwAr, arrived in a relaxed manner [towards AzhwAr], first, as said in samkshEpa rAmAyaNam “bharadhvAjASramam gathvA” (entered bharadhvAja rishi’s hermitage).
- nallavargaL mannu kadiththAnaththE mAl irukka mARan kaNdu – As sarvESvaran arrived and stayed in thirukkadiththAnam to accept AzhwAr, where the favourable ones are permanently residing as said in “naRpugazh vEdhiyar nAnmaRai ninRadhir kaRpagach chOlaith thirukkadiththAnamE” (he is standing in thirukkadiththAnam which is having garden filled with kalpaka trees and vaidhikas who are having the greatness of being ananya prayOjana and who stand and chant four vEdhams loudly) [10th pAsuram], “selvargaL vAzhum thirukkadiththAnamE” (thirukkadiththAnam where bhAgavathas are living) [1st pAsuram], “thEsaththamarar thirukkadiththAnaththai” (thirukkadiththAnam which is the destination for nithyasUris who have unsurpassed glow) [4th pAsuram].
AzhwAr who saw that presence,
- innilaiyaich chonnAn irundhu – Explained emperumAn’s nature of residing in thirukkadiththAnam to eliminate AzhwAr’s suffering and pacify AzhwAr, as said in,
- “thirukkadiththAnamum ennudaich chindhaiyum orukkaduththu uLLE uRaiyum pirAn” (emperumAn is holding thirukkadiththAnam thiruppathi and my heart together and is the great benefactor who is living in both of them) [2nd pAsuram]
- “uLLundhORum thiththippAn thiruvamar mArvan thirukkadiththAnaththai maruvi uRaiginRa mAyap pirAnE” (emperumAn, having lakshmi in his divine chest, resides eternally in thirukkadiththAnam, fitting well there. Everytime such amazing benefactor is thought of, it feels sweet) [3rd pAsuram]
- “thEsaththamarar thirukkadiththAnaththai vAsap pozhil mannu kOyil koNdAnE” (The amazing benefactor has thirukkadiththAnam which is having a very fragrant garden and is the destination for nithyasUris who have unsurpassed glow, as his abode) [4th pAsuram]
- “nEsaththinAl nenjam nAdu kudi koNdAn” (acquired the vast place of my heart as his residence) [4th pAsuram]
- “kOyil koNdAn than thirukkadiththAnaththaik kOyil koNdAn adhanOdum en nenjagam” (emperumAn accepted thirukkadiththAnam as his distinguished abode; along with that, he accepted my heart too as his abode) [5th pAsuram]
- “en nenjum thirukkadith thAna nagarum thanadhAyap padhiyE” (for my amazing lord, my heart and this town thirukkadiththAnam remain as distinguished, hereditary abodes) [6th pAsuram]
- “aRpudhan nArAyaNan ari vAmanan niRpadhu mEvi iruppadhen nenjagam naRpugazh vEdhiyar nAnmaRai ninRadhir kaRpagach chOlaith thirukkadiththAnamE” (emperumAn who is with (enjoyable) amazing activities, who is having the apt relationship, who is the one who eliminates the hurdles to experience him, and who is the one who comes as a seeker and gives enjoyment, is residing in my heart, fitting well there; he is standing in thirukkadiththAnam which is having garden filled with kalpaka trees and vaidhikas who are having the greatness of being ananya prayOjana and who stand and chant four vEdhams loudly) [10th pAsuram]
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org