SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the ninth pAsuram, parAnguSa nAyaki tells some swans “When you reach thiruvaNvaNdUr and see him, instead of informing my state to him in public, do it in private”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Ninth pAsuram. parAnguSa nAyaki tells some swans “You inform him my state in private with the presence of the one [SrI mahAlakshmi] who says ‘na kaSchinnAparAdhyathi‘ (who does not commit mistakes?)”.
adigaL kai thozhudhu alar mEl asaiyum annangAL
vidivai sangolikkum thiruvaNvaNdUr uRaiyum
kadiya mAyan thannaik kaNNanai nedumAlaik kaNdu
kodiya val vinaiyEn thiRam kURumin vERu koNdE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
(due to the pride of flying high)
alar mEl – on flower
asaiyum – swaying due to the blowing wind, as those who sleep on a mattress
annangAL – Oh swans!
vidivai – highlighting the sunrise
sangu – conch
olikkum – blowing
thiruvaNvaNdUr – in thiruvaNvaNdUr
uRaiyum – one who resides
kadiya – being firm on his interests overcoming the opponent [devotees]
mAyan thannai – having amazing activities which capture the opponent
kaNNanai – having great obedience towards such opponents who were captured
nedu mAlai – having great attachment which is the cause for his such actions
kaNdu – seeing him humbly instead of manifesting your supremacy
adigaL – towards his divine feet
kai thozhudhu – engaging in devotional activities
kodiya – very pitiable
val – very strong
vinaiyEn – I who am having sin in the form of this love [towards him], my
thiRam – in my matter
vERu koNdu – in a private location
kURumin – inform him
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh swans who are swaying on the flower due to the blowing wind, as those who sleep on a mattress! emperumAn who is firm on his interests overcoming the opponent [devotees], having amazing activities which capture the opponent and having great attachment which is the cause for his such actions, is in thiruvaNvaNdUr where the sunrise is highlighted by the blowing conch; on seeing him, humbly engage in devotional activities towards his divine feet instead of manifesting your supremacy, in a private location, inform him about me who am having very pitiable and strong sin in the form of this love. By this, the greatness of the birth of gatakas (AchAryas) and their pride due to the distinguished union with emperumAn are implied.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- adigaL kai thozhudhu – Worshipping his lotus feet with the hands. Performing service which he cannot refuse.
- adigaL kai thozhudhu – kURumin – Inform him so that both you and him are focussed on the subject instead of looking elsewhere. So what if he delayed his arrival, he will not become someone else. He may be little bit careless due to the romantic quarrel, but there is no lacking in his natural compassion. That will remain in him forever.
- alar mEl asaiyum annangAL – While I am longing for the flower [from emperumAn], does it fit for you to enjoy staying on the flower? While I am suffering staying on the ground, will you derive pleasure on the flower? Only if you unite me with emperumAn on his flower like soft mattress, you will have real joy.
- alar mEl asaiyum annangAL – By your deed, he cannot avoid arriving here. You will not be your true self, if you don’t unite us together. This being the case, is it apt for me to suffer like this? Oh swans who are swaying due to being together on the flower!
- vidivai … – As you set out to go there, you will hear the sound of the blowing conch. There in thiruvaNvaNdUr, it is unlike here [here the night is stretching too long and hence there is no sound of conch], and if it is similar there to here, wouldn’t he have come? vidivai – during every sunrise.
- vidivai sangolikkum thiruvaNvaNdUr – In thiruvaNvaNdUr, both day and night are seen. As said in SrI rAmAyaNam bAla kANdam 77.26 “ruthUn bahUn” (different seasons), emperumAn is enjoying different aspects matching the different seasons with different tools fitting the grand assembly there; sage vAlmeeki could have said “vathsarAn” (years) but he said “ruthUn” to indicate the variegated enjoyment for different seasons.
- vidivai sangolikkum – The abode of parAnguSa nAyaki is having dawn-less night.
- thiruvaNvaNdUr uRaiyum – He placed me in the place where there is no dawn; and he remains in a place where there is dawn. Where he is, there will be dawn. It is said in iraNdAm thiruvandhAdhi 81 “pagal kaNdEn nAraNanaik kaNdEn” (I saw the dawn, and I saw nArAyaNan).
- kadiya mAyan thannai – One who has amazing skills in destroying the enemies of his devotees.
- kaNNanai – one who gives himself to his devotees by being their servitor.
- nedumAlai – one who has so much love thinking “I have done nothing for my devotees” even after doing so much. Alternative explanation [bhattar’s view] – kadiya mAyan implies the one who is cruel not to know about the suffering of those who are in separation from him.
- kaNNanai nedumAlai – Humility/obedience is present at times, but supremacy is present at all times. Now, even his assuming of humble form is not done naturally, but only done to hurt me.
- kodiya val vinaiyEn – I have committed sins which no one else have committed in this world. The sin of others will be removed by getting close to bhagavAn, but I have committed such a great sin that close proximity to bhagavAn ended up tormenting me [in separation].
- thiRam – my situation is like mahAbhAratham [so big to explain].
- kURumin vERu koNdE – Don’t tell him in the assembly where he may not hear it, but tell him privately. That is, inform him where he and SrI mahAlakshmi, both are present. That is – AzhwAr always addresses perumAL and pirAtti together as seen in thiruvAimozhi 6.8.10 “en thirumArvaRkkennai” (me who is for my lord who has SrI mahAlakshmi in his chest), thiruvAimozhi 1.4.7 “en thirumAlArkku en pizhaiththAL” (What wrong she did towards my lord who is the lord of SrI mahAlakshmi) and in thiruvAimozhi 9.7.6 “mAdharaith tham mArvagaththE vaiththArkku” (for the one who has SrI mahAlakshmi in his chest).
- vERu koNdE – kURumin – As said in SrI rAmAyaNam AraNya kANdam 15.6 “sIthA samaksham kAkuthstham” (lakhmaNa spoke to SrI rAma, in the presence of sIthA), please inform this message in the presence of the one who will make it happen. Inform him where he is along with the one [SrI mahAlakshmi] who will give him good advice.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org