SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully explains elimination of all doubts as the result of (learning) this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
In the end, AzhwArsays that for those who know/recite this decad, they do not have the defect of considering other dhEvathAs as supreme.
ஏத்த ஏழ் உலகும் கொண்ட கோலக்
கூத்தனைக் குருகூர்ச் சடகோபன் சொல்
வாய்த்த ஆயிரத்துள் இவை பத்துடன்
ஏத்த வல்லவர்க்கு இல்லை ஓர் ஊனமே
Eththa Ezh ulagum koNda kOlak
kUththanaik kurukUrch chatakOpan sol
vAyththa AyiraththuL ivai paththudan
Eththa vallavarkku illai Or UnamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Eththa – having the glorification by the residents of the world as water that helps him grow
Ezhulagum – all worlds
koNda – measured and accepted
kOlam – bodily beauty
kUththanai – measuring as a talented dancer will dance effortlessly
kurukUrch chatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sol – mercifully spoken
vAyththa – rare/unexpected gain (for the universe)
ivai paththu – these 10 pAsurams
udan – accepting (the meanings)
Eththa – speaking in the form of praise
vallavarkku – those who are capable
Or Unam – defects (considering other dhEvathAs as great, considering them as equal to emperumAn or considering emperumAn to be lower than they)
illai – not present
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
These 10 pAsurams are mercifully blessed by AzhwAr as most rare/unexpected gain (for the universe) in glorification of the most beautiful emperumAn who measured all worlds effortlessly like a talented dancer dances. For those who are well versed in this decad (accepting the principles) there is no defect of considering other dhEvathAs as great, considering them as equal to emperumAn or considering emperumAn to be lower than they.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- Eththa Ezhulagum koNda – Glorified as in vishNu dharmam “sangaissurANAm …” (groups of dhEvas from the heavenly planets, groups of humans from earth, dwellers from celstial vehicles in the sky glorified thrivikrama. Let such thrivikrama who measured the world be there for my auspiciousness), bhagavAn placed all the worlds under his feet out of happiness of being glorified like that.
- kOlak kUththanai – When he measured the world, it looked so gracious like a well-talented dancer’s dance. AzhwAr does not desire for getting his kingdom back like indhra – instead, he is simply enjoying the beauty of emperumAn.
- kurukUrch chatakOpan sol – for trustworthiness, it is said “spoken by so and so”.
- satakOpan – In comparison to vEdhAntham (which is apaurushEyam – not created by anyone), the greatness of thiruvAimozhi in coming out of AzhwAr‘s mouth.
- vAyththa Ayiram – Just like the greatness of emperumAn, this prabandham is also great; also explained as, thiruvAimozhi is greater than emperumAn. That is, this thiruvAimozhi explains emperumAn as he is – hence the greatness.
- ivai paththudan Eththa vallavarkku – For those who can sing this decad, accepting its meanings fully.
- illai Or UnamE – Defect for the AthmA is considering other dhEvathAs as supreme and not considering the supreme lord to be supreme. Such defects are not present for those who learn this decad.
nampiLLai, gives a brief summary of the whole decad at the end.
In the first pAsuram, the principle explained in this decad is briefly highlighted. From the second pAsuram, emperumAn‘s many qualities such as he being the remover of sorrows, being the one with auspicious qualities, being most tender, being lotus eyed, being the helper in danger, having great abilities to accomplish the unimaginable tasks, being the creator and sustainer, being the annihilator, being the object of praising of those who consider themselves to be supreme – thus establishing his supremacy through various examples and finally declares the result of those who learn this decad and completes the decad.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org