SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, after looking at his face and saying “muga oLi thigazha muRuval seydhu ninRilaiyE“, they forgot their internal anger, and thinking about his many efforts to turn them favourable towards him, being pacified, parAnguSa nAyaki says “We are tormented by you who are the protector in all ways!”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Tenth pAsuram. They stood there saying “nin muga oLi thigazha muRuval seydhu ninRilaiyE” without seeing what is coming; he did not destroy just their sandcastle but the anger in their heart; once that anger was eliminated, they looked up and observed him from his divine feet to his divine head; he stood there with the joy of winning over them; they are now talking about the greatness of such form.
ninRilangu mudiyinAy! irubaththOrukAl arasu kaLai katta
venRi nIL mazhuvA! viyan gyAlam mun padaiththAy!
inRivvAyar kulaththai vIduyyath thOnRiya karu mANikkach chudar!
nin thannAl nalivE paduvOm enRum AychchiyOmE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
(as there is no shortcoming in protection of the whole universe)
ninRu – to remain firmly
ilangu – shining
mudiyinAy – wearing divine crown
irubaththOrkAl – twenty one generations
arasu – kings
kaLai katta – destroyed
venRi – victorious
nIL – big
mazhuvAl – one who is having the axe!
viyal – vast
gyAlam – world
mun – during srushti (creation)
padaiththAy – one who created
inRu – now as well
i – this
Ayar kulam – cowherd clan
vIdu – with their families
uyya – to uplift
thOnRiya – one who appeared
karu mANikkach chudar – oh one who is having the form which is radiant like blue gem!
nin thannAl – by you (since you are the protector in all ways, you being our lord who eliminated our anger, and brought us back to life, and having relationship with us and are having an enjoyable form)
AychchiyOm – we who are born in this ignorant cowherd clan
enRum – always
nalivu – suffering
paduvOmE – will go through – she is recollecting and telling about the previous sufferings after being pacified.
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh one who is wearing the shining, divine crown to remain firmly! Oh one who is having the big, victorious axe which destroyed twenty one generations of kings! Oh one who is having the form which is radiant like blue gem, who created the vast world during srushti and now appeared in the cowherd clan to uplift them with their families! We who are born in this ignorant cowherd clan will always go through suffering caused by you – she is recollecting and telling about the previous sufferings after being pacified. The plural used in all the pAsurams after “nAnadhunjuvan” (I fear for that) in the first pAsuram [as singular], can be construed as “royal we” [treating oneself respectfully] or speaking on behalf of self and her friends.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- ninRu ilangu mudiyinay – Before winning them [parAnguSa nAyaki and her friends], the crown remained heavy as mere weight on his divine head; only then, it started shining. Just as some kings will wear crowns of valour and victory after winning over other kings, though emperumAn was crowned before, before winning over them, it was insignificant. Winning over the beloved consorts is unlike winning over rAvaNa et al [this is much more pleasing]. Only after eliminating their hesitation and accepting them, his crown became significant, having supremacy and radiance. SrI rAmAyaNam bAla kANdam 1.85 “abhishichya cha lankAyAm rAkshasEndhram vibhIshaNam kruthakruthya: …” (SrI rAma crowned SrI vibhIshaNa as the king of lankA and felt fulfilled and relieved from shivers) – SrI rAma became pale thinking “What if SrI vibhIshaNa too refuses to be crowned and requests me to take care of the kingdom as done by SrI bharathAzhwAn?”; “at least one major weight is eliminated; what if this [kingdom of lankA] also had become my responsibility?”. It is natural for the descendants of ikshvAku to shy away from the throne [Here SrI vibhIshaNa is also considered as descendant of ikshvAku since he was accepted by SrI rAma as brother]. It is our true nature to accept the divine feet of emperumAn and shy away from the throne.
emperumAn said “Leave that aside; Have I not eliminated your hesitation and won over you?”.
- irubaththOr kAl … – For you who had won over 21 generations of prideful kings, is it difficult to win over us who are helpless girls? For you who can easily win over those who consider them to be their own, is it a great thing to win over us who are fully existing for you? Oh one who uprooted the demonic kings who tormented the citizens! For you who won over the kings, is winning over the cowherd girls a great thing?
- viyan gyAlam mun padaiththAy – Just as you recreated the earth which was totally destroyed during deluge, you have brought us back to life after we became totally destroyed by the romantic anger. viyan – amazing. Just as you lifted up the earth which was consumed by the deluge, you lifted us up from the deluge of the suffering in separation. You protected the earth there since there was none to reject your help [considering earth to be insentient], but here, have you not brought our life back even while we stopped you saying “kazhagam EREl” (Don’t enter our assembly)?
- inRu … – Should we go searching [for your helpful acts] in general creation as said in thaiththirIya upanishath “bahusyAm” (Let me be many)? Have you not taken birth in our own cowherd clan and protected everyone in this clan by showing your divine form? Your partiality towards your devotees, which you did as your own benefit, is well manifested in your form.
- vIduyya – To uplift everyone along with their descendants as said in “saputhra pauthras sagaNA:” (With the belongings such as sons, grandsons et al).
- thOnRiya – Appeared. They are saying “karu mANikkach chudar” (shining like blue gem) since he united with those who were refusing to unite with them due to praNaya rOsham (romantic anger).
- nin thannAl … – It has so happened that we are being tormented by you instead of either getting killed as enemies or moving away from you as materialistic people! Now, these words are spoken by parAnguSa nAyaki after she united with emperumAn and in embrace with him. Until now, she was talking about her victory, and only now she has accepted defeat at his hands.
- nalivE paduvOm – Did we really achieve this [union]? We will only get what we usually have. What they usually have is suffering only as said in thiruviruththam 16 “kUdilum nIngilum yAm melidhum” (we are weakened both in union and separation).
- AychchiyOmE – We who don’t even know the difference between left hand and right hand.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org