SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end, AzhwAr explains “those who practice this decad, will get all kinds of kainkaryams desired by me”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains acquiring the wealth of kainkaryam as the result of this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
In the end, AzhwAr explains “those who practice this decad, will get all kinds of kainkaryams at the divine feet of thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn as desired by me”.
thAL parappi maN thAviya Isanai
nIL pozhil kurugUrch chatakOpan sol
kEzhil Ayiraththu ippaththum vallavar
vAzhvar vAzhveydhi gyAlam pugazhavE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thAL – divine feet
parappi – spread
maN – earth
thAviya – measured
Isanai – sarvESvaran
nIL – high (well-grown)
pozhil – having gardens
kurugUr – leader of AzhwArthirunagari
SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sol – mercifully spoken by
kEzh – match
il – not having
Ayiraththu – thousand pAsurams
ippaththum – this decad also
vallavar – one who can recite (along with meditating upon the meanings)
vAzhvu – the glorious wealth of kainkaryam (which AzhwAr prayed for)
eydhi – attain
gyAlam – the whole world
pugazh – praise
vAzhvar – live gloriously (in such servitude)
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nammAzhwAr, the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which is having high (well-grown) gardens mercifully spoke about sarvESvaran who spread his divine feet and measured the earth, in this thousand pAsurams; one who can recite (along with meditating upon the meanings) this decad also, will attain the glorious wealth of kainkaryam (which AzhwAr prayed for) and will live gloriously (in such servitude) being praised by the whole world.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- thAL parappi maN thAviya Isanai – AzhwAr glorified sarvESvaran who measured the rough terrain of earth that has forests and mountains, with his tender divine feet, like spreading soft flowers over a rough surface. But when asked “Did he not glorify thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn [why speak about vAmana/thrivikrama here]?”, AzhwArs have mercifully glorified thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn as vAmanan as in periya thirumozhji 1.10.4 “koNdAy kuRaLAy nilam IradiyAlE viN thOy sigarath thurvEnkatamEya aNdA” (Oh God of gods thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn who is residing in thiruvEnkatam which has very tall peaks! you accepted the world by measuring them with your divine feet as a dwarf), thiruvAimozhi 6.10.6 “maN aLandha iNaith thAmaraigaL” (the divine lotus feet [of thiruvEkankatamudaiyAn] which measured the earth) and in periya thirumozhi 5.8.9 “ulagam aLandha ponnadiyE adaindhuyndhu” (reached the golden feet that measured the world and got uplifted); Also seeing at his posture which welcomes everyone to take shelter of his divine feet [like thrivikrama] and because he gives himself to forest and monkeys [the simplicity which is a quality of vAmana], thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn is explained as SrI vAmana.
- nIL pozhil … – Mercifully composed by nammAzhwAr who is the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which has well-grown shade-giving trees like a shelter for the divine feet which mercifully measured the world.
- kEzhil Ayiram … – kEzh – oppu (match). Those who can recite this matchless decad. The speciality of this decad is due to it being the decad where AzhwAr prays for the kainkaryam that is suitable for the true nature of the AthmA.
- vAzhvar vAzhvu eydhi – Instead of it being just a desire/dream, AzhwAr‘s desire of the wealth of servitude will materialize [for those who recite this decad] and they will enjoy the same.
- gyAlam pugazhavE – vAzhvar – [They will also be glorified] Like whole of ayOdhyA praised lakshmaNa “How special iLaiya perumAL (lakshamaNa) is! What great kainkaryam he got [to serve SrI rAma]!”.
Also explained as,
- vAzhvu eydhi – gyAlam pugazha – vAzhvar – Unlike glorifying a wealthy person even though his cruelty may still be in the heart, just to earn their livelihood, those who recite this decad will glorify emperumAn with great love [after attaining great kainkaryam], thinking “We are fortunate to glorify emperumAn! what a life we have!”. Not just the most knowledgable persons, everyone one will affectionately glorify such devotees [who practice this decad].
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr longed to perform all kinds of kainkaryams to the divine feet of thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn at all times in all forms.
- In the second pAsuram, when asked “Is that not done in the special abode of paramapadham?”, he replied “Even those residents of paramapadham come here and serve him. So, we too can get that here”.
- In the third pAsuram, he said “If he can give himself to those who are filled with good qualities (nithyasUris – eternally free souls), why would not he give himself to those who are filled with defects (samsAris – worldly people)?”.
- In the fourth pAsuram, he said “Giving himself to those nithyasUris is nothing great for him in comparison to giving himself to me”.
- In the fifth pAsuram, he said “Giving himself to me is not something great, when he cannot find anyone lower than me”.
- In the sixth pAsuram, he said “as we engage in servitude towards him, our hurdles will be naturally eliminated”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, he said “thirumalai AzhwAr (divine hill) himself will bestow this kainkaryam to us”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, he said “this thirumalai AzhwAr would eliminate our hurdles and also will bestow himself to us”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, AzhwAr said “is thirumalai AzhwAr required to do this? relationship to the one who is related to thirumalai AzhwAr (i.e., thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn) is sufficient”.
- In the tenth pAsuram, he said “Since the lord himself desires for thirumalai, all the servants of the lord should also take shelter of thirumalai”.
- In the end, he explains the result and concludes the decad.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org