SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In tenth pAsuram, out of abundant joy, AzhwAr requests everyone to take shelter of the divine foot hills of thirumalai.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr tells his own people “Accept thirumalai which is perfectly enjoyable, as the ultimate goal”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
In tenth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “Since thirumalai is the goal, all of you take shelter of its foot hills when your senses are functioning well”.
Tenth pAsuram. AzhwAr says “Since thirumai AzhwAr is the goal for everyone, all of you take shelter of the divine hill”.
vaiththa nAL varai ellai kuRugich chenRu
eyththiLaippadhan munnam adaiminO
paiththa pAmbaNaiyAm thiruvEnkatam
moyththa sOlai moy pUm thadam thAzhvarE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
paiththa – having expanded hoods
pAmbu – ananthan (AdhiSEshan)
aNaiyAn – sarvESvaran who is having AdhiSEshan as his bed
thiruvEnkatam – in thirumalai (that is glorified for its similarity in form to AdhiSeshan)
moyththa – enriched
sOlai – garden
moy – beautiful
pU – having flowers
thadam – having space
thAzhvar – divine foot hills
vaiththa – determined (for you)
nAL – life span
varai – end
ellai – the beginning (of such end)
kuRugi – approach you
eyththu – (senses) wane
iLaippadhan munnam – (due to that) before (the heart) dies
senRu – go (as said in nAnmugan thiruvandhAdhi 44 “pOm kumarar uLLeer purindhu“)
adaimin – reach
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
thirumalai is glorified due to its similarity in its form to ananthan (AdhiSEshan) who is having expanded hoods and is the bed of sarvESvaran; the spacious divine foot hills of such thirumalai is having enriched garden with beautiful flowers; before your senses wane and your heart dies (due to that) when the beginning of the end of your determined life span approaches you, go and reach such divine foot hills of thirumalai.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vaithth nAL varai ellai kuRugi – It is explained that sarvESvaran gave this good body to the chEthana (sentient being) to go to thirumalai and not to go to those worldly aspects which lead him to hell. It is explained in SrI vishNu dharmam “vichithrA dhEhasampaththir ISwarAya nivEdhithum | pUrvamEva kruthA brahman hasthapAdhAdhisamyuthA ||” (Oh brAhmaNa! To offer oneself and other materials, AthmA previously got connected to the amazing body with hands and legs). nampiLLai beautifully explains SrI rAmAyaNam ayOdhyA kANdam 40.5 “srushtasthvam vanavAsAya” (sumithrA says to lakshmaNa – “you are given birth to accompany (and serve) SrI rAma in the forest”).
- srushtathvam vanavAsAya – lakshmaNa said to sumithrA “perumAL (SrI rAma) is going to the forest to obey the orders of our father. I too will go along with him” and sumithrA replies “Did I give birth to you for you to stay in the palace while he is toiling in the forest? If you did this (go with SrI rAma), my purpose of giving birth to you is fulfilled. I gave birth to you to accompany him whenever he needs support”.
- svanurakthassurujjanE – Are you not truly devoted to saintly people? So you protect SrI rAma who is like the heart for everyone. Also explained as “suhrujjanE – rAmE” – as you are truly devoted to SrI rAma since time immemorial, do I even have to tell you to go along with him?
- rAmE pramAdham mA kArshI: – But I have to instruct you in one thing. Don’t ever be forgetful. When lakshmaNa asked “forgetful in what sense?”, sumithrA says
- puthra bhrAthari gachchathi – your brother would walk. By his stylish walk, he will steal our heart. By getting mesmerized in such walk, don’t forget your duty of protecting him. Similarly, this chEthana was also placed in this material realm, to make him go to thirumalai [and serve there].
- vaiththa nAL varai ellai kuRugich chenRu – Reaching the end of the life span which is determined by ISwara.
- eyththu iLaippadhan munnam adaiminO – Go to thirumalai while the desire to go there exists and before reaching the state “how pitiful! my senses are not allowing me to travel”.
- paiththa … – sarvESvaran who is having thiruvananthAzhwAn (AdhiSEshan) whose hoods are expanded due to the touch of emperumAn, as his bed. The abode which is dearer to emperumAn even more than AdhiSEshan. Alternatively, thirumalai AzhwAr (the divine hill) himself is explained as thiruvananthAzhwAn (AdhiSEshan).
- moyththa … – Before becoming weak, reach the divine foot hills which has enriched garden and ponds which have well blossomed flowers. Here weakness is of two types – becoming weak in heart [losing the attachment for bhagavAn] and becoming weak in body [old age etc].
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org