SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
AzhwAr explains attaining parampadham as the result for reciting this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
In the end – AzhwAr says “if there is any one who can practice this decad, they will reach parampadham and enjoy eternally”.
kURudhal onRArAk kudak kUththa ammAnai
kURudhalE mEvik kurugUrch chatakOpan
kURina andhAdhi OrAyiraththuL ippaththum
kURudhal vallAr uLarEl kUduvar vaikundhamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
onRu – one quality
kURudhal – if spoken
ArA – cannot be fully spoken
kudak kUththu – [emperumAn who is having] auspicious qualities such as SeeLa (simplicity) which is manifested by him dancing like a cow-herd boy with pots
ammAnai – master
kURudhal – to explain (as is)
mEvi – set out
kurugUrch chatakOpan – AzhwAr (who became knowledegable and devoted to emperumAn by the grace of emperumAn)
kURina – mercifully explained
andhAdhi – anthAdhi style (First word/sentence of a pAsuram relates to the last word/sentence of previous pAsuram) in which the structure of the pAsurams cannot be corrupted
Or – unique/matchless
AyiraththuL – in the thousand pAsurams
ip paththum – this decad
kURudhal – to recite/speak
vallAr – able
uLarEl – if present
vaikundham – paramapadham (spiritual realm)
kUduvar – reach
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Even if attempted, our lord emperumAn‘s qualities such as SeeLam (simplicity) which are manifested through kudak kUththu etc, cannot be spoken. nammAzhwAr who was blessed by emperumAn with knowledge and devotion, set out to speak (as it is) about such emperumAn’s qualities; AzhwAr thus sang this decad in this distinct/matchless thousand pAsurams which are in anthAdhi style which cannot be corrupted. Those who are able to recite these 10 pAsurams will reach paramapadham.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kURudhal … – When set out to speak about his nature, as mentioned in thaiththiriya upanishath Anandhavalli, it is impossible to completely explain his nature. Here AzhwAr is not speaking about his supremacy which cannot be explained; AzhwAr is actually saying that emperumAn‘s act of dancing with pots as a cow-herd boy cannot be explained fully.
- ammAnai – One who manifested his kudak kUththu, thereby making me fully exist for him. mahAbhAratham bhIshma parva “vishnOr jishNOr vasudhEvAthmajasya” (vishNu (omni-present), jishNu (victorious) who appeared as the divine son of vasudhEva).
- kURudhalE mEvi – vEdham withdrew itself highlighting inability to speak about bhagavAn – but AzhwAr pursues such task and sets out to do it nicely. In eighth pAsuram, he said “nAn solluvadhen? solleerE” (How can I speak? you speak if possible) and immediately in ninth pAsuram, he said “solleer en ammAnai” (speak about my lord) – that is AzhwAr’s nature.
Did he just attempt to speak or did he succeed speaking about bhagavAn?
- kurugUrch chatakOpan – Since he is nammAzhwAr who was blessed divinely by emperumAn, there is no doubt about his ability to glorify emperumAn.
- kURina andhAdhi … – The 10 pAsurams in this prabandham which are as glorious as the object of this prabandham – which is emperumAn himself.
- kUduvar vaikundhamE – Instead of not achieving the goal as said in thiruvAimozhi 2.3.10 “adiyAr kuzhAngaLai udan kUduvadhu enRukolO?” (when I will reach the divine assembly of nithyasUris agreeing to their principles?) and instead of suffering in separation as in thiruvAimozhi 2.4 “AdiyAdi“, immediately on reciting these pAsurams, they will attain the goal which I attained by tiresome prayers. When father’s wealth is present (which is acquired by him with great difficulty), the son would simply enjoy the wealth. No need to suffer like AzhwAr; those who learn/practice this decad, they can simply participate in AzhwAr’s result.
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr explained how emperumAn came along with his entourage and united with him.
- In the second pAsuram, He said “after uniting with me, his divine form, divine features and divine weapons became radiant”.
- In the third pAsuram, He said “emperumAn united with me in such a manner that, He would feel existing when being together with me and in separation He would feel as though non-existing”.
- In the fourth pAsuram, AzhwAr ridiculed the examples given to him (his features) since they are no match for him.
- In the fifth pAsuram, He skipped the examples and directly enjoyed bhagavAn.
- In the sixth pAsuram, He said “such distinct emperumAn enjoyed me like mukthAthmAs (liberated souls) would enjoy him”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, AzhwAr said “emperumAn assumed the forms of SrI rAma, krishNa et al for AzhwAr’s sake”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, AzhwAr said “He does not have the ability to speak about emperumAn”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, AzhwAr, seeking out for company, set out to speak about emperumAn.
- In the tenth pAsuram, AzhwAr said “Even to speak about a single quality of emperumAn united with me thus, is very difficult”.
- In the end, AzhwAr explains the result for those who recite this decad and completes the same.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org