srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImadh varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
After calling bhagavath prApthi kAmar (one who wants to serve bhagavAn), periyAzhwAr still not satisfied, starts calling out for kaivalyArththi (Athma prApthi kAmar – ones who are interested in self-enjoyment) and aiswaryArththi (ones who desire wealth). Amongst those two, first, he calls for Athma prApthi kAmar. Why should AzhwAr first call Athma prApthi kAmar instead of aiswaryArththi? It is not because Athma prApthi kAmar are greater than aiswaryArththi as AzhwAr very well knows that kaivalya mOksham (enjoying oneself eternally) is very dangerous (since its a point of no return). The actual reason being that if Athma prApthi kAman relinquishes the sarIram (body), there is no way he can get the parama purushArththam (ultimate destiny) (because he can never get another sarIram and attain mOksham eventually). At least for asiwaryArththi, if not now, some day he can start thinking about bhagavath kainkarya mOksham (serving emperumAn eternally) – but for kaivalyArththi, that option is not available. So, he is in greater danger and that is why AzhwAr invites such kaivalyArththis now.
ஏடு நிலத்தில் இடுவதன் முன்னம் வந்து எங்கள் குழாம் புகுந்து
கூடு மன முடையீர்கள் வரம்பொழி வந்துஒல்லைக் கூடுமினோ
நாடும் நகரமும் நன்கறிய நமோ நாராயணாய என்று
பாடு மனம் உடைப் பத்தர் உள்ளீர் வந்து பல்லாண்டு கூறுமினே
Edu nilaththil iduvathan munnam vaNthu engaL kuzhAm pugunthu
kUdu manam udaiyIrgaL varambozhi vanthollaik kUduminO
nAdu nagaramum nangaRiya namO nArAyaNAya enRu
pAdu manam udaip paththar uLLIr vanthu pallANdu kURuminE
Edu nilaththil iduvathan munnam – Before you are put in the graveyard/crematory ground
vanthu engaL kuzhAm pugunthu – come, join our ghOshti (group)
kUdu manam udaiyIrgaL – if you have that thought (of joining us),
varambozhi vanthu – giving up kaivalyam
ollai – soon/immediately
kUduminO – come and join our ghOsti
nAdum – people living in country-side
nagaramum – people living in cities
nangaRiya – for both to be cognizance of your good,
namO nArAyaNA enRu – chanting thirumanthram
pAdu manam udaip paththar uLLIr vanthu – if you have the bhakthi to sing thirumanthram
pallAnNdu kURuminE – come and sing thirupallANdu.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai’s commentary:
- Edu nilam – “Edu” is explained as graveyard by piLLai amudhanAr. “Edu” is also explained as sUskhma sarIram (subtle body). It is explained as, before placing the body in graveyard or before the body becomes transformed into sUkshma state (as part of praLayam (annihilation)). This shows the concern of AzhwAr towards the helpless state of such kaivalyArththis after attaining their goal.
- engaL kuzhAm pugunthu – In this ghOshti (group), everyone is happy for others’ pERu (welfare)!! Generally, kaivalyArththis would enjoy ones own AthmA individually – there is no sharing/caring for others. But our bhAgavatha gOshti is always sharing/caring for others.
- kUdu manam udaiyIrgaL – What is the condition to join in this ghOshti? AzhwAr says just “desire” is enough. Since singing mangaLAsAsanam for emperumAn is natural for jIvAthmA, one need not do anything even physically – just the desire itself is enough. For example, to serve ones parents, all one needs is the desire to serve them and the parents will happily accept him/her. Similarly, to serve emperumAn, we only need desire.
- ollaik kUdminO – Understanding the greatness of bhagavAn, should you not come immediately?
- nAdu – place of uncivilized/uneducated
- nagaram – place of civilized/educated
- nangaRiya – come to us so that your old friends (other kaivalyArththis) give up on you and bhAgavathas accept you for that reason (of giving up old friends).
- namO nArAyaNAya – Doing some thing favourable for the master is the real goal.
- pAdu manamudaip paththaruLLIr – (After approaching) just thinking would not be enough, you have to release your love/devotion towards emperumAn.
adiyEn sArathy rAmAnuja dAsan
adiyEn sudharsana rAmAnuja dAsan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://guruparamparai.wordpress.com
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org