SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the tenth pAsuram, AzhwAr says “I do not have the defect of needing another controller as I got to enjoy emperumAn‘s merciful descending into this material realm and returning to the danger-free thirunAdu (paramapadham)”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “I got to enjoy krishNa who is of param jyOthi (supremely radiant) nature, and who arranged the mahAbhAratha war to eliminate the burden on earth, and then ascended to his distinguished abode [of paramapadham]; is there any other controller for me?”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
maN misaip perum bAram nInga Or bhAradhamA perum pOr
paNNi mAyangaL seydhu sEnaiyaip pAzh pada nURRittup pOy
viN misaith thana dhAmamE puga mEviya sOdhi than thAL
naNNi nAn vaNangap peRREn enakkAr piRar nAyagarE?
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
maN – earth’s
misai – on top
peru – great (unbearable even for the all-bearing mother earth)
bAram – burden
nInga – to eliminate
Or – unique
bhAradham – bhAratha
A – that
peru – great
pOr – battle
paNNi – causing
mAyangaL – amazing activities (such as taking up arms giving up his own vow, transforming day into night etc)
seydhu – performing
sEnaiyai – all the armies
pAzh pada – to destroy
nURRittu – finishing by surrounding
pOy – ascending on completion of his task
viN misai – on the paramAkASam (supreme sky)
thana – his distinguished
dhAmamE – in the abode
puga mEviya – entered
sOdhi than – krishNa who is in a radiant form
thAL – divine feet
naNNi – approach
nAn – I
vaNanga – serve
peRREn – got to;
enakku – for me (who got this throne of servitude and became an emperor of servitude)
piRar – any other
nAyagar – controller
Ar – who?
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
krishNa who is in a radiant form, caused the great bhAratham battle in order to eliminate the great burden on earth; he performed amazing activities to destroy all the armies by surrounding them; and on completion of his task, he ascended to his distinguished abode on the paramAkASam; I got to approach and serve the divine feet of such emperumAn; is there any other controller for me?
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- maN misaip perum bAram nInga – The evil persons increased so much that even mother earth who is known as viSvambarA (all-bearing), kshamA (forbearance), poRai (mercy) and who can tolerate everything could not tolerate them. In thripAdh vibhUthi (paramapadham, which is 3 times bigger than material realm), though there are heavy persons as said in purusha sUktham 1.18 “… yathra pUrvE sAdhyAs santhi dhEvA:” (Those dhEvas in parama padham know that abode as a great one), there is no burden, since they do not have any ahankAram (ego, pride). They have already placed all their burdens on emperumAn.
- Or bhAradhamA perum pOr paNNi – Performing the unique, great battle of mahAbhAratham.
- mAyangaL seydhu – Performing acts such as transforming day into night, taking up arms after vowing not to do so, revealing the secrets of the enemies etc.
- sEnaiyaip pAzh pada nURRittup pOy – Vowed to turn the armies into dust. It is said in mahAbhAratham rAjasUya parvam “yasya manthrI cha gOpthA cha suhruthchaiva janArdhana:” (janArdhana who is the lord of all the worlds and is the minister, protector and friend of arjuna). Since they said “we will not let krishNa take up arms”, he defeated them through cunning ways.
- pOy viN misaith thana dhAmamE puga mEviya sOdhi than thAL – AzhwAr is rejoicing thinking “He ascended to paramapadham leaving their [devotees] abode [samsAram] only after eliminating their enemies!”. Leaving this abode where they place a fake throne [to kill him], they hurl insults on him etc and ascending to the abode where everyone cares for him only! mahAbhAratham mauSala parvam “kruthvA pArAvatharaNam …” [The wide eyed krishNa eliminated the burden of the earth]. pruthivyA: pArAvatharaNam – kruthvA – pruthu lOchana: – mOhayithvA jagath sarvam – He flattened the unfavourable ones with his stick and the favourable ones with his divine eyes. gathas svam sthAnam uththamam – [ascended to his supreme abode] viN misaith thana dhAmamE puga. uththamam – Instead of having to fear for the dangers caused by kamsa, dhuryOdhana et al, entered the abode where everyone cares for him. On a thIrtham day [thIrthavAri – the last day of uthsavam], mudhaliyANdAn and embAr met, said “emperumAn came with his most tender divine [archA (deity)] form, went around for 10 days amidst many crores of people who are filled with ahankAram (ego) and mamakAram (possessiveness)”, offered obeisances to each other and embraced each other – nanjIyar mercifully used to say that he personally witnessed it.
- naNNi nAn vaNangap peRREn – Unlike kAlayavana and jarAsandha who approached emperumAn to fight with him, I approached him properly [with humble attitude].
- enakkAr piRar nAyagarE – Who [else other than emperumAn] is the controller for me who could enjoy starting with his birth, his favours to his devotees by escaping the dangers which were aimed at him, and finally entered his own divine abode? It appears that AzhwAr has forgotten what he said in thiruvAimozhi 3.7.1 “payilum thiruvudaiyAr yavarElum” (anyone who has the wealth of worshipping emperumAn); but then, AzhwAr does not treat them as others [i.e., different from himself].
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org