SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end, periya pirAttiyAr who is engrossed in this great quality “namakkum pUvin misai nangaikkum” (for us and SrI mahAlakshmi) of emperumAn, feels joyful that she got the company of nammAzhwAr who understood and mercifully explained this quality [to others], removes all the sufferings of those who learned this decad which reveals this quality considering such act as her responsibility and protects them.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains as the result of this decad – just by engaging in this decad, lakshmi will eliminate all sins that are hurdles, by her merciful glance.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
In the end – AzhwAr says ” periya pirAttiyAr will consider those who learned this decad as her dependents and eliminate all their sufferings”.
mAri mARAdha thaN am malai vEnkataththaNNalai
vAri mARAdha paim pUm pozhil sUzh kurugUr nagark
kArimARan satakOpan sollAyiraththu ippaththAl
vEri mARAdha pUmEl iruppAL vinai thIrkkumE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
mAri mARAdha – due to non-stop rains
thaN – cool
am – attractive
vEnkatam – having the divine name thiruvEnkatam
malai – in thirumalai
(Having Seela guNam (simplicity) to present himself to inferior people)
aNNalai – natural lord
vAri mARAdha – having abundance of water (for services at his divine feet etc)
paim pUm pozhil – attractive gardens with abundance of flowers
sUzh – surrounded by
kurugUr nagar – in AzhwArthirunagari
kAri – having the relationship with kAri (who is his father)
mARan – having the family name of mARan
satakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sol – mercifully spoke
Ayiraththu – in the thousand pAsurams
ippaththAl – through this decad
vEri mARAdha – having continuous flow of honey
pU mEl – in the lotus flower
iruppAL – lakshmi who eternally resides
vinai – all sins (which are hurdles for enjoying bhagavAn)
thIrkkum – eliminate (by her divine glance)
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn is in thirumalai which has the divine name thiruvEnkatam, which is attractive and cool due to non-stop rains; nammAzhwAr who is having relationship with kAri (his father) and has the family name “mARan”, residing in AzhwArthirunagari, which is surrounded by attractive gardens with abundance of flowers and water, mercifully spoke about such emperumAn in this decad among the thousand pAsurams; through [learning/practicing] this decad, lakshmi who eternally resides in the lotus flower which has continuous flow of honey, will eliminate all sins.
Implies that – when she kindly glances at some one, emperumAn’s aparAdha sahathvam (tolerating the faults in such person) is inevitable.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- mAri … – AzhwAr praised sarvESvaran who is having thirumalai which is cool and attractive since it is always raining. As it is said in thiruviruththam 50 “viNmudhal nAyagan nILmudi veNmuththa vAsigaiththAy maN mudhal sErvuRRu aruvi seyyA niRkum malai” (The thirumalai which has waterfalls starting from the peak regions flowing down to the foothills which resemble white pearl garland decorating the divine crown of paramapadhanAthan), it appears attractive with flowing water. Since AzhwAr glorified emperumAn‘s Seelam (simplicity) of showing preferential treatment towards nithya samsAris (eternally bound souls) even ahead of the ever inseparable SrI mahAlakshmi, he is glorifying thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn (SrInivAsan) who is the ultimate manifestation of such simplicity.
- vAri … – As the rain never stops in thirumalai, thirunagari is also always with water, since thirumalai is the origin for thirunagari (like rain water in the mountain being the source of flowing water). AzhwArthirunagari which is surrounded by beautiful attractive garden.
- kARimARan … – To avoid any doubts/misgivings in the explained principles, AzhwAr is explaining the trustworthy nature of himself.
- vEri … – It is explained that periya pirAttiyAr will bestow the benefits for those who learn this decad. Since rain never stops in thirumalai, water never recedes in thirunagari. Since it is a perennial pond, honey never stops flowing in pirAtti‘s seat, that is the lotus flower. Why should pirAtti give the benefits for those who learned this decad? This decad explains the Seela guNam of emperumAn which facilitates him like the samsAri (bound soul) who was recommended by pirAtti; this Seela guNam is incomprehensible for anyone; only she can comprehend it and those who were divinely blessed with knowledge/devotion by emperumAn (like AzhwArs) can comprehend it; out of great mercy thinking “AzhwAr understood this quality and revealed it”, when emperumAn sets out to give the benefits, pirAtti pushes him aside and takes up such bestowing of the benefit as her responsibility saying “Only I should bestow the benefits”.
- vinai thIrkkumE – She will remove the hurdles for the bhagavath anubhavam of those who learned this decad. Also explains that – those who learn this decad can enter the private quarters of SrI mahAlakshmi.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org