SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says “Even for those who simply memorize and recite this decad, there is no birth in this samsAram (material relam) where one should be taught ‘we need not praise any one other than bhagavAn‘ [in parampadham (spiritual realm), one will naturally praise bhagavAn only]”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully explains that there is no birth [in this material realm] for those who can recite this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
ERkum perum pugazh vAnavar Isan kaNNan thanakku
ERkum perum pugazh vaN kurugUrch chatakOpan sol
ERkum perum pugazh AyiraththuL ivaiyum Or paththu
ERkum perum pugazh solla vallArkkillai sanmamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
ERkum – matching/apt (for parathvam (supremacy) and saulabhyam (easy approachability))
perum pugazh – being the one with great qualities
vAnavar Isan – with the supremacy to rule over the nithyasUris (eternal residents of paramapadham)
kaNNan thanakku – for krishNa (who appeared as sulabha (easily approachable))
ERkum – matching (among the ones who are great in praising bhagavAn)
perum pugazh – having great qualities such as gyAna (knowledge) etc
vaN kurugUrch chatakOpan – nammAzhwAr, the leader of beautiful AzhwArthirunagari
sol – mercifully spoken
ERkum – matching (to reveal the qualities etc of bhagavAn)
perum pugazh – having great characteristics
AyiraththuL – among the thousand pAsurams
ERkum – which matches one’s true nature (in eliminating praising of others and explaining the praising of bhagavAn)
perum pugazh – having great qualities
Or – unparalelled
ivai paththum – this decad
solla vallArkku – those who can recite
sanmam – birth (which causes praising of others)
illai – not there
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
krishNa (who appeared as sulabha who is being the one with matching/apt great qualities with the supremacy to rule over the nithyasUris; nammAzhwAr, the leader of beautiful AzhwArthirunagari, who is having matching great qualities such as gyAna (knowledge) etc (which are required to be counted among the ones praising bhagavAn) mercifully spoke thousand pAsurams which are having matching great characteristics (to reveal the qualities etc of bhagavAn); for those who can recite this unparalelled decad having great qualities which matches one’s true nature, among those thousand pAsurams, there is no birth (which causes praising of others).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- ERkum … – Being the one with great fame matching his nature. for emperumAn who is the leader of nithyasUris, who appeared with the same supremacy and manifested such supremacy in the human form [as krishNa]; in SrI bhagavath gIthA ninth chapter his supremacy while being in a human form is elaborately explained by himself.
- ERkum … – As emperumAn is aptly said as “ubhaya vibhUthi yukthan” (one who is together with both spiritual and material realms), when said as “sarvESvaran kavigaL ivar” (he is a poet of the supreme lord), he will be qualified to say so; mercifully spoken by such AzhwAr.
- ERkum perum pugazh Ayiram – This thousand pAsurams which is matching to have consumed bhagavAn whose qualities can not be even measured by vEdham as said in thaiththiriya upanishath “yathO vAchO nivarthanthE” (the words returned being unable to glorify bhagavAn fully and even the mind cannot comprehend him).
- ivaiyum Or paththu ERkum perum pugazh – This decad among the thousand pAsurams. Having matching great fame. That is – since this decad instructed “Do not praise others which is not matching for the true nature of the AthmA” and “Come and praise the apt lord matching the true nature of the AthmA”, it will bestow all glories which is explained so far.
- illai sanmamE – nithyasUris need not be trained by saying “Don’t praise others” [they are naturally inclined to praise bhagavAn only]; only due to birth in this material realm, one sets out to praise others. Such persons who recite this pAsurams will not be born in lowly births where one is to trained explicitly saying “Don’t praise others”.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org