SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the seventh pAsuram – when asked “Are you satisfied with having acquired everything?”, AzhwAr replies “due to the special attention/mercy given by emperumAn to me, even my relatives and their relatives became uplifted from this samsAram (material realm); after this, is there anything left for me to attain?”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
முடியாதது என் எனக்கேல் இனி? முழு ஏழ் உலகும் உண்டான் – உகந்து வந்து
அடியேன் உட்புகுந்தான் அகல்வானும் அல்லன் இனி
செடி ஆர் நோய்கள் எல்லாம் துரந்து எமர் கீழ் மேல் எழு பிறப்பும்
விடியா வெம் நரகத்து என்றும் சேர்தல் மாறினரே
mudiyAdhadhu en enakkEl ini muzhuvEzh ulagum uNdAn – ugandhu vandhu
adiyEn uL pugundhAn agalvAnum allan ini
sediyAr nOygaL ellAm thurandhu emar kIzh mEl ezhu piRappum
vidiyA ven naragaththu enRum sErdhal mARinarE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
muzhu Ezh ulagum – all worlds
uNdAn – (since he cannot exist without protecting them) one who consumed them [during praLayam]
ugandhu – (further, since he has the same attachment towards me) having great affection
adiyEn – considering my relationship as a servitor to him as the only reason
uL – inside
vandhu – arrived
pugundhAn – entered
ini – further
like those worlds,
agalvAnum – one who lets them go [during srushti]
allan – not
due to this,
kIzh – previous (ancestors)
mEl – subsequent (descendants)
ezhu piRappum – seven generations
emar – those who are related to me
sedi – like a dense bush
Ar – abundant
nOygaL ellAm – all diseases (such as avidhyA (ignorance), karma (virtues/vices), vAsanA (impressions) etc)
thurandhu – driving them away
vidiyA – no relief
vem – very hot
naragaththu – hell named samsAram (material realm – where we live now)
enRum – forever
sErdhal – reach, be present
mARinar – avoided
ini – thus, after emperumAn showing his partiality towards my whole clan and those who are related to that clan
enakkEl – for me
mudiyAdhadhu – impossible
en – is it there?
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn who consumed all worlds [during praLayam] (as he cannot exist without protecting them), (further, since he has the same attachment towards me) having great affection, arrived at me and entered into me considering my relationship as a servitor to him as the only reason and did not leave me unlike those worlds are let out by him [during srushti]; due to this reason, he would drive away the densely available abundant diseases (such as avidhyA (ignorance), karma (virtues/vices), vAsanA (impressions) etc) for those who are related to me in seven generations before me (ancestors) and after me (descendants); such relatives will ever avoid reaching this hot hell named samsAram (material realm) where there is no relief; thus, after emperumAn showed his partiality towards my whole clan and those who are related to that clan, is there anything impossible for me to do?
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- mudiyAdhadhu en enakkEl ini – is there anything impossible for me?
When asked “How are you saying this?”, AzhwAr says
- muzhu … – Whatever turmoil universe goes through when caught in the danger of praLayam (annihilation) until it enters his stomach, emperumAn goes through the same until he enters my heart. Even after this, is there anything impossible for me?
- adiyEn uL pugundhAn – he entered me seeing our relationship [as emperumAn the master – me the servant]
- uL pugundhAn – mixed like water mixing with water seamlessly; unlike the universe entering him without any real desire, he entered in me with great desire. In the example of bhagavAn and universe – bhagavAn needs to protect the universe and the universe needs to be protected by bhagavAn – so bhagavAn consumes the universe to protect it; but in the case of AzhwAr, bhagavAn has great desire towards AzhwAr and enters into AzhwAr (without Azhwar having same attachment towards bhagavAn).
- agalvAnum allan ini – For the universe, once the praLayam is over [and srushti begins], it will be spat out again; but for emperumAn there is no such restriction [he would be there in AzhwAr‘s heart permanently] – He will not even contemplate about separation to start with. He is not bound by karma like chEthanas (jIvAthmAs) who separate due to pApa (sins) and be together due to sukrutham (virtues).
- sedi Ar … – sedi – pApam – sins. Sorrows which are abundantly filled with sins. Eliminating densely abundant sins [here sedi is explained as dense like a bush]. Diseases/sufferings which arise from attachment to worldly pleasures, considering oneself as unworthy and separation from experiencing bhagavAn. Driving them away with their traces. Was it not explained already in thiruvAimozhi 2.6.4 “uLLa nOygaL ellAm thurandhu” (eliminating all diseases)? There, it was explained in the context of AzhwAr; now its explained in the context of his relatives and their relatives.
How did they drive out these diseases?
- emar – nothing else; just by being related to me, their diseases are driven away.
What type of relations?
- kIzh mEl ezhu piRappum – 21 generations. 7 generations including him – 3 generations before him, himself and 3 generations after him; 7 generations before that and 7 generations after that.
- vidiyA vennaragaththu – In the naraka lOkam of yama, when the (pApa/sinful) karma is exhausted, there is relief. But there is no relief in this material realm. In narakam (hell), the sufferings are obvious, but here the sufferings are not obvious [we get deceived to think that these actual sufferings are not so bad].
- enRum sErdhal mARinarE – forever they avoid reaching this material realm. Neither do I need to pray for that, nor does he need to specifically think about that. It is due to special affection (partiality) shown towards me that all those who are related to me also get benefited. So, nothing is impossible for me.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org