srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
AzhwAr says “Isvara who is the creator of even brahmA, rudhran, etc., removed my obstacles and entered my heart”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains “krishNa who is greater than all, who is eliminator of obstacles became contained with in my heart”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
okkalai vaiththu mulap pAl uN enRu thanthida vAngi
sekkam seka anRu avaL pAl uyir seka uNda perumAn
nakka pirAnOdu ayanum indhiranum mudhalAga
okkavum thORRiya Isan mAyan en nenjin uLAnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nakka pirAnOdu – one who wears AkAsam (space/ether) as clothes (i.e., nagna – being naked), who is popularly known as Isvara
ayanum – brahmA who is popularly known as aja (un-born) since he is not born from a woman’s uterus (he was directly born from bhagavAn out of bhagavAn‘s will/desire)
indhiranum – indhra who considers himself as the most wealthy entity
mudhalAgavum – and all such beings
okka – at once
thORRiya – created
Isanum – being the sarvEsvaran
okkalai vaiththu – (during krishNAvathAram) placing him in her lap (like mother yasOdhA does)
mulaip pAl uN enRu – (with loving intentions) saying drink my breast-milk
thanthida – (exclusively) gave
vAngi – (without any doubt) accepting it
sekkam – the thought of killing krishNa
seka – to be destroyed (within her, without any one else knowing)
anRu – that day (when she came to kill him)
avaL pAl – in her
uyir – vital-air
seka – to be finished
uNda – consumed (the milk she gave)
perumAn – sarvAdhika (who is greater than all and who retained himself who is the master of the universe)
mAyan – most amazing person
en – my
nenjin uLAn – became contained in my heart (which is a part in my body)
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
sarvEsvaran who is the creator of rudhra, brahmA, indhra and all beings, when appeared as krishNa, pUthanA (the she-demon) picked him up like mother yasOdhA would do and placed him on her hip. She then fed krishNa her [poisonous] breast-milk that was kept exclusively for him and emperumAn accepted it without any doubt. He consumed the vital-air of pUthanA while accepting the milk and destroyed her thought of killing krishNa along with her (without any one knowing about that). Such most amazing emperumAn entered my heart and became contained in there.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- okkalai vaiththu – Placing krishNa in her hip, just like the most loving yasOdhA does.
- mulaip pAl uN enRu – saying forcefully “I am having pain in my breasts since you have not consumed the milk. So, please drink now”.
- thanthida – to give – Like said by sugrIva on seeing vibhIshaNa with his assistants in srI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 17.5 “asmAn hanthum” (to kill us), AzhwAr for a moment feels that pUthanA is trying kill AzhwAr (by taking the life of krishNa). It also simply means, she gave.
- sekkam seka – 3 explanations:
- sekkam means death. The death she desired for krishNa, it occurred to her.
- sekkam means red – which indicates anger. The anger she had on krishNa that turned towards her. thirumangai AzhwAr too used red to indicate anger in periya thirumozhi 8.6.6 “ilangai senthI uNNach chivanthu“.
- sekkam also means lips. “sekkam seka” means “lips turning red”. Smiling with his lips showing gratitude towards pUthanA for her breast-feeding act.
- anRu – That day when she planned to destroy the universe [if krishNa is killed, the whole universe will cease to exist]; That day when pUthanA came to destroy krishNa in a secluded place.
- avaL pAl uyir – her vital-force that clings on to her deplorable body.
- seka – to destroy that.
- “avaL pAl uyir seka” is also explained as “Her milk, life (both) destroyed”. In periya thirumozhi, it is said “mulai Udu uyirai vAngi uNda vAyAn” (one who consumed the breast and her life) – here breast indicates breast-milk. “mulai uNdAn” (he ate the breast) means “mulaippAl uNdAn” (he ate the breast-milk).
- uNda perumAn – by consuming the breast-milk and destroying pUthanA, he (himself) gave the master for the universe.
- nakka pirAn … – rudhra who is popularly known to be favourable towards his devotees, his father chathurmuka brahmA (4 headed brahmA), indhra who is closer to us in proximity (in comparison to brahmA) and all those beings who are present in this side (material realm), etc., are consumed at once like easily destroying mosquitoes.
- mAyan – one who is capable of entering into the universe which was created by him.
- en nenjinil uLAnE – arrived into a (special) part (heart) of my body.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org