srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> First Centum >> Ninth decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
AzhwAr says “ISvara who is the creator of even brahmA, rudhran et al, removed my obstacles and entered my heart”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains “krishNa who is greater than all, who is eliminator of obstacles became contained within my heart”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
ஒக்கலை வைத்து முலைப் பால் உண் என்று தந்திட வாங்கிச்
செக்கம் செக அன்று அவள் பால் உயிர் செக உண்ட பெருமான்
நக்க பிரானோடு அயனும் இந்திரனும் முதலாக
ஒக்கவும் தோற்றிய ஈசன் மாயன் என் நெஞ்சின் உளானே
okkalai vaiththu mulap pAl uN enRu thandhida vAngi
sekkam sega anRu avaL pAl uyir sega uNda perumAn
nakka pirAnOdu ayanum indhiranum mudhalAga
okkavum thORRiya Isan mAyan en nenjin uLAnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nakka pirAnOdu – one who wears AkAsam (space/ether) as clothes (i.e., nagna – being naked), who is popularly known as Isvara
ayanum – brahmA who is popularly known as aja (unborn) since he is not born from a woman’s uterus (he was directly born from bhagavAn out of bhagavAn‘s will/desire)
indhiranum – indhra who considers himself as the most wealthy entity
mudhalAgavum – and all such beings
okka – at once
thORRiya – created
ISanum – being the sarvESvaran
okkalai vaiththu – (during krishNAvathAram) placing him on her hip (like mother yasOdhA does)
mulaip pAl uN enRu – (with loving intentions) saying drink my breast-milk
thandhida – (exclusively) gave
vAngi – (without any doubt) accepting it
sekkam – the thought of killing krishNa
sega – to be destroyed (within her, without anyone else knowing)
anRu – that day (when she came to kill him)
avaL pAl – in her
uyir – vital-air
sega – to be finished
uNda – consumed (the milk she gave)
perumAn – sarvAdhika (who is greater than all and who retained himself as the master of the universe)
mAyan – most amazing person
en – my
nenjin uLAn – became contained in my heart (which is a part in my body
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
sarvESvaran who is the creator of rudhra, brahmA, indhra and all beings, when appeared as krishNa, pUthanA (the demon) picked him up like mother yasOdhA would do and placed him on her hip. She then fed krishNa her [poisonous] breast-milk that was kept exclusively for him and emperumAn accepted it without any doubt. He consumed the vital-air of pUthanA while accepting the milk and destroyed her thought of killing krishNa along with her (without anyone knowing about that). Such most amazing emperumAn entered my heart and became contained in there.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- okkalai vaiththu – Placing krishNa on her hip, just like the most loving yasOdhA does.
- mulaip pAl uN enRu – saying forcefully “I am having pain in my breasts since you have not consumed the milk. So, please drink now”.
- thandhida – as she gave – This is similar to what was said by sugrIva on seeing vibhIshaNa with his assistants in srI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 17.5 “asmAn hanthum” (to kill us), AzhwAr for a moment feels that pUthanA is trying kill AzhwAr (by taking the life of krishNa). It also simply means, she gave.
- sekkam sega – 3 explanations:
- sekkam means death. The death she desired for krishNa, occurred to her.
- sekkam means red – which indicates anger. The anger she had on krishNa that turned towards her. thirumangai AzhwAr too used red to indicate anger in periya thirumozhi 8.6.6 “ilangai senthI uNNach chivandhu“.
- sekkam also means lips. “sekkam sega” means “lips turning red”. Smiling with his lips showing gratitude towards pUthanA for her act of nursing him.
- anRu – That day when she planned to destroy the universe [if krishNa is killed, the whole universe will cease to exist]. That day when pUthanA came to destroy krishNa in a secluded place.
- avaL pAl uyir – her vital-force that clings on to her deplorable body.
- sega – to destroy that.
- “avaL pAl uyir sega” is also explained as “Her milk, life (both) destroyed”. In periya thirumozhi, it is said “mulai Udu uyirai vAngi uNda vAyAn” (one who consumed the breast and her life) – here breast indicates breast-milk. “mulai uNdAn” (he ate the breast) means “mulaippAl uNdAn” (he ate the breast-milk).
- uNda perumAn – by consuming the breast-milk and destroying pUthanA, he (himself) gave the master for the universe.
- nakka pirAn … – rudhra who is popularly known to be favourable towards his devotees, his father chathurmuka brahmA (4 headed brahmA), indhra who is closer to us in proximity (in comparison with brahmA) and all those beings who are present in this side (material realm) etc., are consumed at once like easily destroyable mosquitoes.
- mAyan – one who is capable of entering into the universe which was created by him.
- en nenjinil uLAnE – arrived into a (special) part (heart) of my body.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org