SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In second pAsuram – AzhwAr says “they (these emperors) will even lose their queens to those who defeated them”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Second pAsuram. AzhwAr says “These kings will not only lose their kingdom, but their enemies will even grab their queens with whom they enjoyed while ruling over everyone and will thus be in a pathetic state”.
uymmin thiRai koNarndhenRulagaNdavar immaiyE
thammin suvai madavAraip piRar koLLath thAm vittu
vemmin oLi veyil kAnagam pOyk kumai thinbargaL
semmin mudith thirumAlai viraindhadi sErminO
thiRai – tribute
koNarndhu – bringing along
uymmin – survive
enRu – saying this (just words, not even action)
ulagu – world
ANdavar – who ruled over
immaiyE – in the same life
tham – their exclusive
in – dear
suvai – pleasure giving
madavArai – wives (who are totally dependent on them and cannot live without them)
piRar – others
koLLa – to grab
thAm – they themselves
vittu – abandon
(unable to stay in their kingdom)
vem – very hot
min oLi – (having a blinding effect for the one who saw ) such expansive brightness
veyil – sunshine
kAnagam – in forest
pOy – go
kumaithinbargaL – will be tortured (by other kings, there too);
sem min – unstoppably radiant
mudi – having crown
thirumAlai – divine husband of SrI mahAlakshmi
viraindhu – quickly with goodness
adi sErmin – surrender unto the divine feet
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Those kings who rule over the world saying [to regional kings and others] “you survive by bringing along the tribute”, in the same life, would abandon their exclusive, dear, pleasure giving wives to be grabbed by others; unable to stay in their kingdom, they would go into the forest where there is very hot sunshine, only to be tortured (by other kings, there too). Thus, you quickly with goodness, surrender unto the divine feet of the divine husband of SrImahAlakshmi, who is having unstoppably radiant crown.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- uymmin thiRai koNarndhu – Instead of taking over kingdoms of their enemies by battling in wars, these emperors would tell other kings “if you want to save yourself, bring all your wealth and surrender that to me” and take over others’ kingdom. These great rulers need not fight battles, but can win over others just by their warning message of asking for tribute.
- immaiyE – in the same life where they ruled over others like this
- tham in suvai madavAraip piRar koLLa – During his regime, such emperor would bring the women folks and wealth of other kingdoms and keep them; as he collected them, some one else would take over later; we have seen this when the town of narakAsura was destroyed [krishNa came and rescued all the women folks and eventually married them all too]; proof for this is dhraupathi’s insult in the great assembly, though pANdavas had performed rAjasUya yagya and were prideful before. To have their infinitely enjoyable women grabbed by their enemies.
- thAm vittu – To save their own life, they will themselves carry the luggage of their women-folks and leave them willingly [at the enemies’ place]. As said in “Apadhartham dhanam rakshEth …” (One should save wealth for emergency situations; even by spending such wealth, one should protect his wives; even at the cost of such wealth and wives, one should save oneself).
- vem min … – Thinking that “The enemy will torture me if I still remain in this place”, one would go to the forest which lacks water and human habitat. He will go to a forest where there is only mirage and hot sunshine. Alternative explanation – He will go to a forest where there is very hot sunshine.
- kumai thinbargaL – When one is wealthy, he will have assistants to finish any task; the current kings’ servants would say “we will go and destroy them wherever they are; give us the orders” and the kings too will order them to do that and fulfil their needs; so, even in such forests, they will not be spared.
- kumaithinbargaL – will be tortured. They started suffering with dog-bites first.
This being the case,
- sem min … – Quickly surrender unto the divine husband of SrI mahAlakshmi who is adorning reddish shining crown. He has the crown which signifies his ability to fulfil the desires of those who surrender unto him; right next to him, the one who makes him give [SrI mahAlakshmi] is also present; the loss [for the AthmA] is only due to not reaching there quickly.
- ai sErminO – Though he wants to give his crown to you, you seek out only his divine feet. You expect/accept what is apt for you.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org