SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the eighth pAsuram – emperumAn mercifully asks “is there a possibility of the separation you spoke about in the previous pAsuram?”. AzhwAr consoles himself hearing that and becomes pleased thinking “I have effortlessly attained in this life itself in a short time frame, the unsurpassed goal which cannot be attained in a very long period”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully explains how he attained this experience.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
Eighth pAsuram – When AzhwAr said “ennai nI kuRikkoLLE” (keep me in your heart – don’t leave me), emperumAn mercifully glances at AzhwAr. On receiving that merciful glance, all sufferings of AzhwAr are removed and he enjoys emperumAn.
குறிக்கொள் ஞானங்களால் எனை ஊழி செய் தவமும்
கிறிக்கொண்டு இப் பிறப்பே சில நாளில் எய்தினன் யான்
உறிக்கொண்ட வெண்ணெய் பால் ஒளித்து உண்ணும் அம்மான் பின்
நெறிக்கொண்ட நெஞ்சனாய்ப் பிறவித் துயர் கடிந்தே
kuRikkoL gyAnangaLAl enai Uzhi sey thavamum
kiRikkoNdu ip piRappE sila nALil eydhinan yAn
uRikkoNda veNNey pAl oLiththu uNNum ammAn pin
neRikkoNda nenjanAyp piRavith thuyar kadindhE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
uRi – in a pot (hung down from the ceiling in a rope to preserve milk, curd (yoghurt), butter etc)
koNda – preserved
veNNey – butter
pAl – milk
oLiththu – entered mischievously (without the knowledge of the owners)
uNNum – since he eats
ammAn – krishNa who is the master (since he accepted the service)
pin – subsequently
Being won over (by such acts),
neRi – path (which he took)
koNda – following
nenjanAy – having such heart
piRavith thuyar – difficulties caused by birth
kadindhu – discarding them through detachment
kuRikkoL – those which are pursued (through renunciation and control of senses)
gyAnangaLAl – many different types of gyAna yOgam (which vary in form as in vEdhana, dhyAna, upAasana and in the process such as sadhvidhyA, dhahara vidhyA etc)
As said in lagvathri smruthi “janmAnthara saharEshu” (After many many thousands of births) and bhagavath gIthA 7.19 “bahunAm janmanAm anthE” (after many many births),
enai Uzhi – in a long span of time
sey – performed
thavamum – the result of thapasyA (penance – bhakthi yOgam)
kiRikkoNdu – through good means (which is the mercy of bhagavAn)
ippiRappE – in this life itself
sila nALil – in a short span of time
yAn – me (who is not qualified for such experience)
eydhinan – attained
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
krishNa entered (the house) mischievously, eats the butter and milk which are preserved in the pots that are hanging in a rope in the ceiling. By accepting this service, he shows that he is the master. I, being won-over by his act of stealing butter etc., having a heart which follows him, have attained the goal effortlessly through good means (that is, the mercy of bhagavAn) in this life itself in a short span of time. This is otherwise attained by discarding difficulties which are caused by birth through detachment and pursuing gyAna yOgam (which vary in form as in vEdhana, dhyAna, upAasana and in the process such as sadhvidhyA, dhahara vidhyA etc), and after a very long time, as said in lagvathri smruthi “janmAnthara saharEshu” (After many many thousands of births) and bhagavath gIthA 7.19 “bahunAm janmanAm anthE” (after many many births) in a long span of time through the result of thapasyA (bhakthi yOgam).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kuRikkoL gyAnangaLAl – Special kind of knowledge (gyAna viSEsham – bhakthi) which is earned by practising ashtAnga yOgam (yama, niyama, Asana, prANAyAma, prathyAhAra, dhAraNa, dhyAna, samAdhi). Such knowledge/devotion is indicated by vEdhana, dhyAna, upAsana etc.
- enai Uzhi sey thavamum – The result of penance which is acquired through SravaNam (hearing), mananam (meditation), dhruvAnusmruthi (continuous thinking) which is done for many kalpams (kalpa – 1 day of brahmA which is many crores of years).
- kiRikkoNdu – Effortless means; that is, bhagavAn himself being the means. Does kiRi mean bhagavAn? He is explained in thiruviruththam 91 as “perungiRiyAn” (greatest means).
When asked “In how many births did you accomplish this?”
- sila nALil – in a very short span of time.
Nice, did you accomplish yourself?
- eydhinan – I got it (by the mercy of bhagavAn).
- yAn – I, who did not put any effort for this result.
- uRikkoNda …. – AzhwAr explains the result which is explained in “thavameydhinan” and the means which is explained in “kiRikkoNdu“.
- uRi … – One who won over the universe by manifesting the activity of stealing butter and milk which were preserved carefully in pots (hanging in the ceiling) and made people wonder “How did the butter disappear? Was it consumed by God without our knowledge?”.
- pin neRikkoNda nenjanAy – Having a heart which follows him as said in “yEna yEna dhAthA gachchathi, thEna thEna saha gachchathi” (wherever bhagavAn goes, jIvAthmA follows him in those ways). Alternatively, prapaththi (surrender) is explained in “pin neRi“. “pin neRi” means that which was explained later (that is, charama SlOkam which was spoken at the end of bhagavath gIthA) – so having a heart which is focused on charama SlOkam.
- piRavith thuyar kadindhE – While speaking about the result (in charama SlOkam), removal of hurdles is also explained – that is explained here (the eradication of birth in this material realm). Alternative explanation – “pin neRik koNda nenjanAy” – in the mahAbhAratha battle, emperumAn created a sorrowful situation and instructed the means to arjuna; but here, AzhwAr followed krishNa where he went to steal butter, locked the door (so krishNa cannot escape) and learned the meanings.
- piRaviththuyar kadindhE – bhagavAan explained in gIthA as “sarvapApEbhyO mOkshayishyAmi” (I will eradicate all your sins).
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org