srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Full series >> First Centum >> Seventh decad
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In tenth pAsuram – AzhwAr says “Even if I enjoy the communion of emperumAn with me forever, I will not be satisfied”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says that since enjoying such emperumAn forever will not give full satisfaction, he cannot leave him.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s introduction as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
அகலில் அகலும் அணுகில் அணுகும்
புகலும் அரியன் பொரு அல்லன் எம்மான்
நிகர் இல் அவன் புகழ் பாடி இளைப்பு இலம்
பகலும் இரவும் படிந்து குடைந்தே
agalil agalum aNugil aNugum
pugalum ariyan poru allan emmAn
nigar il avan pugazh pAdi iLaippilam
pagalum iravum padindhu kudaindhE
agalil – for those who leave him (after being fulfilled with ulterior benefits)
agalum – he also will be interested in leaving them (since there is nothing more to do)
aNugil – for those who pursue him (without any other benefit)
aNugum – he will mix with those (just like water mixes with water)
pugalum ariyan – (for those with ulterior motives) he is difficult to reach
poruvallan – (for those who want him alone) there are no obstacles to reach him
emmAn – (for such auspicious quality) being my master
nigaril avan – (for such quality) having none comparable to him
pugazh – his glories
pagalum iravum – day and night without break
padindhu – entered in me
kudaindhu – mixing everywhere
pAdi – singing (with love)
iLaippilam – never stops doing it (not taking rest at all)
For those who leave him, he will leave them too; For those who pursue him, he will mix with them freely. He is difficult to reach (for those with ulterior motives) and (at the same time) there are no obstacles to reach him (for those who are surrendered to him). Being my master (for such great qualities), having none comparable to him and having entered in me mixing everywhere freely, I will sing his glories day and night without any break and will never get tired of doing that.
poru is explained both as obstacle (no obstacles for devotees) and fitting (capable of fitting well with the devotees).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam as documented by vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai
- agalil agalum – As seen in srI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 18.34 “Anayainam harisrEshta dhaththamasyAbhayam mayA | vibhIshaNO vA sugrIva yadhi vA rAvaNassvayam ||” (Oh sugrIva, the best among monkeys! I give protection to vibhishaNa (who gave up his relatives); Whether it is vibhIshaNa or even rAvaNa, bring him in front of me) – when the AthmAs leave emperumAn, he would feel sorry for them and leave them too with teary eyes. As said in srI rAmAyaNam 36.11 “dhvidhA bhajyEyamapyEvam na namEyam” (even I am cut into two pieces, I will not worship him) – for those who say that to bhagavAn, without any choice, he will destroy them too.
- aNugil aNugum – As seen in srI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 19.6 “AkyAhi mama thathvEna rAkshaAnAm balAbalam” (srI rAma requested vibishaNa to explain the strengths and weaknesses of rAkshasa army), only when one takes a few steps towards emperumAn, he starts discussing even most confidential matters with him. Here, srI rAma considered vibhIshaNa as a descendant of ikshvAku vamsam instead of a rAkshasa (just for him turning towards emperumAn). In this decad, the first pAsuram explains the meaning of “agalil agalum” and the second pAsuram explains the meaning of “aNugil aNugum“.
- pugalum ariyan – When both arjuna and dhuryOdhana approached him (before the battle), he gave himself to arjuna and pangaLam (heap of chaff which remains after beating paddy – worthless aspects – his army) to dhuryOdhana. So, for those who don’t enjoy him, he would be difficult to acquire.
- poruvallan – When devotees approach him, there are no obstacles. As seen in mahAbhAratham udhyOga parvam 49 “yathra krushNau cha krushNA cha sathyabhAmA cha bhAminI …” (where krishNa, arjuna, dhraupathi and the beautiful sathyabhAmA are (intimately) present, where even abhimanyu or nakula/sahAdhEva have not even gone – sanjaya (after seeing it) says to dhrudhrAshtra), kaNNan emperumAn showed that divine vision (without any obstacles) to sanjaya (who is a pure-hearted devotee) which cannot be seen by one’s own sons.
- emmAn – by showing these qualities, he transformed me to be totally existing for him only.
- nigaril avan pugazh pAdi iLaippilam – I have no reason to take a break from glorifying his incomparable auspicious qualities.
Is there any limit in when you would do that?
- pagalum iravum – day and night – always
Is it because you are enjoying him partially?
- padindhu kudaindhE – enjoy him in all manners deeply – still I am unable to stop enjoying him.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org