SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
When asked “Is that all? Have you done anything more?” AzhwAr says “Yes. There is a lot more”.
vambulAm kUndhal manaiviyaith thuRandhu
piRar poruL thAram enRivaRRai
nambinAr iRandhAl naman thamar paRRi
eRRi vaiththu eri ezhuginRa
sembinAl iyanRa pAvaiyaip
pAvI! thazhuvena mozhivadhaRku anji
nambanE! vandhu un thiruvadi adaindhEn
naimisAraNiyaththuL endhAy – Oh my lord who is residing in SrI naimiSAraNyam!
nambanE – Oh trustworthy one!
vambu ulAm – fragrant
kUndhal – having hair
manaiviyai – (one’s) wife
thuRandhu – abandoned
piRar poruL – others’ wealth
piRar dhAram – others’ wives
enRu ivaRRai – these
nambinAr – those who desired
iRandhAl – when they die
naman thamar – servitors of yama
paRRi – catch them
eRRi – torture them
vaiththu – keeping them in a place
sembinAl – with copper
iyanRa – made
eri ezhuginRa – very hot with fiery sparks
pAvaiyai – a woman’s statue (placing in front)
pAvI! – Oh sinner!
thazhuvu – embrace (this)
ena mozhivadhaRku – for the words [which they will] speak
anji – fearing that
un thiruvadi vandhu adaindhEn – came and surrendered at your divine feet.
Oh my lord who is residing in SrI naimiSAraNyam! Oh trustworthy one! Some desire others’ wealth and wives, abandoning their own wives who have fragrant hair. When such persons die, the servitors of yama will catch them, torture them, keep them in a place and showing a woman’s statue, which is made of copper and is very hot with fiery sparks, tell them “Oh sinner! Embrace this”. Fearing that, I came and surrendered at your divine feet.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- vambu … – vambulAm kUndhal – Wife who has ever-beautiful hair or very fragrant hair. [Due to desire for other women] One will abandon the wife whom he accepted in front of the sacred fire. Such persons will desire for worldly pleasures; in such matters, one will not bother for one’s own beautiful wife. One will desire for others’ wives only. When such persons who desire for others’ wives and wealth, die.
- naman … – sarvESvaran has given as much powers as himself to yama to analyse neutrally and punish others; yama would send his servitors who are as powerful as him; a thousand such persons will come and grab each of such sinners; then they will torture the body of such sinner; after becoming tired, they will leave him for sometime; they will then say “Will this person be able to remain without women for such a long time! Bring her here!” He would then think “Though they have tortured us so far, now they are bringing the woman dear to me! Let me see!” and eagerly look in that direction;
- eri … – They will bring a statue which is made of copper and is emitting fiery sparks and say “Oh sinner! Embrace it!” They will say “At least when such women drove you out, had you atoned for your acts and surrendered at the divine abodes of emperumAn, we would have been saved from such tiring act of punishing you”.
- mozhivadhaRku anji – We can even tolerate their torture but cannot tolerate their cruel words.
- nambanE vandhu un thiruvadi adaindhEn – Since you, who are a refuge for even those who roam around doing whatever they like, have presented yourself, I have surrendered unto your divine feet.
- naimisAraNiyaththuL endhAy – You thought “he (AzhwAr) becomes attached to the aspects which are visible to eyes; similarly, if I make myself visible to him, he will become attached to me” and presented yourself to be seen by me. While there are rules forbidding inapt aspects, one engages with them since they are visible to eyes; you presented yourself to be seen by me thinking “If I, who am apt and am ordained in SAsthram, present myself, will he not like me?”
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org