SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says “those who learn this decad, will attain eternal service and be liked by nithyasUris (eternally free souls of paramapadham)”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kUdi vaNdaRaiyum thaNdAr koNdalpOl vaNNan thannai
mAdalar pozhil kurugUr vaN SatakOpan sonna
pAdal Or AyiraththuL ivaiyum oru paththum vallAr
vIdila bOgam eydhi virumbuvar amarar moyththE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vaNdu – bumble bees
kUdi – grouped
aRaiyum – buzzing (due to the joy of drinking honey)
thaN – cool
thAr – wearing divine garland
koNdal pOl – like a black cloud
vaNNan thannai – being the one with such complexion
mAdu – on all sides
alar – blossomed
pozhil – having gardens
kurugUr – leader of AzhwArthirunagari
vaN SatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sonna – mercifully spoke
pAdal – with music
Or – distinguished
AyiraththuL – in the thousand pAsurams
oru – distinguished
ivaiyum paththum – this decad also (which explained bhagavAn having all worlds as his wealth like having distinguished form)
vallAr – those who can practice
vIdila – uninterrupted
bOgam – experience of bhagavAn
eydhi – attain
amarar – nithyasUris
moyththu – surround
virumbuvar – be desired
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
nammAzhwAr, the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which is having gardens that are filled on all sides with blossomed flowers, mercifully spoke with music in this distinguished decad (which explained bhagavAn having all worlds as his wealth like having distinguished form) in the distinguished thousand pAsurams about emperumAn who is the one with black cloud like complexion and wearing cool divine garland that has groups of bumble bees buzzing (due to the joy of drinking honey); those who can practice this decad [which has such greatness] will attain uninterrupted experience of bhagavAn and will be surrounded and desired by nithyasUris.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kUdi vaNdaRaiyum … – Here AzhwAr is explaining the matching beauty of emperumAn‘s shoulders and the garland which decorates them, similar to his wealth which was explained in detail previously. AzhwAr praised sarvESvaran who is having a pleasant cloud like form and a pleasant garland which is entered by bumble bees as a group like it is done while stepping into a flowing river [when entering a flowing river, usually people would enter as a group to secure each other] and which are buzzing after drinking the honey.
- mAdalar … – Mercifully sung by the most magnanimous nammAzhwAr who is the leader of AzhwArthirunagari which has well blossomed [flower bearing] gardens.
- pAdal Or Ayiram … – Those who can practice this thousand pAsurams with music which resembles a flower which blossoms with fragrance.
- vIdila bOgam eydhi – attaining the blissful liberation where there is no question of break.
- virumbuvar amarar moyththE – Will be greatly desired by nithyasUris. [Why would nithyasUris desire for those who practice these pAsurams?] Since nithyasUris consider the material realm as owned by bhagavAn and since they lovingly and greatly admire AzhwAr thinking “whatever we enjoy being in this spiritual realm [which is favourable for bhagavath vishayam], AzhwAr being in material realm [which is unfavourable for bhagavath vishayam], having acquired this pristine knowledge and enjoying the same experience”, they would approach and greatly enjoy those who recite such AzhwAr’s prabandhams even at the expense of not enjoying sarvESvaran [This is in context of nithyasUris desiring those who practice these pAsurams even in this material realm].
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr explained briefly in this pAsuram, the principle that was explained in detail in this decad.
- In the second pAsuram, he spoke about the effect/result of [pancha] bhUthams (5 great elements) in order.
- In the third pAsuram, he enjoyed emperumAn being the sustainer of entire universe and his distinguished form together.
- In the fourth pAsuram, he said “emperumAn is the owner of radiant precious gems such as ruby etc”.
- In the fifth pAsuram, he mercifully spoke about emperumAn having tasteful objects as wealth.
- In the sixth pAsuram, he said “emperumAn is the owner of varieties of sounds in the form of prose and music/tune such as vEdham”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, he said “emperumAn is the owner of purushArthams (goals) such as aiSwarya (worldly wealth) etc”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, he said “emperumAn is the owner of primary entities of the material realm such as brahmA, rudhra et al”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, he briefly spoke about emperumAn having chEthana and achEthana as wealth, since his vast wealth cannot be spoken about individually.
- In the tenth pAsuram, he said “though he pervades all of these [chEthana and achEthana], he is unaffected by their defects”.
- In the end, he explains the result for those who learned this decad and concludes the same.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org