srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nampiLLai‘s introduction.
Fourth pAsuram – AzhwAr says that He is supreme; He is capable of performing impossible tasks; Such emperumAn became seated in my hip like he was seated on mother yasOdhA’s hip and he considered that as his fortune.
udan amar kAthal magaLir thirumagaL maNmagaL Ayar madamagaL
enRu ivar mUvar ALum ulagamum mUnRE
udan avai okka vizhungi Alilaich chErnthavan en ammAn
kadal mali mAyap perumAn kaNNan en okkalaiyAnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
udan – being together
amar – having
kAthal – love
magaLir – his consorts
thirumagaL – lakshmi (who has amazing rich form)
maNmagaL – bhUmi dhEvi (who is embodiment of forbearance)
Ayar mada magaL – (most-suitable) nappinnai who is having great family heritage and great qualities
enRu – being the main and well known
ivar – these divine consorts
mUvar – three
ALum – ruling over (protecting)
ulagamum – universe/world
mUnRE – three layers – 1) from pAthALa lOka to svarga lOkam, 2) mahar lOkam, 3) jana lOkam, thapa lOkam, sathya lOkam
avai – (during praLayam/annihilation) – those
udan – without any distinction
okka – evenly
vizhungi – consumed
Alilai – in banyan leaf
sErnthavan – lying down
emmAn – (by doing this) being my lord and master
kadal – in kshIrArNavam (milk ocean)
mali – having the glories of resting
mAyam – with amazing qualities/activities
perumAn – one with naturally unlimited qualities
kaNNan – krishNa
en okkalaiyAn – (like on yasOdhA) sat on my hip
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
bhagavAn krishNa who is seated with his three well-known, primary and divine/lovable consorts srI mahAlakshmi, srI bhUmi dhEvi and srI neeLA dhEvi (nappinnai) rules over the three worlds. He consumed those three worlds evenly during (total) annihilation without any distinction and lied down in the banyan leaf and thus won over me and became my master. Such kaNNan emperumAn who is having the glories of resting in kshIrArNavam (milk ocean) with naturally unlimited qualities sat on my hip (like he sat on mother yasOdhA’s hip).
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- udan amara kAthal magaLir – divine consorts who have great love to be always with bhagavAn. They always feel as stated in thiruvAimozhi 6.10.10 “agalagillEn iRaiyum” (I will not leave even for a moment).
Who are they?
- thirumagaL – periya pirAttiyAr (srI mahAlakshmi) – the principal consort of sarvEsvaran, the empress and the one who is as stated in srI rAmAyaNam yudhdha kANdam 116.45 “na kaschinnAparAdhaythi” (there is no one who does not commit mistakes).
- maNmagaL – srI bhUmi pirAttiyAr (bhUdhEvi) – the one who teaches emperumAn “should you even see the mistakes?” and the one who is the origin of forbearance.
- Ayar madamagaL – nappinnai pirAttiyAr (neeLA dhEvi) – the one who keeps emperumAn engaged by her beauty, etc., and hides the mistakes of others.
- Another explanation – thirumagaL is his wealth; maNmagaL is the place where it (the wealth) grows; Ayar madamagaL – the one who enjoys that wealth.
- ivar mUvar – Individuals who are separately available to establish bhagavAn‘s supremacy and to be the purushakAram (mediator).
- ALum ulagamum mUnRE – lOkam could indicate the residents of the lOkam and three indicates the three types of chEthana (jIvAmthmAs) [viz nithya – eternally free souls, muktha – liberated souls, badhdha – bound souls]. It could also mean the top, middle and the bottom layer of a single universe.
- udan avai okka vizhungi – Without missing anything, consuming them all at once and protecting them inside his stomach. Since paramapadham is eternal, this only applies to the bound souls in the material realm.
- Alilaich chErnthavan – After consuming everything and having them in his stomach, he rested on a banyan leaf. This means he has agaditha gatanA sAmarthyam (achieving the impossible) [i.e., consuming everything which is huge and then lying down in a banyan leaf which is so small].
- emmAn – by such act, he won over me. He acquired me through pathrAlambanam (double-meaning – by climbing on a leaf, by writing in a document to be my master). This act of accepting is even more impossible in comparison to the act of lying down in a banyan leaf since I was completely staying away from emperumAn. He transformed me to be totally existing for him only.
- kadal mali mAyap perumAn – Descending into the kshIrAbdhi (milk ocean) and resting there without any defects and having amazing qualities/activities. Also explained as one who is having more amazing aspects than an ocean.
- kaNNan – manifesting all those aspects in this form of krishNa
- en okkalaiyAnE – He sat on my hip Just like he sat on mother yasOdhA’s hip.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org