srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “He held my thoughts as his own”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Seventh pAsuram – AzhwAr says “Not only he established my subservience towards him, he manifested towards me the same attachment he has towards nithya vibhUthi (paramapadham – spiritual realm)”.
கொண்டான் ஏழ் விடை உண்டான் ஏழ் வையம்
தண் தாமம் செய்து என் எண் தான் ஆனானே
koNdAn Ezh vidai uNdAn Ezh vaiyam
thaN thAmam seydhu en eN thAn AnAnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Ezh vidai – seven bulls (which were hurdles which stop from achieving the goal of marrying nappinnai)
koNdAn – one who took their vital air, i.e., killed them
Ezh vaiyam – all the worlds
uNdAn – one who protected them by keeping them in his stomach
thaN – that which eliminates the heat of samsAram (material realm)
thAmam – attachment towards paramapadham
seydhu – showed (towards me)
en – my
eN – ambition/desire
thAn – he
AnAn – started desiring
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn killed the seven bulls (which were stopping him from marrying nappinnai) and protected all the worlds by consuming them. Such emperumAn showed towards me the desire that he shows towards paramapadham, which is also what I desire for.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- koNdAn Ezh vidai – krishNa killed the seven bulls which were stopping him from being united with nappinnaip pirAtti (sathyA, the daughter of kumba who is the brother of yasOdhA).
- uNdAn Ezh vaiyam – Just as he could not bear the worlds tormenting during deluge and so consumed them to protect them, he united with me as if he could not bear the separation from me .
- thaN thAmam seydhu – paramapadham is a place which has a pleasing coolness. Whatever attachment he has towards paramapadham, he manifested the same towards me. Also explained as, AzhwAr saying “though I am in this samsAram (material realm), he treated me as a resident of paramapadham”.
- en eN thAn AnAnE – two explanations:
- He fulfilled my goal as I desired.
- He assumed my desires as his own. In other words, just like AzhwAr wants to enjoy emperumAn in paramapadham as he says in thiruvAimozhi 9.3.7 “mAga vaikundham kANbadhaRku en manam EkameNNum” (my heart constantly desires to see paramapadham), thiruviruththam 47 “kaNNan viNNUr thozhavE sariginRadhu sangam” (due to my longing to see emperumAn‘s paramapadham, I am becoming weak and my bangles are falling off as I become leaner), emperumAn too desires “Let us go to AzhwArthirunagari and enjoy AzhwAr there”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org