srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “He held my thoughts as his own”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Seventh pAsuram – AzhwAr says “Not only he established my subservience towards him, he manifested towards me the same attachment he has towards nithya vibhUthi (paramapadham – spiritual realm)”.
koNdAn Ezh vidai uNdAn Ezh vaiyam
thaN thAmam seythu en eN thAn AnAnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Ezh vidai – seven bulls (that were hurdles that stop from achieving the goal of marrying nappinnai)
koNdAn – took (their vital air), i.e., killed them
Ezh vaiyam – all worlds
uNdAn – protected them by keeping them in his stomach
thaN – that which eliminates the heat of samsAram (material realm)
thAmam – attachment towards paramapadham
seythu – showed (towards me)
en – my
eN – ambition/desire
thAn – him
AnAn – started desiring
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn killed the seven bulls (which were stopping him from marrying nappinnai) and protected all the worlds by consuming them. Such emperumAn showed towards me the desire that he shows towards paramapadham, which is also what I desire for.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- koNdAn Ezh vidai – krishNa killed the seven bulls which were stopping him from being united with nappinnaip pirAtti (sathyA, the daughter of kumba who is the brother of yasOdhA).
- uNdAn Ezh vaiyam – Just like he cannot bear the worlds tormenting during annihilation and so consumed them to protect them, he cannot bear the separation from me, so he united with me.
- thaN thAmam seythu – paramapadham is a place which has a pleasing coolness. Whatever attachment he has over paramapadham, he manifested the same towards me. Also explained as, AzhwAr saying “though I am in this samsAram (material realm), he treated me as a resident of paramapadham”.
- en eN thAn AnAnE – two explanations:
- He fulfilled my goal as I desired.
- He assumed my desires as his own. i.e., Just like AzhwAr wants to enjoy emperumAn in paramapadham as he says in thiruvAimozhi 9.3.7 “mAga vaikuntham kANpathaRku en manam EkameNNum” (my heart constantly desires to see paramapadham), thiruviruththam 47 “kaNNan viNNUr thozhavE sariginRathu sangam” (due to my longing to see emperumAn‘s paramapadham, I am becoming weak and my bangles are falling off as I become leaner), emperumAn too desires “Let us go to AzhwArthirunagari and enjoy AzhwAr there”.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org