srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In sixth pAsuram – Since emperumAn did not fulfil his desire immediately, AzhwAr meditates on emperumAn‘s enjoyable nature and his divine names in order to get his desire fulfilled and becomes heart-broken.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Similar to nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
Similar to nanjIyar‘s introduction.
வினையேன் வினை தீர் மருந்து அனைய விண்ணோர் தலைவா கேசவ
மனை சேர் ஆயர் குல முதலே மாமாயனே மாதவா
சினையேய் தழைய மராமரங்கள் ஏழும் எய்தாய். சிரீதரா.
இணையாய் இணைய பெயரினாய் என்று நைவன் அடியேன்
vinaiyEn vinai thIr marundhu AnAy viNNOr thalaivA kEsavA
manai sEr Ayar kula mudhalE mAmAyanE mAdhavA
sinaiyEy thazaiya marAmarangaL Ezhum eydhA sirIdharA
inaiyAy inaiya peyarinAy enRu naivan adiyEnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vinaiyEn – most qualified to be called as “most sinful”
vinai – for the sins (which make me shy away from emperumAn though having great love towards him, seeing my lowly nature)
thIr – that will rid
marundhu AnAy – being the medicine (that is in the form of simplicity/auspicious qualities)
viNNOr – sUris – the residents of paramapadham (where there are no such obstacles to enjoy you)
thalaivA – Oh controller/leader!
kEsavA – Oh one who is having the name kEsava (which means – not only is he the leader of the residents of parampadham, he is also the leader of brahmA, rudhra et al who seek him for worldly benefits – for he is the one who sustains them)
manai sEr – land which is attached to
Ayar – cowherd
kula – for the clan
mudhalE – Oh the primary one!
mAmAyanE – having amazing activities (stealing butter etc)
mAdhavA – Having the name mAdhava! (as said in popular pramANam “Esha nArAyaNa SrImAn” (nArAyaNan who is the husband of srI mahAlakshmi) which is the cause for the amazing activities)
sinai – with branches
Ey – joined
thazhaiya – having well-sprouted leaves as well
marAmarangaL Ezhum – 7 peepal trees
eydhAy – Oh one who shot
siridharA – Oh one who is having the name SrIdhara (after attaining vIraSrI-bravery due to shooting down those trees)
inaiyAy – Oh one having such qualities!
inaiya peyarinAy enRu – Oh one who is having such auspicious names!
adiyEn – I who have (unconditional/eternal) relationship (with you)
naivan – becoming emaciated
From this pAsuram, many aspects of emperumAn such as removal of hurdles for the experience with him, being in the ultimate destination of enjoyment (paramapadham), being the sustainer of the devotees, showing simplicity etc towards devotees, blossoming of such qualities, relationship with srI mahAlakshmi which is the cause for such aspects, instilling of faith in his devotees, the glowing radiance of him due to such aspects are understood.
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
I have become emaciated after having said “Oh the one who is the medicine for my sins which stop you from accepting my kainkaryam! Oh the controller of the residents of parampadham (spiritual realm)! Oh the lord of brahmA, rudhra et al ! Oh the primary one of the cowherd clan! Oh the one who has amazing activities due to the eternal relationship with SrI mahAlakshmi! Oh the one who shot down the well-grown seven peepal trees (and achieved valour due to that)! Oh the one having such qualities! Oh the one who is having such auspicious names!”
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vinaiyEn … – Don’t you see your stature (of being great/magnanimous) and my stature (of being meek/sinful) [if you do, you will surely help me].
- vinaiyEn vinai – AzhwAr‘s sins are unlike other chEthanas‘ sins. Other chEthanas like to have union with bhagavAn, but AzhwAr wants separation now.
- thIr marundhAnAy – You are the medicine that will remedy my thought of “my approaching bhagavAn will cause disrepute to him”.
From where did the quality of being the medicine come?
- viNNOr thalaivA – Because, though he is the leader of nithyasUris and eternally enjoying in paramapadham and he is facilitating himself such that, those who think and shy away from seeing his greatness, would also be attracted towards him.
- kEsavA – descending to vyUha state from parampadham and being the master of brahmA, rudhra et al as highlighted in SrIvishNu purANam 5.3.14 “ka ithi brahmaNO nAma IsOham sarvadhEhinAm | AvAm thavAngE sambhUthau thasmAth kEsavanAmavAn ||” (ka indicates brahmA; I am (rudhra) the lord of all entities (in the material world); both of us appeared from your body as a part; thus you have the name kEsava which means that ka and Isa were born from you – as said by siva towards srIman nArAyaNan).
- manisEr Ayar kula mudhalE – descending from vyUha state to vibhavan (avathAram – here krishNAvathAram) and coming close to us. manai generally means land/house. Three explanations given:
- Since it is explained to have five lakh families in nandhagOpAla’s town, the houses are laid touching each other. Being the leader of such clan.
- Arriving at the houses of the cowherds and being the leader of their clan.
- Bringing along some bamboo sticks always and joining them to make a hut wherever they go. Being the leader of such clan.
- mAmAyanE – one who performs amazing activities – being born in the cowherd clan, having that which is prepared by them (butter) to sustain himself, even that – consuming the stolen butter, still being dissatisfied – gets caught with the butter red-handed and gets punished for the same.
What is the cause for this simplicity of emperumAn?
- mAdhavA – Oh the who is eternally together with SrI mahAlkshmi (the cause for emperumAn‘s simplicity)!
- sinai Ey … – the act that was performed by srI rAma to bring confidence of his valour in the mind of sugrIva mahArAja; The seven peepal trees where filled with branches having abundance of leaves which make it difficult to take an aim and shoot them down in one shot. From this it can be understood that when a devotee doubts emperumAn‘s abilities, emperumAn will go to the extent of clearing the doubts of the devotee and protecting the devotee.
- sirIdharA – Hailing the vIra lakshmi (the wealth of valour) that was visible even as srI rAma was taking aim at the trees.
- inaiyAy – [inaiyAy means describing someone based on one’s qualities] Oh the one who is having such qualities and activities!
- inaiya peyarinAy – Oh the one who is having suitable names for such qualities and activities!
- enRu naivan – I am becoming emaciated thinking as mentioned here.
- adiyEnE – Whose wealth is getting lost? AzhwAr is saying that he is bhagavAn‘s wealth and bhagavAn should ensure that he does not lose it.
- Am I looking/suffering as an independent entity? [No – I am fully dependent on you]
- Am I becoming weak due to dependence on some one else? [No – I am fully dependent on you]
- Am I suffering since you are unable to protect me? [No – You have all the ability to protect me]
- Am I suffering since I can protect myself? [No – I have no ability to protect myself. You have to protect me]
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org