srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Similar to nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
Similar to nanjIyar‘s introduction.
vinaiyEn vinai thIr marunthu AnAy viNNOr thalaivA kEsavA
manai sEr Ayar kula muthalE mAmAyanE mAdhavA
sinaiyEy thazaiya marAmarangaL Ezhum eythA sirIdharA
inaiyA inaiya peyarinAy enRu naivan adiyEnE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vinaiyEn – most qualified to be called as “most sinful”
vinai – for the sins (that make me shy away from emperumAn though having great love towards him seeing the lowly nature of self)
thIr – that will rid
marunthu AnAy – being the medicine (that is in the form of simplicity/auspicious qualities)
viNNOr – sUris – the residents of paramapadham (where there are no such obstacles to enjoy you)
thalivA – Oh controller/leader!
kEsavA – Oh the one who is having the name kEsava (which means – not only he is the leader of the residents of parampadham, he is also the leader of brahmA, rudhra, etc., who seek out for wordly benefits – for he is the one who sustains them)
manai sEr – land which is attached to
Ayar – cowherd
kula – for the clan
muthalE – Oh the primary one!
mAmAyanE – having fantastic activities (butter-theft, etc)
mAdhavA – Having the name mAdhava! (as said in popular pramANam “Esha nArAyaNa srImAn” (nArAyaNan who is the husband of srI mahAlakshmi) which is the cause for the fantastic activities)
sinai – with branches
Ey – joined
thazhaiya – having well-sprouted leaves as well
marAmarangaL Ezhum – 7 peepal trees
eythAy – shot
siridharA – Oh the one who is having the name srIdhara (after attaining vIrasrI-bravery due to shooting down those trees)
inaiyAy – Oh the one having such qualities!
inaiya peyarinAy enRu – being said “Oh the one who is having such auspicious names!”
adiyEn – I who have (unconditional/eternal) relationship (with you)
naivan – becoming depleted
From this pAsuram, many aspects of emperumAn such as removal of hurdles for the experience with him, being in the ultimate destination of enjoyment (paramapadham), being the sustainer of the devotees, showing simplicity, etc., towards devotees, blossoming of such qualities, relationship with srI mahAlakshmi which is the cause for such aspects, instilling of faith in his devotees, the glowing radiance of him due to such aspects are understood.
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
I have become depleted after having said “Oh the one who is the medicine for my sins that stop you from accepting my kainkaryam! Oh the controller of the residents of parampadham (spiritual realm)! Oh the lord of brahmA, rudhra, etc. ! Oh the primary one of the cowherd clan! Oh the one who has fantastic activities due to the eternal relationship with srI mahAlakshmi! Oh the one who shot down the well-grown 7 peepal trees (and achieved valour due to that)! Oh the one having such qualities! Oh the one who is having such auspicious names!”.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- vinaiyEn … – Don’t you see the stature of you (of being great/magnanimous) and stature of me (of being meek/sinful) [if you do, you will surely help me].
- vinaiyEn vinai – AzhwAr‘s sins are unlike other chEthanas‘ sins. They like to have union with bhagavAn, but AzhwAr wants separation now.
- thIr marunthAnAy – You are the medicine that will remedy my thought of “me approaching bhagavAn will cause disrepute to him”.
In him, where did the quality of being the medicine comes from?
- viNNOr thalaivA – Because, though he is the leader of nithyasUris and eternally enjoying in paramapadham, he is facilitating himself that, those who think and shy away from seeing his greatness, would also be attracted towards him.
- kEsavA – descending to vyUha state from parampadham and being the master of brahmA, rudhra, etc., as highlighted in srIvishNu purANam 5.3.14 “ka ithi brahmaNO nAma IsOham sarvadhEhinAm | AvAm thavAngE sambhUthau thasmAth kEsavanAmavAn ||” (ka indicates brahmA; I am (rudhra) the lord of all entities (in the material world); Both of us appeared from your body as a part; Thus you have the name kEsava which means ka and Isa were born from you – as said by siva towards srIman nArAyaNan).
- manisEr Ayar kula muthalE – descending from vyUha state to vibhavan (avathAram – here krishNAvathAram) and coming close to us. manai generally means land/house. 3 explanations given:
- Since it is explained to have 5 lakh families in the nandhagOpAla’s town, the houses are laid touching one another. Being the leader of such clan.
- Arriving at the houses of the cowherds and being the leader of their clan.
- Bringing along some bamboo sticks always and joining them to make a hut wherever they go. Being the leader of such clan.
- mAmAyanE – one who performs greatly fantastic activities – being born in the cowherd clan, having that which is prepared by them (butter) to sustain himself, even that – consuming the stolen butter, still being unsatisfied – gets caught with the butter red-handed and getting punished for the same.
What is the cause for this simplicity of emperumAn?
- mAdhavA – Oh the who is eternally together with srI mahAlkshmi (which is the cause for emperumAn‘s simplicity)!
- sinai Ey … – the act that was performed by srI rAma to bring confidence of his valour in the mind of sugrIva mahArAja; The seven peepal trees where filled with branches having abundance of leaves which makes it difficult to take an aim and shoot them down in one shot. From this it can be understood that when a devotee doubts emperumAn‘s abilities, emperumAn will go to the extent of clearing the doubts of the devotee and protect the devotee.
- sirIdharA – Hailing the vIra lakshmi (the wealth of valour) that was visible srI rAma was taking aim at the trees.
- inaiyAy – [inaiyAy means explaining some one based on ones qualities] Oh the one who is having such qualities and activities!
- inaiya peyarinAy – Oh the one who is having suitable names for such qualities and activities!
- enRu naivan – I am becoming depleted thinking as mentioned here.
- adiyEnE – Whose wealth is getting lost? AzhwAr is saying that he is bhagavAn‘s wealth and he should ensure that he does not lose it.
- Am I looking/suffering as an independent entity? [No – I am fully dependent on you]
- Am I depleting due to dependence on some one else? [No – I am fully dependent on you]
- Am I suffering since you are unable to protect me? [No – You have all the ability to protect me]
- Am I suffering since I can protect myself? [No – I have no ability to protect myself. You have to protect me]
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org