SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
No specific introduction.
pILai sOrak kaN idungip piththezha mUththirumi
thALgaL nOvath thammil muttith thaLLi nadavAmun
kALaiyAgik kanRu mEyththuk kunReduththu anRu ninRAn
vALai pAyum thaN thadam sUzh vadhari vaNangudhumE
kaN idungi – eyes shrinking
pILai – dirt in the eyes
sOra – to come out
piththu – bile
ezha – to rise
mUththu – having attained old-age
irumi – cough
thALgaL – feet
thammil mutti – hitting each other
nOva – to cause pain
thaLLi – stumble
nadavAmun – before walking
kALaiyAgi – being a youth
kanRu mEyththu – tending the calves
anRu – that day (when indhra showered hail storm)
kunRu – gOvardhana hill
eduththu – lifted as umbrella
ninRAn – stood holding it (for seven days) – his
vALai – fish
pAyum – jumping around
thaN – cool
thadam – ponds
sUzh – surrounded
vadhari – SrI badhari
vaNangudhum – let us worship
SrI badhari is surrounded by cool ponds where the [scabbard] fish are jumping around and is the abode of krishNa who as a youth, tended the calves and lifted the gOvardhana hill and stood holding it as an umbrella back then (when indhra showered hail storm) for seven days; let us worship such abode, before our eyes shrink and dirt from the eyes start coming out, before the bile rises, and having attained old-age, coughing and stumbling due to walking in a stumbled manner due to the feet hitting each other and causing pain.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- pILai sOrak kaN idungi – Eyes becoming reduced in size [and power]; due to losing the wetness, dirt will accumulate.
- piththu ezha – Becoming very old. To have the limbs being very weak.
- thALgaL … – Instead of stumbling due to other tools/weapons or other aspects, one’s own feet will hit each other and cause pain. thALgaL thammil mutti – nOva – as the feet hit each other and cause pain. Still one would desirously try to walk; before walking in such stumbled manner.
- kALaiyAgi – One who grants equality to those who surrender unto him; one can become an eternally youthful person by surrendering to bhagavAn.
- kanRu mEyththu – One who protects without any hesitation/restriction to those who are to be protected.
- kunRam eduththanRu ninRAn – He will protect by doing great activities.
- vALai … – This is the abode where even those entities (fish) which have no qualification live joyfully.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org