SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In second pAsuram – AzhwAr mercifully explains the desire of his vAk indhriyam (organ for speech) which is subsequent to manas (mind) as said in “mana: pUrvO vAguththara:” (thoughts in mind culminate into speech).
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr says “My speech always explains his nature of eliminating the hurdles and making me exist fully for him”.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Second pAsuram. AzhwAr says “As said in ‘mana: pUrvO vAguththara:‘, vAk (speech) which is subsequent to manas [thoughts in mind], speech desired for the actions of mind and itself”.
nenjamE nIL nagarAga irundha en
thanjanE! thaNNilangaikkiRaiyaich cheRRa
nanjanE! gyAlam koLvAn kuRaLAgiya
vanjanE! ennum eppOdhum en vAsagamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
en vAsagam – my speech
eppOdhum – always
nenjamE – heart
nIL nagarAga – considering it as a big divine city
irundha – (due to his) residing
en thanjanE – Oh one who is a good companion!
thaN – cool (like a bee-hive which is filled with bees, the place which is filled with rAkshasas)
ilangaikku – for lankA
iRaiyai – rAvaNa who is the leader
cheRRa – finished
nanjanE – Oh one who became like a poison!
(Eliminating the pride of mahAbali)
gyAlam – earth
koLvAn – to make it fully exist for him
kuRaL Agiya – one assumed the form of a vAmana
vanjanE – Oh mischievous one!
ennum – will keep saying
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
My speech will always keep saying “Oh one who is a good companion due to his residing in my heart, considering it as a big divine city! Oh one who became like a poison and finished rAvaNa, the leader of cool lankA! Oh mischievous one who assumed the form of a vAmana to make the earth fully exist for him (after eliminating the pride of mahAbali)”.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- nenjamE … – This is the word of speech. Speech said “Would you always stay in the heart? Why don’t you spend some time with me too?”. By saying nenjamE (exclusively in heart), AzhwAr wonders “How other senses, paramapadham, kshIrAbdhi etc abodes, long for him in his absence?”. As said in periya thiruvanthAdhi 68 “kallum kanai kadalum vaikiundha vAnAdum pul enRu ozhindhanakol EpAvam” (Alas! (after entering my heart) looks like he is considering thiruvEnkatam, kshIrAbdhi, the upper world called as paramapadham etc as insignificant), what is happening to paramapadham and his presence there? Whatever attachment he has in “kalangAp perunagar” (big city which is never disturbed – mUnRAm thiruvanthAdhi 51), he shows the same in AzhwAr’s heart. His unfulfilled desires in paramapadham are fulfilled here only. He considered AzhwAr’s heart as the deficit-less abode. Only due to that [residing in the heart with full satisfaction and ignoring other abodes], his speech calls out for him.
- en thanjanE – AzhwAr shows gratitude to emperumAn for making him call out in this manner. Among samsAris (materialistic people), there is none who calls out for emperumAn like this. Because of this thoughts in his heart, he cries out for emperumAn like this.
- thaN ilangai … – Oh one who became a poison to rAvaNa who is the leader of beautiful lankA, by destroying him! thiruvadi (hanuman), who is never attracted and is totally detached to anything materialistic, himself saw the beauty of lankA and said as in SrI rAmAyaNam sundhara kANdam 49.17 “ahO vIryam ahO dhairyam ahO sathvam ahO dhyuthi:” (How valiant! How brave! How strong! How radiant!) [nampiLLai’s words “thiruvadi madhiththa aiSwaryamiRE” (opulence respected by hanuman himself)]. thaNmai indicates beauty.
- gyAlam … – Oh one who knows the knack to retrieve the earth which was snatched by mahAbali! emperumAn did not cut off his head like he did to rAvaNa since mahAbali had a little bit of audhAryam (generosity). It is the knack of sarvESvaran (supreme lord) himself assuming the form of a needy person and getting back the kingdom to indhra considering “he (mahAbali) had a pseudo virtue (of generosity)”.
- vanjanE – The mischief of assuming the form of a dwarf and cheating mahAbali, showing his small feet asking as in thiruvAimozhi 3.8.9 “mUvadi” (just three steps), measuring with huge feet, covering everything in two steps, imprisoned mahAbali using the third step. Here AzhwAr says “koLvAn” (emperumAn will keep it) since emperumAn considers indhra’s gain as his own. My speech is repeatedly speaking about this mischief. After meditating upon this mischief, my heart is not even desiring for SrI rAma’s honesty. In rAmAvathAram, emperumAn ensured that his greatness is not compromised; here (in vAmanAvathAram) he gave up his own greatness [to help indhra].
- eppOdhum – Like a hungry person will say “food! food!” [AzhwAr is saying this always].
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org