SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
In the end, AzhwAr says “those who practice this decad, whoever they may be, their kula (family tree), charaNa (SAkA – subdivision – the vEdha they belong to), gOthram (clan) etc will become irrelevant; due to their being engaged in singing these pAsurams, they will be identified as servitors of bhagavAn”.
கண்ணித் தண் அம் துழாய் முடிக் கமலத் தடம் பெருங் கண்ணனைப் – புகழ்
நண்ணி தென் குருகூர்ச் சடகோபன் மாறன் சொன்ன
எண்ணில் சோர்வு இல் அந்தாதி ஆயிரத்துள் இவையும் ஓர் பத்து இசையொடும்
பண்ணில் பாட வல்லார் அவர் கேசவன் தமரே
kaNNith thaN am thuzhAy mudik kamalath thadam perum kaNNanaip – pugazh
naNNith then kurugUrch chatakOpan mARan sonna
eNNil sOrvu il andhAdhi AyiraththuL ivaiyum Or paththu isaiyodum
paNNil pAda vallAr avar kESavan thamarE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
kaNNi – in the form of a garland
thaN – cool
am thuzhAy – being decorated with thuLasi
mudi – crown
kamalam – delight to watch like a lotus flower
thadam – broad
perum – wide
kaNNanai – one who is having divine eyes
pugazh – qualities (which make him unite with his devotees)
naNNi – reach
then – beautiful
kurugUr – being the leader of AzhwArthirunagari
mARan – having “mARan” as his family name
satakOpan – nammAzhwAr
sonna – mercifully compiled
eNNil – bhagavAn‘s wishes
sOrvil – without missing
andhAdhi – in the form of anthAdhi (last word of one pAsuram, being connected to the first word of next pAsuram)
AyiraththuL – in the thousand pAsurams
Or – distinct/unique
ivai paththum – these ten pAsurams
isaiyodum – with music
paNNil – with proper tune
pAda vallAr avar – those who can sing
kESavan thamar – will become inseparably related to sarvESvaran who is greater than all
Simple translation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn is wearing a crown which is decorated with cool and beautiful thuLasi in the form of a garland and he has broad and wide divine eyes; nammAzhwAr, the leader of AzhwArthirunagari, who has the family name “mARan”, approached such emperumAn’s qualities (which make him unite with his devotees); those who can sing these distinct/unique ten pAsurams, which are revealing bhagavAn‘s wishes and are part of the thousand pAsurams which are mercifully compiled by such AzhwAr, with music in a proper tune, will be inseparably related to sarvESvaran who is greater than all.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kaNNi … – Only now (after hearing AzhwAr saying that he will not leave emperumAn), emperumAn’s garlands became fresh, crown became well decorated and eyes became broad and shining.
- pugazh naNNi – AzhwAr being drenched in the love that was shown by emperumAn towards himself
- then kurugUrch chatakOpan mARan – one is his divine name (mARan); another explains him as being a terror for the enemies.
- eNNil sOrvil andhAdhi – after contemplating upon the love emperumAn has shown towards him, this decad which is part of the thousand pAsurams that reveals without missing any of such aspects that were enjoyed by AzhwAr
- isaiyodum paNNil pAda vallAr – those who are able to lovingly sing these pAsurams with music and tune. paN – music; isai – pitch variation – high pitch, low pitch etc, matching nicely.
- avar kESavan thamarE – Whoever they are, their kula, charaNa, gOthra etc become irrelevant; just as it is said in “viNNappam seyvArgaL” (aRaiyars who sing pAsurams with tune, i.e., without specifically identifying their name, surname etc., as they are simply identified by their title), due to this reason of singing these pAsurams, they will become bhagavAn‘s servitors.
Finally, nampiLLai summarizes the contents of this decad briefly.
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr eliminated emperumAn‘s doubt “what if AzhwAr leaves me?”
- In the second pAsuram, he explained the freshness acquired by emperumAn after having such doubt eliminated.
- In the third pAsuram, he became delighted thinking about emperumAn‘s generosity towards him.
- In the fourth pAsuram, when asked “what was his generosity towards you?”, he replies “he created detachment for matters other than bhagavAn“.
- In the fifth pAsuram, he said “after having detachment towards matters other than bhagavAn, having engaged in ultimate servitorship towards bhagavAn, I will never leave you”.
- In the sixth pAsuram, he said “You being the helper of your devotees, is there any worry for me?”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, he said “there is no worry for my relatives and their relatives”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, he explained the means that got him this result.
- In the ninth pAsuram, emperumAn desiring to know his heart, moves away a little bit and AzhwAr says “you cannot leave me”.
- In the tenth pAsuram, emperumAn says “I won’t leave you; but you need to ensure that you don’t leave me” and AzhwAr replies “there is no reason to leave you, who are related to me in all times (past, present and future) and in all manners”.
- In the end, AzhwAr explains the result for those who learnt this decad and completes the same.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org