srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end, AzhwAr says “those who learned this decade will eternally live in paramapadham; this is certain”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr mercifully says that the result of (learning) this decad is the attainment of paramapadham.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
In the end – AzhwAr says “Those who learned this decad, instead of staying in samsAram (material realm) where everything that is visible is suffering in separation from bhagavAn, will enter paramapadham (spiritual realm) where everyone who is visible is blissfully living in union with bhagavAn”.
சோராத எப் பொருட்கும் ஆதியாம் சோதிக்கே
ஆராத காதல் குருகூர்ச் சடகோபன்
ஓராயிரம் சொன்ன அவற்றுள் இவை பத்தும்
சோரார் விடார் கண்டீர் வைகுந்தம் திண்ணனவே
sOrAdha ep porutkum AdhiyAm sOdhikkE
ArAdha kAdhal kurukUrch chatakOpan
OrAyiram sonna avaRRuL ivai paththum
sOrAr vidAr kaNdIr vaikundham thiNNanavE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
sOrAdha – without leaving out even a single entity
epporutkum – for all entities
AdhiyAm – being the cause
sOdhikkE – one who is known by the term “paramjyOthi” [supreme effulgence]
ArAdha – insatiable
kAdhal – having affection
kurukUrch chatakOpan – nammAzhwAr
Or – unique
Ayiram – in thousand pAsurams,
sonna avaRRuL – among those which are spoken
ivai paththum – these 10 pAsurams (which are filled with great love)
sOrAr – ones who stick to (these pAsurams)
vaikundham – that paramapadham
thiNNana – certainly
vidAr kaNdIr – those who will never miss it
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Those who stick to these ten pAsurams amongst the unique thousand pAsurams which are spoken by AzhwAr who has insatiable affection towards bhagavAn who is known as paramjyOthi and who is the cause of everything, will certainly never miss to reach paramapadham.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- sOrAdha epporutkum AdhiyAm sOdhikkE – For descending upto AzhwAr and helping AzhwAr sustain himself, bhagavAn is highlighted as the Iswara (controller) of all and because of bonding with AzhwAr, he became radiant [jyOthi]. Before bonding with AzhwAr, his sarvESwarathvam (being the controller of all) seemed to have disappeared. If emperumAn fails AzhwAr, then his sarvESwarathvam will completely vanish. But, after bonding with AzhwAr to the full satisfaction of AzhwAr, he becomes controller of all.
- sOdhikkE – Instead of considering the loss/gain as AzhwAr‘s, bhagavAn considers fulfilling AzhwAr’s desires as his own gain and not doing so is his own loss – so after AzhwAr’s desire was fulfilled, bhagavAn‘s form became radiant [out of happiness]. He became as explained in samkshEpa rAmAyaNam “… kruthakruthya: …” (After crowning vibhIshaNa as the king of lankA, srI rAma felt as one who has performed all his duties and one who was relieved from fever).
- ArAdha kAdhal – It is explained in this decad – AzhwAr‘s great affection towards emperumAn, which makes him think that all the entities he sees are suffering in separation from emperumAn like he himself is going through.
- kAdhal kurukUrch chatakOpan – AzhwAr is identified by his love/affection [krishNa thrushNA thathvam]. Only he himself can explain his nature.
- sonna – He spoke thiruvAimozhi with this great love.
- avaRRuL ivai paththum – if we compare this decad with the rest of thiruvAimozhi, this decad reveals AzhwAr‘s love fully (unlike other decads).
- ivai paththum sOrAr vidAr kaNdIr vaikundham – those who suffered here for all entities which were seen that they are suffering in separation, will give up this place and reach paramapadham where every visible person is fully and joyfully engaging with bhagavAn and eternally be blissful there. By saying “kaNdIr“, AzhwAr is raising his hands and showing “see for yourself”.
- thiNNanavE – this is most-certain; if we say something based on the matters/persons of this material realm, there is room for doubt, but when it is said based on bhagavAn‘s abilities/greatness, there is no doubt.
From the first pAsuram, AzhwAr grieved for crane, ibis, sea, wind, cloud, moon, darkness, salt-pan, oil-lamp and became very week. At that time, emperumAn arrives there and AzhwAr says to him “Never leave me hereafter” and explains the result for those who learned this decad.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE charaNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE charaNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE charaNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next decad.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org