SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
Highlights from avathArikai (Introduction)
No specific introduction.
vaNdu thaN thEn uNdu vAzhum vadhari nedumAlaik
kaNdal vEli mangai vEndhan kaliyan oli mAlai
koNdu thoNdar pAdi Adak kUdidil nIL visumbil
aNdam allAl maRRavarkku OrAtchi aRiyOmE
vaNdu – beetles
thaN thEn – cool honey
uNdu – drink
vAzhum – living joyfully
vadhari – mercifully residing in SrI badhari
nedumAlai – on the supreme lord
kaNdal – thAzhai (a type of plant)
vEli – as protective fence
mangai – for thirumangai
vEndhan – king
kaliyan – mercifully spoken by AzhwAr
oli mAlai koNdu – with this decad which is having a garland of words
thoNdar – servitors
pAdi – sing
Adak kUdidil – if they can dance
nIL visumbil allAl – other than in paramapadham
maRRu – any other
Or aNdam – a world
avarkku – for them
Atchi aRiyOm – won’t rule
The supreme lord is mercifully residing in SrI badhari where beetles are drinking the cool honey and living joyfully; AzhwAr is the king of thirumangai region which is having thAzhai plants as protective fence; those servitors who sing and dance with this decad which is having a garland of words, will not rule any world other than paramapadham.
Highlights from vyAkyAnam (Commentary)
- vaNdu thaN thEn … – This SrI badhari is the abode where every sentient entity will live joyfully having attained its desires. AzhwAr glorified sarvESvaran who has arrived and is residing in such SrI badhari, through these pAsurams.
- kaNdal vEli – kaNdal = thAzhai. Since the ocean is in close proximity, thAzhai plants will be there. The garland of words composed by AzhwAr who is the king of thirumangi region which is having blossomed thAzhai plants as fence.
- koNdu thoNdar pAdi Adak kUdidil – Having these pAsurams, if the devotees who determined to serve as in thiruvAimozhi 3.3.1 “vazhuvilA adimai seyya vENdum” (would like to serve without any break) gathered to sing and dance.
- nIL visumbu – Collection of the higher worlds; among those,
- aNdam allAl – Other than aNdam (paramapadham), they won’t rule any other place; alternative explanation – nIL visumbu – paramapadham, other than that they won’t rule any other world. In the prakruthi (primordial matter) and prAkrutham (worldly matters), the defects he mercifully explained are very clearly experienced by us; similarly, his instructions in bhagavath vishayam will also be truthful; hence, it is apt for chEthanas (sentient beings), to abandon what AzhwAr highlights to be abandoned and pursue what he highlights to be pursued.
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org