srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
nammAzhwAr – kAnchIpuram
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains eternal experience with bhagavAn as the result of this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
uchchi uLLE niRkum dhEva dhEvaRkuk kaNNa pirARku
ichchaiyuL sella uNarththi vaN kurukUrch chatakOpan
ichchonna AyiraththuL ivaiyum Or paththu em pirARku
nichchalum viNNappam seyya nIL kazhal senni porumE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
uchchi uLLE niRkum – (thus) staying on my head
dhEva dhEvaRku – for the god of gods
kaNNa pirARku – maganimous krishNa who has both supremacy (pirAn) and simplicity (krishNa)
ichchai – (his) affection (towards AzhwAr)
uL – inside (AzhwAr)
sella – occur, having realised
uNarththi – informing that (to him)
vaN kurukUrch chatakOpan – nammAzhwAr (who is the most liberal leader of the place named AzhwArthirunagari)
ichchonna AyiraththuL – In the thousand pAsurams mercifully given by him
ivai – these (which talk about emperumAn‘s union with AzhwAr)
Or – distinct, incomparable
paththu – ten pAsurams
em pirARku – to emperumAn
viNNappam seyya – recite to him
nIL – those which are so long that they reach up to his devotees
kazhal – his divine, lotus feet
senni – in the heads of those (who recite)
nichchalum – every day, always
porum – will be fixed.
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
For those who recite to emperumAn these ten pAsurams which are in the mood of enjoying emperumAn’s union among the thousand pAsurams, the divine, lotus feet (which reach up to his devotees) of kaNNan emperumAn who has both supremacy and simplicity, will be on their head forever.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Where was bhagavAn planning to go next?
- uchchi uLLE niRkum – He, who is the flower that decorates the head of nithyasUris (eternally free souls), realising that there is nothing more fragrant than my head, stayed right there. It is also explained as “since he is staying in my head, he becomes dhEva dhEva (god of gods).
- uLLE niRkum – there is nowhere else better than my head.
- dhEva dhEvaRku – Being the lord of nithyasUris is considered insignificant by him (in comparison to staying on AzhwAr‘s head).
- kaNNa pirARku – krishNa who is most helpful.
- ichchai uL sella uNarththi – Informing to emperumAn that he realised how affectionate emperumAn is towards him.
- vaN kurukUrch chatakOpan – the magnanimous AzhwAr, who did not stop with just informing to sarvESvaran, but also made this available even for samsAris/materialists (by being born in AzhwArthirunagari and giving thiruvAimozhi to every one).
- ichchonna … – the ten pAsurams among the thousand which were recited with this mood (of union)
- em pirARku … – On reciting this to emperumAn, his divine feet will stay connected with the head forever. “em pirAn” indicates, emperumAn’s magnanimous act of approaching AzhwAr step-by-step and making AzhwAr forget about the lost time (until he was blessed). Unlike AzhwAr who received this mercy step-by-step, those who recite this decad, will receive the mercy immediately. There is no separate fruit for this decad as “uchchiyuLLE niRkum“, bhagavAn staying on the head itself is the result.
Final summary from nampiLLai:
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn arrived in his vicinity.
- In the second pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn approached his close proximity, after AzhwAr was able to understood the first stage.
- In the third pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn stayed right next to him.
- In the fourth pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn climbed his hip and stayed there.
- In the fifth pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn entered his heart.
- In the sixth pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn climbed his shoulders and stayed there.
- In the seventh pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn entered his tongue.
- In the eighth pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn entered his eyes and stayed there.
- In the ninth pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn stayed in his forehead.
- In the tenth pAsuram, AzhwAr said that bhagavAn climbed his head.
- Finally, he said that since emperumAn bonded with him step-by-step, he placed emperumAn on his head. He completes the decad with (that) result.
Thus ends the English translation for thiruvAimozhi 1st centum 9th decad.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE charaNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE charaNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE charaNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next padhigam (decad).
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org