srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the third pAsuram, AzhwAr contemplates emperumAn‘s relationship with srI mahAlakshmi which is the cause of his easy approachable nature towards his devotees and instructs his mind “Oh humble heart! worship him”.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
See nanjIyar‘s introduction.
Third pAsuram – AzhwAr tells his heart “You have seen his nature [of being equal towards all in helping them]; you too should behave according to your nature [of servitude towards him]”.
எம் பிரானை எந்தை தந்தை தந்தைக்கும்
தம் பிரானை தண் தாமரைக் கண்ணனை
கொம்பு அராவு நுண் நேர் இடை மார்பனை
எம்பிரானைத் தொழாய் மட நெஞ்சமே
em pirAnai endhai thandhai thandhaikkum
tham pirAnaith thaN thAmaraik kaNNanai
kombu arAvu nuN nEr idai mArbanai
em pirAnaith thozhAy mada nenjamE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
madam – having humility to obey the instructions
nenjamE – Oh heart!
em – my
pirAnai – One who favours (by bestowing adhvEsham (not having hatred), Abhimukyam (friendliness) etc)
endhai thandhai thandhaikkum – for our clan (instead of stopping with just us)
tham pirAnai – being the master
thaN – cool vision (due to this relationship between us)
thAmaraik kaNNanai – having lotus eyes
kombu – a type of wind instrument (like a horn)
arAvu – snake
nuN – leaner than
nEr – honest/straight
idai – srI mahAlakshmi who is having such waist
mArbanai – having in the chest
em pirAnai – master
thozhAy – worship him
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
Oh humble/obedient heart! Please attempt to worship emperumAn who favours us with adhvEsham, Abhimukyam etc., towards him, who is the master of our entire clan, one who is having lotus-like eyes which shed coolness towards all, who has in his chest srI mahAlakhmi who has very thin straight waist (which is leaner than a kombu and snake).
sriya:pathithvam (being master of srI mahAlakshmi) is the reason for all his auspicious qualities indicated here. arAvu – aravu (in expanded form). arAvu also means reducing, i.e., even if the kombu is reduced to be very thin, still her waist is thinner in comparison.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- em pirAnai – contemplating on the simplicity of emperumAn which was highlighted in the previous pAsuram, AzhwAr says “my master”.
- endhai thandhai thandhaikkum tham pirAnai – AzhwAr says “Not only emperumAn helped me with causeless grace, but he is the master for my entire clan”.
On hearing AzhwAr‘s praises, emperumAn who knows the distinction of the praising of prayOjanAntharapara (one who desires for ulterior goals) and ananyaprayOjana (one who is fully situated in servitude only), blessed him with his merciful glance.
- thaN thAmaraik kaNNanai – cool lotus-eyed bhagavAn.
AzhwAr wondered, why is emperumAn blessing him (since he considers himself as not having done anything favourable towards emperumAn), when emperumAn himself said in srI bhagavath gIthA 16.19 “thAnaham dhvishatha: krUrAn samsArEshu narAdhamAn | kshipAmi … ” (Those who offend me, who hate me, who are cruel in nature, who are dirty, who are lowest among mankind, I place such persons repeatedly in this ocean of birth and in demoniac births which are unfavourable to attain me) and realised the one who triggers such blessing is seated in close proximity of emperumAn.
- kombarAvu nuN nEridai mArbanai – emperumAn having srI mahAlakshmi in his chest. two explanations for thAyAr‘s waist:
- thAyAr‘s waist looking like kombu and aravu, yet leaner than those. aravu is expanded as arAvu.
- arAvu also means reducing/sharpening. Here it means, her waist appears to be even reduced in size in comparison to kombu.
- em pirAnai – AzhwAr saying “em pirAnai” once specifically to glorify the togetherness of perumAL and thAyAr.
- thozhAy – The worshippable object is a divine couple [so, you worship].
- mada nenjamE – My heart is so obedient/qualified to receive the instruction “thozhudhu ezhu” (worship and arise)
In the next article we will enjoy the next pAsuram.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org