srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImath varavaramunayE nama:
Introduction for this pAsuram
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s introduction
No specific introduction.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s introduction
In the end – AzhwAr says that this decad will eradicate all the difficulties which are obstacles for bhakthi.
Highlights from vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s introduction
Subsequently, AzhwAr explains removal of the great disease of samsAram (material life) as the result of this decad.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s introduction
Similar to nanjIyar‘s introduction.
kudainthu vaNdu uNNum thuzhAy mudiyAnai
adaintha then kurukUrch chatakOpan
midaintha sol thodai Ayiraththu ippaththu
udainthu nOygaLai OduvikkumE
Word-by-Word meanings (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
vaNdu – bumble bees
kudainthu – submerged
uNNum – eating the honey
thuzhAy – thuLasi
mudiyAnai – sarvEsvaran who is having it on his head
adaintha – (by all means) rich
then – most benevolent
kurukUrch chatakOpan – nammAzhwAr‘s
midaintha – closely knit
sol – words
thodai – having poetic meter
Ayiraththu ippaththu – this decad among the thousand pAsurams of thiruvAimozhi
nOygaLai – great disease (of actions that are result of ahankAra, wealth, lust)
udainthu – breaking them
Oduvikkum – will make them leave instantaneously
Simple transalation (based on vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s 12000 padi)
emperumAn‘s divine head is decorated with closely placed thuLasi leaves that are filled with honey in which bumble bees are submerged while drinking them. The most benevolent nammAzhwAr who is from AzhwArthirunagari glorified such emperumAn in this decad which is among the thousand pAsurams of thiruvAimozhi which are compiled with beautiful words and poetic meter. Such decad will eradicate the great disease of samsAram after breaking it into pieces.
Highlights from thirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn‘s vyAkyAnam
See vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar‘s translation.
Highlights from nanjIyar‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
Highlights from periyavAchchAn piLLai‘s vyAkyAnam
See nampiLLai‘s vyAkyAnam.
- kudainthu vaNduNNum thuzhAy mudiyAnai – emperumAn who is wearing divine crown which is decorated by thuLasi garland – the bumble bees who entered into the garland seeking honey (like delving into an ocean), happily consumed the honey and even after all the honey was extracted, stay there not wanting to leave. Such emperumAn is glorified here.
- adaintha thenkurukUrch chatakOpan – Just like those bumble bees unable to back out of the honey in thuLasi leaves, AzhwAr who is unable to withdraw from enjoying bhagavAn. Such AzhwAr mercifully compiled this decad.
- midaintha sol thodai Ayiraththu ippaththu – Though the pAsurams are an outpouring of overflowing emotions of AzhwAr, the words too want to participate in the service and request AzhwAr to use them in his pAsurams. For those who can recite this decad among the thousand pAsurams, their sins which makes them think aiswaryam (wealth – worldly pleasures), kaivalyam (self-enjoyment) as the goal will leave.
- nOygaLai udainthu Oduvikkum – Even while (the effect of) those sins leaving him – they won’t leave as a whole. They will be broken into pieces and driven out as explained in periya thirumozhi 8.10.7 “vaLLalE! un thamarkku enRum naman thamar kaLLar pOl” (Oh most benevolent! for your devotees, yama dharmarAja’s assistants are like totally unwanted [they won’t even approach them]).
Final summary from nampiLLai:
- In the first pAsuram, AzhwAr censured the kEvalar [those desirous for self-enjoyment].
- In the second pAsuram, AzhwAr explained the attitude of emperumAn towards those who are fully existing for him.
- In the third pAsuram, when asked “Of these two categories, which one do you belong to?”, AzhwAr replied “I just enjoyed you and my obstacles got removed”.
- In the fourth pAsuram, AzhwAr asked “What reason I can say to leave emperumAn who transformed me like this?”.
- In the fifth pAsuram, AzhwAr said “when the gOpis of AyarpAdi leaves krishNa, I will leave him”.
- In the sixth pAsuram, when asked “What if he leaves?”, AzhwAr replied “I will not allow that”.
- In the seventh pAsuram, when asked “What if you leave him?”, AzhwAr replied “He will not let me leave him”.
- In the eighth pAsuram, when asked “did he not let you be separate from him in samsAram until now?”, AzhwAr replied “now that I have approached him with nappinnai pirAtti’s [nILA dhEvi’s] recommendation, even he himself cannot leave me”.
- In the ninth pAsuram, AzhwAr said “why is this question even arises? once we have mixed together, it will be impossible to separate us”.
- In the tenth pAsuram, AzhwAr said “I will eternally enjoy the auspicious qualities and will not become tired”.
- Finally, he explains the result for those who practices this decad.
Thus ends the English translation for thiruvAimozhi 1st centum 7th decad.
AzhwAr thiruvadigaLE charaNam
emperumAnAr thiruvadigaLE charaNam
piLLAn thiruvadigaLE charaNam
nanjIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
nampiLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
vadakkuth thiruvIdhip piLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
periyavAchchAn piLLai thiruvadigaLE charaNam
vAdhi kEsari azhagiya maNavALa jIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
jIyar thiruvadigaLE charaNam
In the next article we will enjoy the next padhigam (decad).
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in http://divyaprabandham.koyil.org
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com
pramAthA (preceptors) – http://acharyas.koyil.org
srIvaishNava education/kids portal – http://pillai.koyil.org